Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 12:21 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,216,557 times

Advertisements

No, I am not talking about a seeing eye dog neither.

I was sitting in Carabou Coffeee ejoying my smoothie and all of a sudden a guy walks in with his black Lab. I was like "huh"!

He looked around as if it was a normal thing to do.

Why on eath would someone bring a dog inside of a eating establishment?

I see it all the time here in Chicago. We have a lot of outdoor resturants and it never fails someone always has their dog with them.

Last edited by 2goldens; 06-20-2009 at 03:05 AM.. Reason: Moved from Other Topics ;)

Old 06-20-2009, 05:37 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,583,439 times
Default A well-trained companion could go anywhere, if only...

I'd lived 21 years in MI, 12 in AZ, and 6 in WA and I'd never seen a dog in an "eatery" until we went to France. There, from Paris to the little villages, it was not uncommon to see canines sitting quietly at their owners feet, under a table.

I also noted that all the companion animals I saw were well-behaved, which is another note-worthy exception to most I'd seen in the States.

I know I am generalizing here, but In GENERAL, Americans seem to accept that companion animals will be misbehaved, and don't make an effort to train their companions. Maybe it comes from the same place as "boys will be boys."

At any rate, I've concluded that if a companion animal is well-behaved, it should be allowed anywhere. Unfortunately, since most are not (yes, another generalization that HAS many exceptions), I cannot fault establishment owners from banning them -- and yes, that includes land lords.

Maybe some day in a perfect world, we will all be responsible pet owners, and our friends will be the companions they wish to be.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:50 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,495,887 times
Many cities across the US are extremely dog friendly. Many in Ca. come to mind....anywhere from Napa to NewPort Bch to LaJolla. Stores have dog bowls full of fresh water and even some with dog cookies and treats. They have outdoor eating so you can bring your dog. Some will stipulate you leave him on the other side of a small fence (fencing the establishment from the sidewalk), but he/she is still right there with you.
I see nothing wrong with it, as long as the dog is well behaved. In most instances, the dogs were alot more behaved than the kids thats were allowed to run rampant
I've brought my Golden to Starbucks lots of times. He does not enter the store tho...sits outside and waits patiently for me while I get my drink.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:53 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,216,557 times
I don't care how well behaved it is, a dog is a dirty animal. Who would want to eat food around someone eles dog?

gee-whiz maybe it's just me but that is nasty. It's a animal not a human. I do think there are certain people in the US that do not see anything wrong with it. Any many times these "certain people" kiss their dogs also. Imagine kissing something that sniffs Moderator cut: bleep !

Last edited by leorah; 06-22-2009 at 06:49 AM..

Old 06-20-2009, 06:00 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,583,439 times
Of course you are entitled to your opinions, Ron. Personally, I don't see many dirty dogs. Mine gets a bath every other week, and is groomed routinely. I've never seen a dog on anyone's table, or in the area's where food is prepared.

Frankly, you are in greater danger of contaminants from people's unwashed hands than from their dogs.

Anyway, you are certainly entitled to make your own choices -- as are we all.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:05 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,495,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I don't care how well behaved it is, a dog is a dirty animal. Who would want to eat food around someone eles dog?

gee-whiz maybe it's just me but that is nasty. It's a animal not a human. I do think there are certain people in the US that do not see anything wrong with it. Any many times these "certain people" kiss their dogs also. Imagine kissing something that sniffs azz!
Well...I guess that is a matter of opinion. I would say my dog is cleaner than most humans on the street as well!
Would you oppose a Service Dog as well?
Reminds me of a time, when I was training my Therapy Dog. We were given permission for him to work out with me at a gym. It was purely training, where he was getting accustomed to feeling cold metal ( of the weights) on/near his paws...as a wheelchair would do. The noises, the people working around us, practicing down stays, etc...did him wonders. He worked with me for over a yr. there, until 1 woman started complaining. Just couldn't see the need for it. She wasn't allergic, she just didn't like the idea. I tried to reason with her...tell when you'll be here, I'll re-arrange my schedule...she just couldn't see it...I flat out explained to her, I hoped to God, her, or any other member of her family was never in a position that would require a Service Dog or the help of a Therapy Dog. (Mine actually worked with kids needing Physical Therapy in pools). She used some very foul language with me and the dog and told me to drop dead. I continued to use the facility...she ended up quitting.
Now I realize, bringing a dog into a coffee shop does not qualify as training...but my point is, dogs are welcomed in hospitals and establishments all over the world.
I would have problems with a stinky dog sitting next to me tho as I ate...So I can see your point there.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:22 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,990,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post

gee-whiz maybe it's just me but that is nasty. It's a animal not a human. I do think there are certain people in the US that do not see anything wrong with it. Any many times these "certain people" kiss their dogs also. Imagine kissing something that sniffs azz!

Um...No, it's not nasty. If you don't like it, you can leave. My dogs are cleaner and better behaved than most of the toddler brats that parents inflict on others in the same establishments.

You ARE able to leave if you don't like it.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:44 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,076,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Um...No, it's not nasty. If you don't like it, you can leave. My dogs are cleaner and better behaved than most of the toddler brats that parents inflict on others in the same establishments.

You ARE able to leave if you don't like it.

ditto from me ......

one of my favorite sayings is that my bailey-dog is less destructive and better behaved than most children......

and i'll add that she is far cleaner and less germy than many as well......

Old 06-20-2009, 10:54 AM

795 posts, read 4,544,783 times
nothing i love better in the world than kisses from my dog! hey, i think i'll go kiss him now!

wonder if there's a store nearby that i can take him to when i'm finished?

Old 06-20-2009, 11:11 AM

56 posts, read 176,724 times
That would be like asking, why would some bring their dog into a Grocery store.

answer : Because Stores let us.

Yes My dogs are allowed in certain grocery stores, or convenience stores, Why? because the owner/ s, Know us and like Our dogs.
Simple as that.

Yes Grouse to some, however if the owners allow it what can really be said. If dogs are well behaved or even somewhat behaved most owners come to know you and your comanions, and are fine with it.

Not to mention most owners look at their companions as part of the family,and rather bring the dog inside then have something happen outside of the store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs