Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 11:26 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,234,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I meant nothing at all racial by it. I was just questioning whether the people who supposedly have this amount of wealth (according to the study, whites) really have it. I wasn't even looking at the disparity between what whites and minorities have. Don't understand how you see it as such....

I'm white, I don't have it. Does that help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 11:32 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,292,553 times
I am not sure that the question of racial superiority is at play. Rather, the question, at least to me, is one of cultural superiority. Really, this does not involve Asians, who have cultural values very much like Whites. You, codexone, introduced the idea of Asian superiority. On the other hand, Black American culture is painfully and obviously dysfunctional and self-defeating. If we refuse to recognize this, and continue to blame outcomes such as the reported wealth gap on victimization, then no progress will ever be made.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:45 AM

116 posts, read 212,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
I am not sure that the question of racial superiority is at play. Rather, the question, at least to me, is one of cultural superiority. Really, this does not involve Asians, who have cultural values very much like Whites. You were the one who introduced the idea of Asian superiority.
The quote below makes it a question of racial superiority of whites or targeted racial inferiority of blacks and hispanics which as per my argument over the plethora of data points refutes.

Quote:
"By the most recent data, the average white family had about $632,000 in wealth, versus $98,000 for black families and $110,000 for Hispanic families."
The plethora of data points in my earlier posts also dismisses the idea of cultural superiority. How can you argue that 'white culture' or 'western culture' or 'american cluture' is superior when the western world's GDP domination was only for 450 odd years while wealth and innovation flourished in Asia for 1200 years before that?

Quote:
On the other hand, Black American culture is painfully and obviously dysfunctional and self-defeating. If we refuse to recognize this, and continue to blame outcomes such as the reported wealth gap on victimization, then no progress will ever be made.
Nope. Blacks and Hispanics have had 50 years since true emancipation and you cannot judge them as a group in this limited time period to the wealth accumulated by 'white america'. Your disdain is not needed. All that needs to be done is to give equal opportunity to all and recognize merit and not write columns like the OP started a discussion about.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:05 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
The Urban Institute released a study to show the disparity between the wealth of whites versus minorities (Hispanic and black---don't think they included Asians).

"By the most recent data, the average white family had about $632,000 in wealth, versus $98,000 for black families and $110,000 for Hispanic families."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/29/bu...ewanted=1&_r=0

Wealth is defined as assets like savings, retirement accounts, and house minus liabilities of mortgage and credit card debt.

I find it very surprising that wealth would be this high since no one I know has anywhere close to this. But since it's averaged, is it just that the wealthiest people skew it so high? Is it really possible for such a small percentage to skew it so high? I guess it must be, because the median wealth tells a far different story: $77,300, where half have more than this and half less.

Family net worth plummets 40% - Jun. 11, 2012
Averages are often used to make a point agenda based. For example more white are on food stamps but it tells little because that means more wihite are at those levels of income not the per centage by popualtion. It lie comparig a perosn at pverty elevl to one just above ;the differeneces in real income from all subsidises is not accounted in poverty figures.Same as welth figure showig that 90% of we wealth is heal by tose over 50 but that makes since since they have had more time to accumulate wealth and l;ikely to be saving more eve tha younger people on same income.Its easy toi save 1500 a month just by reach age where you home is apid off in direct cost.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:27 PM

4,063 posts, read 2,145,448 times
Okay---this thread is going way off topic. I just found it interesting to read that $632,000 was the average wealth since the media always talks about people being underwater with their mortgages, high credit card debt, no savings, etc. And most of the people I know don't seem to have this much wealth (yes, I know in some social circles they have this much and much more).

I wasn't looking at the racial aspects of it at all, although as I commented in my OP, I did find it interesting that Asians weren't included as one of the minorities (possibly because their wealth may be as much or more than white Americans).

I suggest the moderator close this thread.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codexone View Post
The quote below . . . about.
Dear young Indian immigrant -- You have a lot to learn about the United States. If you insist on staying here, perhaps you will learn, eventually. But if you disapprove of the dominant American culture and don't think that you can adjust, then please consider this to be a formal, sincere invitation to repatriate.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Dear young Indian immigrant -- You have a lot to learn about the United States. If you insist on staying here, perhaps you will, eventually. If you disapprove of the dominant American culture and don't think that you can adjust, then please consider this to be a formal, sincere invitation to repatriate.
I can and will stay here and continue to disapprove and repudiate the things I don't agree with. Your request for my repatriation is denied.

Quoting this off-topic post and reporting to moderators as a threat.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I can and will stay here and continue to disapprove and repudiate the things I don't agree with. Your request for my repatriation is denied.

Quoting this off-topic post and reporting to moderators as a threat.
Your interpretation of my comment as a threat makes just about as little sense as your other contributions to this thread.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Your interpretation of my comment as a threat makes just about as little sense as your other contributions to this thread.
Compared to your contributions that I ripped apart with years of data from wikipedia?

Old 04-29-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Compared to your contributions that I ripped apart with years of data from wikipedia?
About your making little sense: QED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics