Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2007, 07:31 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,889,112 times

Advertisements

How do you prevent your dog from chewing on certain things around the house? Our miniature pinscher loved to chew on chair legs, door frames, walls, etc. We were frustrated in stopping her until one day when I was looking in the fridge for something and spied a bottle of Tabasco sauce...
It's probably not the best answer, but I used a small brush and that bottle of Tabasco to stop the chewing problem....applied a little wherever she liked to chew. Works great!

Bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 08:24 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,278,699 times
Does she have her own things she's allowed to chew on? I know my sister's min-pin loves Merrick's Miss Piggys (baked pig ear).

Old 04-19-2007, 11:04 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,889,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Does she have her own things she's allowed to chew on? I know my sister's min-pin loves Merrick's Miss Piggys (baked pig ear).
Yep! She's got a ton of toys to play and chew on. A stuffed monkey and teddy bear are her favorites.

Old 04-20-2007, 01:12 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,278,699 times
Two possibilities that might work for you are either using a water bottle if you can catch her in the act or better yet clicker training.

Old 04-20-2007, 04:51 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,052,656 times
They make bitter apple products to keep pets from chewing. I've used tabasco before but now my dog LIKES it. Luckily he grew out of the chewing stage!

Old 04-20-2007, 07:19 AM

341 posts, read 1,487,725 times
It depends on a dogs age, breed and how well supervised they are. Younger dogs are obviously cutting teeth & will chew more. The best method is to kennel your pooch while away. Dogs have a natural den instinct and having a kennel they can be in with a chew toy (Food & water if you're gone more than 3 hours) is perfectly fine with them. While under supervision, if the dog's spotted attempting to chew on the wrong item..startle them with a sharp NO! Then redirect their attention to a proper chew toy. There's a big difference between proper chew toys & play toys. Keep the play toys in a drawer until it's actually time to play WITH the dog. They're dangerous if left to be chewed up & swallowed. Giving a dog too many things to chew on makes it almost impossible for them to distinguish between YOUR stuff & his chew toys. Use definite caution with rawhide which can bind up quickly in the stomach & pigs ears or cows hooves which can easily tear up the animals esophagus with sharp edges. Nylabone & Gumabone products are durable and very safe. They come in flavors! Smaller breeds mature faster & larger take longer. Soft mouthed dogs like Labs have a great chewing tendancy. Good luck! Coyote/Vet Tech

Old 04-20-2007, 10:11 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,417,165 times
My current pup dosent chew, but before there was a lime spray tahts safe on furniture, give it a try.

Old 04-22-2007, 03:13 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,819,923 times
Other things that they don't like, but probably isn't quite as harsh on their mouths and possibly tummies can be picked up at the pet store. We use bitter apple...they hate that stuff!

Old 04-22-2007, 04:46 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,212,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
How do you prevent your dog from chewing on certain things around the house? Our miniature pinscher loved to chew on chair legs, door frames, walls, etc. We were frustrated in stopping her until one day when I was looking in the fridge for something and spied a bottle of Tabasco sauce...
It's probably not the best answer, but I used a small brush and that bottle of Tabasco to stop the chewing problem....applied a little wherever she liked to chew. Works great!

Bud
product called bitter apple works well if your dog seems to like it they also make one called bitter lime I find the lime works better

Old 04-24-2007, 01:09 AM

30,371 posts, read 51,981,374 times
I used Bitter Apple when Rudy was a puppy, and it worked pretty well. But he's never been too bad with the chewing, ever since I gave him a toy-box. The first few weeks I had him, quite a few inappropriate things were chewed... so I bought a toy-box & put everything "dog-okay" inside. He got a NO for putting teeth on anything not from the box, and seemed to get the point rather quickly. Now he just knows, if it was in my box (or mommy gave it to me), it's okay to chew on! This might not work with an older dog, since I did it when Rudy was still really young & impressionable... but ya never know.

Oh, and to go along with the Dog Whisperer's (Cesar Milan) theory, your dog could also just need more exercise. Try increasing her walks or play-time, and see if she lets up on the chewing. After all, a tired dog is a good dog!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs