Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2007, 07:44 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,160,787 times

Advertisements

dear me, I just discovered that my dog more than likely has hookworms. I determined this based on information online. Anyone else ever have their dogs treated for this? I'm grossed out and I don't like feeling that way toward her. Poor baby. And the confusing thing to me is that she doesn't have fleas and I've never seen one on her. According to the internet that is how they get the worms.GrOSs I tell ya.
Another issue is that I've just moved to a new state and have NO idea how to find a good vet and one that is reasonable with cost.
I'm upset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 08:22 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,360,540 times
My one dog had them. He was a stray and came with all types of ailments. Take your poor little pooch to the vet. The sooner the better especially if she is a puppy or young dog. They can cause bloody loose stools, weight loss, anemia,dehydration and bad hair. They can also infect humans by penetrating the skin.
The hookworms my dog had he more than likely picked up from being around infected ****. We lived in a warmer climate. They love and breed well in moist, warm soil. There is another hookworm that does do well in colder climates though.
You must treat your dog and disinfect the areas where she poops. Picking up the **** is a must.
It wasn't too expensive to have my dog seen and treated. Better than the alternative. It had to be done in stages though due to the life cycle of the worm.

Good luck and I hope you pooch gets better soon.

Last edited by tet tea; 04-29-2007 at 08:35 PM..

Old 04-29-2007, 08:44 PM

thanks tet tea and yes we are using the yellow pages to call around in the morning to find one with reasonable rates to begin treatment. She is almost 2 years old. I've cleaned her really well and vacuumed the house thouroughly for tonite. We use a scopper to clean the yard anyway and will continue to do so. I'm still a bit creeped out about her sleeping on my bed but she won't understand if I refuse her the right to do so.
I did read online that it is rare for humans to get them from the dog. I think it's harder than we might think to get them. Hope so!!

Old 04-29-2007, 09:59 PM

Red face correction on original post

my mistake; I meant to post that my dogs has Tape worms-not hook. I don't know why I posted the wrong kind.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:07 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,205,511 times
Tape worms come from ingesting flea eggs, I believe. They are easy to treat by the vet.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:10 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernexposure View Post
my mistake; I meant to post that my dogs has Tape worms-not hook. I don't know why I posted the wrong kind.
Well the good news is that tape worms do not usually alter the pets health in anyway..they are just icky and float in the intestine eating and growing. They are very easy to get rid of. Your vet can give you something for them or you can order online. Even if your dog doesn't have fleas that doesn't mean one may not have landed on her and she swallowed it...happens. But don't feel grossed out...they are really hard to catch and easy to avoid if you wash your hands regularly. Heck in sweden they implant tape worms into people for weight loss....ewwww!

Old 04-30-2007, 04:20 AM

389 posts, read 3,538,502 times
If I remember my parasitology correctly, hooks burrow through the skin from the soil (this is why I don't walk around barefoot....ever in the grass). Don't quote me on that, maybe I have my parasites miexed up...anyway, I know it seems yucky, but it happens. Just take her to the vet with a stool sample and go from there. It shouldn't be that expensive...it's not like heartworms.

Good luck

Old 04-30-2007, 04:48 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,360,540 times
Glad it's not hookorms! The vet will probably just give your pooch a shot or pills which dissolves the tapeworms. You won't see them in her stool. Does she have stuff around her rear that look like white rice? That's the tapeworm pieces or larvae. You're dog since she never had fleas more than likely swallowed one that was carring the eggs. For good measure I'd spray your yard and carpets with a flea repellent. I spray mine once a month just to be on the safe side.

Good luck

Old 04-30-2007, 01:34 PM

Default update

thanks to you all who responded in my hour of need I called a vet in the new area I moved to and had heard they are good there. Though they said on Mondays they are quite busy they would work us in; however the lady I spoke to recommended as an alternative that I call the vet I had used in our home state and ask him to fax them a prescription and they would fill it. Did that and I'm just waiting for them to call to let me know the med is ready to pick up. The lady said it would more than likely only cost around $10.00.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs