Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 10:44 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,734,051 times

Advertisements

I did a search on this board but no one seems to swear by Atopica. Our vet is recommending this product to control chronic itching/scratching that's been going on for months. Blake is getting an antihistamine twice a day and we just switched to "Purina One for sensitive skin". Steroid shots do help but wears off and the itching and scratching comes back full force. No more steroids for him due to the long term side effects.

He weighs 78 lbs so the cost is $300 for the 1st month declining in cost after the first 30 days. It would be worth it if I can guarantee that it would eliminate the constant itching once and for all.

Anyone having success with this product or any other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 01:39 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,864 times
I've been using it for six or seven months now.

What is it that you want to know?

Old 07-08-2009, 09:37 AM

26 posts, read 83,439 times
I am. Last year my Shiba Inu was given a 3 yr rabies vaccine and had a huge reaction. Atopica cleared it up in a week and a half after months of antihistamines and coat supplements failed to make a dent. Now we're giving it to him because he seems to have a recurrance of allergic reaction.

ETA Check out my website at http://shibainus.ca and search for Atopica for more info on how it worked for him.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:26 PM

1 posts, read 16,793 times
using it successfully with a Westie terrier for whom nothing else worked. He's doing so much better.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:11 AM

528 posts, read 2,480,542 times
a friend is using it, and initially had great results....but some side effects have occurred (mostly sores on the dogs feet) so they are backing off for a while. They owners are disappointed, as this seemed to be the one thing that worked for their dog...

Old 05-08-2011, 07:01 PM

1 posts, read 15,628 times
Default Atopica

I have been using Atopica on my dog for five months. We have tried every pill known to vets and this helps the best. It has helped a lot but he still itches, licks and gnaws for three hours a day. Here is the odd part. He does the itching about an hour and a half, like clockwork, after taking the Atopica. He continues for about three hours and then stops the rest of the day and night. It is if he is allergic to the atopica. If anyone has a similar experience, please post. Thanks.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:51 PM

2 posts, read 31,074 times
Default atopica

I have had my Irish Terrier, "Hubilee" on Atopica for more than 3 years. It has more or less kept itching under control.

I had been in Pennsylvania and living in an apartment and she was doing so well that I backed off the Atopica to just once a week. However I recently returned to Florida where she is outside most of the time and all hell broke loose. She began scratching her face so much that it would bleed and chewing on her paws. I tried upping the Atopica dosage to every other day, but every time I give it to her things get very much worse for 3 or 4 hours after she get the pill. I have to give her Benadryl to get her to settle down. It does seem as if she is having an allergic reaction to the Atopica. Am going to the vet tomorrow to see what to do. She is not eating, and seems very, very sick.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:53 PM

2 posts, read 31,074 times
Sorry, my Irish Terrior's name is JUBILEE!

Old 06-11-2011, 06:33 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,734,051 times
Atopica works. Just wish it weren't so darn expensive. $2,400 for a year's supply for a 78-pound dog. Some lab should come up with a generic version.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:41 AM

1 posts, read 15,235 times
I have been giving my Westie Cosmo this medication for about 6 weeks now. At first, he was fine with it. Now that we have backed down to 2x a week, he does the excessive scratching an hour to two later also! He appears miserable. I contacted the vet and she said she had never heard of this side effect. I am glad to hear others have had the same problem. I am calling the vet again today. Wondering if we up the dosage to 3x a week if it will correct the excessive itching. The Benedryl does not calm the scratching. We tried giving it to him an hour before the Atopica.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs