Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2007, 02:33 AM

202 posts, read 835,292 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have to take a four day trip to see my ill father.. Last time we left for three days, our dog refused to eat and just sat on his couch and held his head low. My mom who lives close by came over to see him and feed him but he refused to play or eat. My mom even tried to put some chicken in his mouth and he spit it out.
Our other dog does just fine when we are gone.(we only take one or two short trips a year) My mom tried to take him to her house and he would'nt budge.He just wanted to sit on his couch. He did'nt even want to play or anything. He is only three yrs old and normally loves to jump and run and play with us.
So I am anxious about his mental state when we leave again. He is a big 90 lb baby and really only feels happy when his whole pack is all together.
Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 08:01 AM

364 posts, read 529,462 times
I'm sorry to hear about your ill father.

I have also had furkids behave this way. One in particular. I hate to say there has not been much I have been able to do. They are just focused on one thing- your safe return. All I can say is make him as comfortable as possible and make sure he has everything he needs.

Safe Travels.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:31 PM

262 posts, read 1,234,044 times
Try giving him a toy or blanket or even a sock with your scent on it a few days before. Maybe that will comfort him when you're gone.

I wish your Dad well.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:56 PM

364 posts, read 529,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymom View Post
Try giving him a toy or blanket or even a sock with your scent on it a few days before. Maybe that will comfort him when you're gone.

I wish your Dad well.
That is a good suggestion. Forget about that. I usually leave my fav tshirt at the vet when my babys are boarded.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:57 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,642,014 times
Lightbulb aww-

Quote:
Originally Posted by aween View Post
My husband and I have to take a four day trip to see my ill father.. Last time we left for three days, our dog refused to eat and just sat on his couch and held his head low. My mom who lives close by came over to see him and feed him but he refused to play or eat. My mom even tried to put some chicken in his mouth and he spit it out.
Our other dog does just fine when we are gone.(we only take one or two short trips a year) My mom tried to take him to her house and he would'nt budge.He just wanted to sit on his couch. He did'nt even want to play or anything. He is only three yrs old and normally loves to jump and run and play with us.
So I am anxious about his mental state when we leave again. He is a big 90 lb baby and really only feels happy when his whole pack is all together.
Any suggestions?
can you take him with you?. He sounds depressed. My shar-pei Wacky rips the sofa cushions apart if I am at work (2 days per week) he is also a big baby. I think dogs feel lonely as much as people do!

sunny

Old 04-05-2007, 04:34 PM

202 posts, read 835,292 times
Thank you for the well wishes everyone
I wish I could bring him but it is half way across the country and I can't take him on the plane.

Old 04-05-2007, 05:32 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,253,293 times
My dog doesn't mind being boarded. I leave her bed amd my vet says it's because she can bark and smells all the other animals, so she doesn't miss me.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:14 PM

489 posts, read 2,018,126 times
Aween - I just saw your precious boy, and now I feel even more bad for him after reading your post. Wish your trip were closer so that you could take the car and take Jack with you. He is a beautiful boy.

Wish you and your family well. Have a safe trip.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:29 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,726,202 times
Quote:
Any suggestions?
o.k. why not let the dog meet lots of
dogs just as a play park. Also, check out doggie day care so the dog will know sometime you need to leave. Also if your mother likes the dog, let it go for day visit, and increase it to overnight. Also treat your mom to lunch!
Also do this as a fun day, same as a child, when you wish to do out. food boil hamburg, and rice. that smell, is so great. the vets up north all give this when a dog is ill, or warm up baby food.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:51 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,726,202 times
Quote:
Any suggestions?
one thought also, when your mother comes to visit let her make a big fuss over the dog, and give treats, such as carrots, and ever do the hamburg and rice. same as a grandmother and baby.

and you, just let her be in charge with the feeding, and if it is special, I do think it will work! You also could leave, to go to the store, or just go for 2 hrs.
I think it is separation anxiety, and, you need to do it now. my terrier also did it, and so in the day it was doggie day care. she grew out of it. Therefore, start now. Oh, this dog also ate my rug, not much, she is 17 lbs. Now she is o.k. She also wanted potty on the puppy pads, now we go outside, she knows now her crate for bed and outside for potty. Good Luck! and also if your mom is there just leave, and do not make it a big task saying good bye to the dog. jusy say i am going to work, see you soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs