Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ARE THE LOW WAGES PART OF USA PROBLEMS?
Yes 102 51.78%
No 95 48.22%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 09:31 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,713,493 times

Advertisements

$10.00 an hour, put money in the hands of those who will spend it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 09:38 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,127,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
So as the title suggests. Why is the minimum wage in USA so low? And another thing half the populations works for like $10/Hr or less. I think it's one of the problem in USA which has hurt the economy to some extent ever since the year 1990 when nominal prices (forget real prices as they'll paint a worst picture) started to outpace wages which have stagnated.

How are people meant to pay so much student debt , car debt, insurance, etc etc on such low starting wages!!!?

The reality is that the average wages aren't bad, it's just that the minimum wages are bad. And how so much people work for the minimum or very close to it.

Here in Australia the minimum wages are generous. You put more money in people's pocket, they spend that money and everyone is happy. I was working at a fast food and was making $20-$22/Hr

No one here will work for less than $20/Hr

I think the high wages has helped the Australian economy lots.

Unleaded gas is $1.38/L here in Sydney.
Are those prices in Australian Dollars or US Dollars? Does the exchange rate play a factor?

Old 11-19-2012, 10:55 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times
Te reraqson is that minimum wages waqs meant to set a standrad for teens working partime jobs at entry no skills level. It is a problem that mnay think they can earn a living at those jobs tho.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:43 AM

3,715 posts, read 5,271,699 times
Australia is more expensive than USA in housing aspect so u need to make more. You will be better off working for $10hr in lets say Orlando, Fl or in Austin, tx than working for minimum wage (£6,19) in UK. I dont think USA minmum wage is too bad but not great either, should be raised to 9-10 per hour if it was up to me, but you are wrong, most people dont work for as little as 10ph or less, thats how much unskilled labour gets

Old 11-19-2012, 12:50 PM

21,872 posts, read 25,187,651 times
Slightly over 2% of workers make the minimum wage, so it's not really that signifcant. The median wage for full-time workers in 2005 was also $39,000 a year, or $19.50/hour, not $10.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:03 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,723,289 times
I've noticed part-time workers usually get very low wages, a few cents an hour over minimum, maybe, and no health benefits. But full-time workers get $20-$40 an hour, depending on type of business, position & skills. Plus they almost always get medical. Some of those part-time jobs that pay only a few cents over minimum are union jons, so they must pay dues as well.

We need some sort of correction. Some possibilities: $10 an hour minimum for all.

Employers can start at current minimum wage, but must give an increase every year, which they shouldn't mind if experienced is preferred over know-nothing trainees.

A 2 tier minimum wage, say one for under 18 (living with parents=low expenses) & a higher minimum wage for those on their own or wanting to move out.

I'd guess some of you might have some other ideas to add. Will be interesting to see how Black Friday sales works for Walmart if they have no employees. Best wishes.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:09 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,837,303 times
Inflation is certainly a serious problem, but like it has already been said, raising pay means raising costs for goods/services so it's not a be-all, end-all solution. I think the real problem here is that banks have too much pull in society and people are plain and simply borrowing too much money for houses, cars, and especially education. Don't get me wrong. I'm glad that people can get loans, but it's gotten a bit overboard. People are relying on loans and credit to pay for big things and this leaves less money for them to actually live on and it goes on and on into a vicious cycle of debt slavery.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:13 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,127,458 times
Most people don't stay in a minimum wage for 30-40 years. A minimum wage job is a rite of passage for students. Many people take these kinds of jobs, while going through school. We all have to start somewhere.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:16 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,837,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Most people don't stay in a minimum wage for 30-40 years. A minimum wage job is a rite of passage for students. Many people take these kinds of jobs, while going through school. We all have to start somewhere.
Actually teenaged and young adult unemployment is pretty high due to all of the adults presently stuck in minimum wage and entry-level jobs.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:17 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,132,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
I've noticed part-time workers usually get very low wages, a few cents an hour over minimum, maybe, and no health benefits. But full-time workers get $20-$40 an hour, depending on type of business, position & skills. Plus they almost always get medical. Some of those part-time jobs that pay only a few cents over minimum are union jons, so they must pay dues as well.

We need some sort of correction. Some possibilities: $10 an hour minimum for all.

Employers can start at current minimum wage, but must give an increase every year, which they shouldn't mind if experienced is preferred over know-nothing trainees.

A 2 tier minimum wage, say one for under 18 (living with parents=low expenses) & a higher minimum wage for those on their own or wanting to move out.

I'd guess some of you might have some other ideas to add. Will be interesting to see how Black Friday sales works for Walmart if they have no employees. Best wishes.
Forcing raises is NOT a good idea.

It will mean people being let go because they are not more productive than they cost! (people for work for others do not think of this)

WHY should someone get more just for doing the minimum for a length of time?

One of the guys I hired, went from $10/hour to $13/hour in 6ish months.

He was willing to work, worked hard, and learned new skills.

One pay raise was given when it was seen, 2 others he asked for, made a case for, and got.

If a worker is worth the money, he will be paid it to stay on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics