Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 11:35 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,439,416 times

Advertisements

As an example of the adorable dogs and cats that are euthanized each year in this country, thus the reason we need to spay and neuter, this is the partial list of animals that will die tomorrow if they don't get adopted or find a rescue. Just something to think about next time you decide to go buy a puppy.

2 Aussies. Rescue may be pending

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 12:02 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,469,696 times
People should educate themselves on the pros and cons of having their pet spayed or neutered. I own two dogs, a spayed female and an unaltered male. I have chosen not to get my male dog neutered for the following reasons:
  • A neutered dog is 4 times more likely to get prostrate cancer;
  • A neutered dog is 2 times more likely to get osteosarcoma (bone cancer); and
  • A neutered dog has an increased risk of hemangiosarcoma (blood vessel and spleen cancer).
This is in addition to:
  • Increased occurrence of urinary calculi;
  • Increased difficulty passing urinary calculi;
  • Increased chance of urinary obstruction;
  • Increased likelihood of urinary incontinence;
  • Increased likelihood of adverse reaction to vaccinations (27-38%);
  • Notable decrease in activity/drive;
  • Increased chance of "perpetual puppy syndrome" undesirable urination;
  • Inhibited social adjustment if castrated prior to sexual maturity;
  • Substantial likelihood of appreciable demeanor change after castration (reproductive hormones affect more than just reproduction);
  • Increased likelihood of cognitive disorders if castrated before complete cognitive development (usually a good time AFTER sexual maturity);
  • Notable decrease in muscle mass; and
  • Generally live 2 (or greater) years shorter than unaltered littermates in controlled studies.
Sources:
ScienceDirect - Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology : Canine prostate carcinoma: epidemiological evidence of an increased risk in castrated dogs
http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf
ScienceDirect - The Veterinary Journal : Host related risk factors for canine osteosarcoma
Wiley InterScience :: Session Cookies
Endogenous Gonadal Hormone Exposure and Bone Sarcoma Risk -- Cooley et al. 11 (11): 1434 -- Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention
AVMA - Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association - 227(7):1102 - Abstract

While there are also risks associated with spaying, they are not nearly as severe (i.e., the cancer risks are far less) in my opinion and the benefits outweighed the risks.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:50 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,666,962 times
Thanx for posting this thread Ronni!
I think this thread should also be posted on the main page of all the Southern
States where spay and & neuter is highly ignored. Also post those dogs.
Maybe a rescue could be found on those forums too! It is worth a shot.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:57 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,055,877 times
This just makes me sob my eyes out.

If Artie (and my husband and the town) would allow it, I'd have a house full of rescues, just like yours.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:56 PM

751 posts, read 2,482,202 times
In a different forum I am a member of, there was a post saying a pound posted a sign for the monthly total of animals they euthanized and it was over 1200 in August! One pound, one month! Sickening!

Old 10-08-2009, 08:13 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,683,094 times
my coworker is on an animal welfare e-mail list and she sends me probably 5 or 6 e-mails about dogs and cats who need homes a day, most of them well socialized, house trained, no major issues. many of them purebreds and "designer breeds". and probably 3 or 4 a week are lists like this, of 20+ dogs who will be euthanized if no one adopts them within a short period of time. it's really heartbreaking. the only consolation is sometimes people update the list when an animal from one of the e-mails is adopted.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:09 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,439,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
People should educate themselves on the pros and cons of having their pet spayed or neutered. I own two dogs, a spayed female and an unaltered male. I have chosen not to get my male dog neutered for the following reasons:
  • A neutered dog is 4 times more likely to get prostrate cancer;
  • A neutered dog is 2 times more likely to get osteosarcoma (bone cancer); and
  • A neutered dog has an increased risk of hemangiosarcoma (blood vessel and spleen cancer).
This is in addition to:
  • Increased occurrence of urinary calculi;
  • Increased difficulty passing urinary calculi;
  • Increased chance of urinary obstruction;
  • Increased likelihood of urinary incontinence;
  • Increased likelihood of adverse reaction to vaccinations (27-38%);
  • Notable decrease in activity/drive;
  • Increased chance of "perpetual puppy syndrome" undesirable urination;
  • Inhibited social adjustment if castrated prior to sexual maturity;
  • Substantial likelihood of appreciable demeanor change after castration (reproductive hormones affect more than just reproduction);
  • Increased likelihood of cognitive disorders if castrated before complete cognitive development (usually a good time AFTER sexual maturity);
  • Notable decrease in muscle mass; and
  • Generally live 2 (or greater) years shorter than unaltered littermates in controlled studies.
Sources:
ScienceDirect - Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology : Canine prostate carcinoma: epidemiological evidence of an increased risk in castrated dogs
http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf
ScienceDirect - The Veterinary Journal : Host related risk factors for canine osteosarcoma
Wiley InterScience :: Session Cookies
Endogenous Gonadal Hormone Exposure and Bone Sarcoma Risk -- Cooley et al. 11 (11): 1434 -- Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention
AVMA - Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association - 227(7):1102 - Abstract

While there are also risks associated with spaying, they are not nearly as severe (i.e., the cancer risks are far less) in my opinion and the benefits outweighed the risks.
For a very highly responsible pet owner who is anal about keeping their dog totally under control, I see no problem. But very, very few people in this world are able to completely keep their dog under control to keep it from reproducing. Let alone the rate of reproductive cancer sky rockets. To suggest to people they NOT alter their pets is irresponsible. In my opinion of course. And probably in the opinion of the millions of pets that were killed last year in shelters.

And please keep in mind a lot of these stats are debated very strongly by many vets.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:14 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,469,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
For a very highly responsible pet owner who is anal about keeping their dog totally under control, I see no problem. But very, very few people in this world are able to completely keep their dog under control to keep it from reproducing. Let alone the rate of reproductive cancer sky rockets. To suggest to people they NOT alter their pets is irresponsible. In my opinion of course. And probably in the opinion of the millions of pets that were killed last year in shelters.

And please keep in mind a lot of these stats are debated very strongly by many vets.
To suggest to people they must alter their pets, regardless of the consequences to the health of the animal is equally as irresponsible. As the millions of pets who die prematurely with debilitating cancers could attest.

Spaying and neutering a pet should be an individual choice, once that individual fully understands the consequences of their decision.

In researching the topic, I found no debate among the studies I posted. Your assertion is baseless.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:01 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,683,094 times
glitch, the last article you cited was about vaccinations. and a few of the links didn't work.

spaying and neutering does increase the risks of some cancers, but greatly reduces the risks of others. it is a tough call, for sure; there's no easy answer. i find it hard not to advocate spay & neuter when we are faced with a gigantic homeless animal problem though. a responsible owner who keeps unaltered animals is no problem, but the vast majority of animal owners are not responsible, and all it takes is one "whoops" with 2 unaltered pets to start a chain reaction ending with a pack of feral dogs or a feral cat colony. and those animals will likely end up miserable dead one way or another.

i do think that people should make an informed decision about spaying & neutering, and not just rely on common wisdom. this is a well-balanced summary of both the health-related risks and benefits of spaying & neutering: http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf

Old 10-08-2009, 01:01 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,419,471 times
As sad as it is that fine, healthy animals are euthanized for lack of a home (or for having been dumped from their original home), I still reserve that sick feeling for animals who are abused, and knowing that without spaying and neutering (and care for animals) there are terrible things going on in the streets of every major city in poorer countries as a matter of course.
But those pictures are a heartbreak, they are. I hope the last words they hear are kind ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs