Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2009, 08:54 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,925,307 times

Advertisements

My dog (11 Month Old Bichon) has developed what the vet has called a pseudomonas infection on his sheath. I think he developed it as a result of complications from his neutering a couple of weeks ago. He's been on Zeniquin (generic name: marbofloxacin) for about five days. When I started him on the antibiotic, the tip of his shaft was red and inflamed and there were red sores on the side of his sheath. It's been five days into it and the redness appeared to be going down, but now it looks like the sores scabbing. The tip of his sheath is scabbing as well, though i didn't notice any sores before. Is this normal? I feel like scabbing is a good thing because it means things are healing, but I just want to make sure. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 10:41 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,402,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
My dog (11 Month Old Bichon) has developed what the vet has called a pseudomonas infection on his sheath. I think he developed it as a result of complications from his neutering a couple of weeks ago. He's been on Zeniquin (generic name: marbofloxacin) for about five days. When I started him on the antibiotic, the tip of his shaft was red and inflamed and there were red sores on the side of his sheath. It's been five days into it and the redness appeared to be going down, but now it looks like the sores scabbing. The tip of his sheath is scabbing as well, though i didn't notice any sores before. Is this normal? I feel like scabbing is a good thing because it means things are healing, but I just want to make sure. Thanks.
Have you had a chance to call and ask your vet these questions? He is in the best position to answer them. I have to admit that I'm having a little trouble understanding how sores on his sheath are related to male neutering though... As to your question, yes it would be normal for a gram negative infection like pseudomonas to scab over when healing.

However, the best person to tell you if your baby is healing normally from the infection is your vet! Get your pup back in there if you think something isn't right!

Old 08-01-2009, 04:58 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,935,675 times
Pseudomonas aeruginosa is a difficult to treat Gram-negative organism. It might take some time, but if the area of infection is scabbing over, that's GOOD. Keep on going with the antibiotic. If there's any change, go right back to the vet.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 11,549 times
My dog has pseudomonas on her back, from what, I am unsure. I bathed her at a nearby pet store, and she started to develop this "rash" 2 days later. Took her to the vet, they shaved her and treated her with Cephalexin, and it got worse. Then her Dr. did biopsies, and they came back positive for Pseudomonas, which stumped the Vet, because she said it is a bug that is usually found in the ears, but she had seen a dog with this after he had got bitten, the bite got infected and then they had found in the lab it had become infected with Pseudomonas. So very strange to be on her skin, but it covers her back a good 14" x 12"!!!! She said that Cephalexin is not the antibiotic, because this particular infection is resistant to that med, so she is treating her with 750mg a day of Ciproflexacin. She said there are very few anibiotics that can treat this, and this one was under 20 dollars, and she has to take it for 21 days...

Old 01-05-2010, 03:18 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,935,675 times
Your vet is correct. Cephalexin does NOT treat Pseudomonas infections. But she should also get the susceptibility of the specific bug to the ciprofloxacin, because not all Pseudomonas species are susceptible to cipro, either!!!! I do this FOR A LIVING - trust me here!

Sometimes in people we see this kind of infection after they soak in a hot tub. I'm assuming there was no warm standing water used in your dog's bath, right?

Old 12-11-2018, 03:25 PM

3 posts, read 1,533 times
Did anyone ever figure out best treatment and furthermore are there any homeopathic treatments? I know it is a very difficult thing to treat and my dog has recently been diagnosed with it in his mouth so any insight would be so greatly appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs