Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 05:00 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,035,095 times

Advertisements

Want to baby-sit my two? Yours sounds lovely.

One is 7, the other is a pup....BOTH still get into things they arent supposed to. Ive had to booby trap my house with bells, hide all my shoes...and books, and newspapers, and plants,...and laundry now, because Jasper has taught Jupiter how to open doors. Jupiter has taught Jasper the fun of unrolling the toilet paper.

Woke up one morning to find that Jupi had happily ripped a branch off my Christmas tree and was gnawing on it...If the vet makes Jasper mad, he'll pee on said vet. Vet now wears a plastic apron when Jasper comes to visit. Jupi tries to eat the trainer's shoelaces...and there's this puppy in his class thats smaller than he is (a novelty to him, I guess) that he loves to try to hump.
Jasper is leash-trained...unless he sees a squirrel. Then Im in trouble. This will sound nutty,but if he gets gas I swear he'll aim his butt at my mother on purpose and let it loose..Dog farts have run us out of the living room on more than one occasion

I still love my hellions though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 05:26 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,419,471 times
He sounds like a lively young dog with hound tendencies!
I adopted a beagle/basset who was about eight from a co-worker, after a shelter and probably abandonment.
I still have the child locks on the cabinets. I lost a lot of dishes when he knocked them out of my hand to get food. His baying could cut steak. And then he'd curl up and sleep against me or on my feet and was just adorable. I'd like to think he could have been trained somewhat when younger, but I do hear that the hounds are fairly wild when younger (and might always "see red" when it comes to food).
Your pooch sounds like a lot more good than negative- look at your list!

Old 01-15-2010, 06:15 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,051,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Our dog isn't quite that bad.

He's a papered basset hound. We're his third owner. His first got rid of him because he ate pills. The second loved him but couldn't have him inside the house all the time.

Our dog doesn't chew as much anymore. He's mostly grown out of that. But he breaks blinds. Since he's been fixed, he doesn't pee on potted plants anymore. But he is very frustrating. Fortunately, he is asleep on the couch right now, and he usually sleeps through the night. But it is difficult to correct the behavior. As soon as you notice it, he's already done it.
You have not responded to the question that was asked...

How much exercise is he getting??? Like, going for walks... fetching.. playing ball... etc.

It sounds as though the thing that he needs most (besides training) is exercise!

Old 01-15-2010, 06:49 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,618,516 times
True, true...

Ours gets loads...we get up early enough that he can have a 45 min. to an hour walk before we go to work...and we NEVER skip it. He gets another 45 min-1 hour long walk whenever the first of us to get home gets home. When weather was warmer/days were longer, he got another 45-min to an hour in the evening, before bed...since it's been cold and snowy, we've truncated that one to about 10-15 min., around a couple of blocks. We'll go back to the other schedule when it gets warm again/days get longer.

So he gets, at best, three hours of exercise in a day, at at the least, an hour and forty minutes. I can't imagine to think about his behavior if he DIDN'T get that much.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Want to baby-sit my two? Yours sounds lovely.

One is 7, the other is a pup....BOTH still get into things they arent supposed to. Ive had to booby trap my house with bells, hide all my shoes...and books, and newspapers, and plants,...and laundry now, because Jasper has taught Jupiter how to open doors. Jupiter has taught Jasper the fun of unrolling the toilet paper.

Woke up one morning to find that Jupi had happily ripped a branch off my Christmas tree and was gnawing on it...If the vet makes Jasper mad, he'll pee on said vet. Vet now wears a plastic apron when Jasper comes to visit. Jupi tries to eat the trainer's shoelaces...and there's this puppy in his class thats smaller than he is (a novelty to him, I guess) that he loves to try to hump.
Jasper is leash-trained...unless he sees a squirrel. Then Im in trouble. This will sound nutty,but if he gets gas I swear he'll aim his butt at my mother on purpose and let it loose..Dog farts have run us out of the living room on more than one occasion

I still love my hellions though.
Our recent casualties:

-chewed through the cord of the vaccuum
-chewed through the cord of brand new laptop
-chewed a hole in the middle of my expensive queen sized down comforter, which he's been sleeping on for months without incident (this while I was lying under it, propped up in bed, reading...I thought he was chewing his Kong, which he lies with at the foot of the bed at night, until I heard fabric rip...I looked over my book, and there he was, Kong at his side, ripping out feathers).
-The Big Lebowski and case (stolen from on top of the TV, and gnawed when I left the room to answer a ringing phone)

He also learned over the past month to open cupboards, remove jars, and open them.

Garbage and dirty laundry, he's shredded from day one...we learned quickly to keep both in the basement, and the door to that is one of the few he can't open by himself.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:16 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,551,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I do think they get nuts with the winter. Mine needs a lot of exercise and is luckier than most someone is home with her 24/7 and she gets many walks. But in the brutal cold you just can't say "I am going to walk the dog like I do in Spring or Summer or Fall." You just can't do it. Not up here anyhow.

All I can say is to repeat a tired dog is a good dog. However, getting a dog tired takes A LOT of time and effort if you have a high energy breed.

Also, the dogs need to know what you want from them. Often it is a communications problem. My dog has taken to sleeping on our beds (I only allow her on top of the bedspread). Well, I just went up to check on her and she had dug a nest on my side of the bed (of course) pulling down the spread and she was sleeping on my blanket. I shooed her off and remade the bed. She ran away into my son's room and went to sleep on his bed.
I can tell that Ringo is missing his walks! We've had like one decent day in the past month and that was yesterday. Even then - it was hard to walk with snow/ice covering all the sidewalks with cars flying by constantly. Yes, I agree that dogs go nuts in the winter!

Our agility trainer used to say all the time ' a tired dog is a happy dog' and I tend to think she is right.

Usually after a long walk, both dogs will lay right down and settle in for a good nap.

Perhaps the OP could try this if weather permits.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:26 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,990,239 times
My wife offered to sell our yellow lab, Bailey, to a plumber that was doing work on our house when our pup was about a year and a half old. I don't think she was serious...well, at least not 100%! Add him to our black lab, Jack, his litter mate and we had our share of bad days!

For us, being disciplined with training and exercise were the key. They still got into trouble but they learned and they actually settled down by about 2. They are 6 now and they still get into trouble. They still love remote control and bread products (don't ask!) But, we don't lose nearly as many articles of clothing...

Well, that was until we added the third lab, our rescue dog Daisy. She is about 3 years old and we've had her for 2 years. She has a fetish for socks, pajamas and butter, yes, butter!

We wholeheartedly agree with the 'a tired dog is a happy dog' mantra. Our dogs get at least 2 walks a day (sometimes their afternoon walk is replaced with a romp in one of the various dog open spaces here in Denver) and they go on hikes in the mountains on weekends. We don't really have a choice with the weather...snow, freezing cold temps, doesn't matter..they go on their walks. Believe me, -5 at 4:30am is not fun but it is better than dealing with the consequences!

Old 01-15-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
He sounds like a lively young dog with hound tendencies!
I adopted a beagle/basset who was about eight from a co-worker, after a shelter and probably abandonment.
I still have the child locks on the cabinets. I lost a lot of dishes when he knocked them out of my hand to get food. His baying could cut steak. And then he'd curl up and sleep against me or on my feet and was just adorable. I'd like to think he could have been trained somewhat when younger, but I do hear that the hounds are fairly wild when younger (and might always "see red" when it comes to food).
Your pooch sounds like a lot more good than negative- look at your list!
I'm pretty sure that his nose for food will always and forever transcend any and all obedience training, though I'm sure others would beg to differ. He is absolultely ruled by his nose. I harbor no illusions that he will ever sit idly by when there is food in any way accessible to him. He's a total chowhound.

What you write about frantically destroying dishes to get at food, and then curling up against you to sleep, adorably, is soooooooooo Willie. Amazingly, however, he only very rarely bays. He's overall pretty quiet, all things considered.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:27 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,842,103 times
Ours plays with our other dogs quite a bit. They run around the house and he likes to be tied up outside and he walks around quite a bit out there. He likes to go for walks, but that's hard to do without a choke chain.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:45 PM

Willie pretty much despises being staked out, even briefly (which is really all he's ever tied out for, brief periods, when it's nice out...we didn't used to do that, until we learned that he'll scale the fence to pursue a rabbit if he sees one. Now we have to tie him to avoid escape artistry, if he's not on leash. We walk him with a harness; walking him with the leash attached to his collar is unpleasant for all parties, because he doesn't like the feel and pulls until he chokes. He doesn't pull with the harness, though, likes the feel of it much more.

We don't have other dogs, but he plays well with my brothers' dogs when we visit family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs