Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2007, 08:46 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times

Advertisements

I got a call today that one of the puppies I placed is being returned to us. This aggrivates me because the reason is that they don't have time to train the dog. But while she was really tiny and cute they kept her and now will return her as an untrained adult that will be hard to place! Can't stand people like that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 09:11 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
It took them all that time to realize they 'didn't have time' to train?

How awful...let's pull their dog license away from them...oh that's right, any moron can get a dog !

Well, there are some upsides - at least YOU got the dog back, she could have ended up anywhere, so it's better that she is back with you. Hopefully, she's still young enough that you can quickly undo the lousy job they did. Better she gets a second chance than end up living her whole life with people that really don't care for her - sure doesn't sound like they bonded with her.

What kind of dog?

Old 05-12-2007, 10:21 AM

So Candy is back. Now I work with a beagle rescue, but this litter of puppies were beagle and minature daschund mixes. We knew they were way more daschund than beagle when we adopted them out...but oh my...she is all mini doxie!!! My husband is totally in love with her and may be failing fostering, which would be bad...we already have three dogs (because he has failed before...LOL). So I don't think Candy will have to go to any more homes.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:58 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
Lucky dog!

Old 05-13-2007, 04:32 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times
Irishmom-

I am the failed foster mom of 4 - 3 Rottweilers were "planned" - sort of. We started with a terrier mutt someone threw out of a moving car in front of me...then we had my son's Rott while he was at college until he passed of old age....so we got a female from rescue, but the night before transport they asked if we would foster a little male (who, incidentally, is no more Rottweiler than I am, just a very large beagle who is black and tan)....and then we "fostered" a very ill male who is still here, and in the meantime acquired a HW+ female that we saw through treatment and couldn't let go of...then took in a 12 yr. old female who was "about to die" - she's 15 now and going strong - and most recently an 18 month old blind Rottweiler. So now we have 6 Rottweilers and a mutt - and a LOT of furballs in the corners.

So I feel your pain on failing fostering. Technically, I think we're supposed to only "fail" one time - I guess the recidivism rate is awful... :-)

Happy adoption to you and your "foster"! At least you found the home you would have wanted for her - that's what I keep telling my beloved spouse!

Old 05-13-2007, 07:06 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
Shhh! If you guys tell stories like that my husband will never let me foster! I am seriously considering taking in a puppy for Southeastern Guide Dogs, but if you make it sound like they never leave he will not let me.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:16 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,887 times
I have three cats and one dog, all of them are animals that I adopted as adults, who needed homes...

I don't know how people can take an animal home, and then later on send it back when he isn't just what they wanted...

I have a little white kitty, he is full grown but a small cat who is still unfriendly, he is asleep right now under the covers of my bed...I think he must have had a hard time before I adopted him from the foster people who had him...he snuggles at my feet when I go to sleep at night.

Old 05-14-2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
Shhh! If you guys tell stories like that my husband will never let me foster! I am seriously considering taking in a puppy for Southeastern Guide Dogs, but if you make it sound like they never leave he will not let me.
Well you may want to mention to your husband that I've now had 24 dogs find homes from my house this year...27 if you count the ones that we "failed fostering"...LOL

It's all good, but if my husband keeps falling in love with them we may need to start fostering REALLY big dogs...I'm the one who likes those, he likes the little ones.

Oh and when the woman brought Candy back she was crying nonstop...and actually said that if we would house break her she would love to take her back!!! Can you imagine! Thankfully I was not home when she came and didn't have to hold my toungue, because it would have been hard.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:58 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,887 times
One day I hope to move onto a larger lot, not in a development with HOA...I would love to foster cats and maybe some dogs...
I hate to think of animals with no homes...

Old 05-15-2007, 07:58 AM

157 posts, read 564,580 times
Irishmom
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So Candy is back. Now I work with a beagle rescue, but this litter of puppies were beagle and minature daschund mixes. We knew they were way more daschund than beagle when we adopted them out...but oh my...she is all mini doxie!!! My husband is totally in love with her and may be failing fostering, which would be bad...we already have three dogs (because he has failed before...LOL). So I don't think Candy will have to go to any more homes.
I am also a failed foster mom. We took a rescue from his new home after 4 weeks because they could not train him, so they said. I had him housebroken in 2 days. He was with us for about 2 weeks before I had posted him. All homes were not good enough for me (even if it was perfect) because we had become so attached to him. I think it was because he had been abused in the new home and it took weeks to get him not to flinch with every quick motion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs