Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2007, 12:46 PM

158 posts, read 868,409 times

Advertisements

I live in Il. now and am moving next spring to Florida!!! Yay!. Anyway right now I keep her hair long it is just so pretty and I love combing it. Does anyone know if that would be too hot for her in Fl? Will I have to keep it short to keep her comfortable?

Anyone else here have a Tzu with long hair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 06:36 PM

489 posts, read 2,014,845 times
My dog did fine with long hair; however, she didn't seem to have any interest in being outside for any extended period of time - - just to do her business and come right back inside. Also, flea/tick control and "watch" is so much easier with shorter hair. Good luck!

Old 05-06-2007, 07:06 PM

389 posts, read 3,538,589 times
Same here, my dogs loved to be outside when we lived in WI, we moved to Florida, and they pretty much spend summers inside. I shave them down some in the summer too, they seem happier that way, and they look really cute too Like little boys with their summer buzz cut. I still keep them 3/4 to 1 inch, but it seems to make a big difference for them.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:20 AM

Thank You Turtle and FedUpinftmeyers.

I was thinking of shaving her to about maybe a 2 or 3 inch coat. I just have to leave her little pony tail on top though.

Mine love to go out side too (I also have a malti-poo who I keep short). I plan to have a pool and put out some kiddie pools for them too. Maybe that will make them want to spend a little more time outside once we move to Fl.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:11 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,095,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinIL View Post
Thank You Turtle and FedUpinftmeyers.

I was thinking of shaving her to about maybe a 2 or 3 inch coat. I just have to leave her little pony tail on top though.

Mine love to go out side too (I also have a malti-poo who I keep short). I plan to have a pool and put out some kiddie pools for them too. Maybe that will make them want to spend a little more time outside once we move to Fl.
No, they'll want to be where you are and YOU will be inside in the a/c!! Well, maybe in the pool...but almost everyone I know keeps their doggies clipped short in the summer. And, by all means, keep the flea/tick meds on them and make sure they have the heartworm preventative all year long!

Old 05-08-2007, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
No, they'll want to be where you are and YOU will be inside in the a/c!! Well, maybe in the pool...but almost everyone I know keeps their doggies clipped short in the summer. And, by all means, keep the flea/tick meds on them and make sure they have the heartworm preventative all year long!
Yes, the frontline and heartworm definatley. I lived down there years ago and found out real quick what a problem fleas can be (I had a bichon) I actually love the heat. I put the air on just to keep every one else happy but most of the time I can do with out it. I remember in Florida though there I times when even I actually wanted it on.

I guess I will have to keep her short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs