Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2007, 01:54 PM

122 posts, read 791,661 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are moving to California soon and--of course--bringing our sweet puppy. I was wondering if anyone here has any advice/experiences related to finding an apartment with a dog and whether it's hard, particularly in California (Breed-Specific Legislation and all).

Our puppy is a year old and we think she's stopped growing. She's a 1/4 doberman, 1/4 pitbull (doesn't really look it, though), and 1/2 german shepherd. She's actually smaller than most dogs of those breeds tend to be, so she's "medium-sized" I guess, though a lot of people who only like small dogs would say she's big! She's very calm, well-behaved, and good-looking. We got the vet to write on her file that she's a Manchester Terrier. So is it gonna be a huge hassle??? We're young and not terribly well-off, so it's not like we can just spend more for a place that will allow. We'll need a small, cheap apartment, so already our options are limited.

If anyone knows anything about apartment hunting with a medium-sized dog, please help!! I'm very worried and there's no way we're getting rid of her!

Here's a picture of her:

Why oh why is the picture showing up as a link, by the way? it works, but I want it in this message!

Last edited by woofenstein; 03-29-2007 at 02:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 04:22 PM

14,490 posts, read 26,652,299 times
when we moved to N Miami, I had to pay a deposit for my shar-pei. (I only had one at the time) Usually they go by weight of the dog- you shouldnt really have a problem and most realtors//rental brokers can help you find pet friendly apts. Good luck!

P.S. the dog picture didnt show up- just click on the attach/paper clip icon and download from your pictures!.

sunny

Old 03-29-2007, 04:29 PM

122 posts, read 791,661 times
This should work...this is confusing, though.
Attached Thumbnails
Is it gonna be difficult???-turbobo_is_sad.jpg  

Old 03-29-2007, 06:50 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,241,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofenstein View Post
This should work...this is confusing, though.

Sweet doggie. I'm so glad you are determined to keep her and put her first. So many people get puppies and then can't follow through on the responsibilities. Good for you guys, and hugs to your lucky dog!!

Old 03-30-2007, 09:48 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,449,226 times
Love the dogs ears! lol

How can a ban be breed specific when its 3 types ? Its not a specific breed. If youre worried about ignorant goons, just tell them its a mongrel and youve no idea whats in her.

Old 04-02-2007, 05:49 AM

531 posts, read 2,015,196 times
Many moons ago when we were looking for an apartment with our beagle, we went through a realtor. He had several places that allowed pets, but all of them required an extra deposit equivolent to 1 months rent. Just in case Fido decided to destroy anything. Best of luck!

P.S. your puppy is cute!

Old 04-02-2007, 11:56 AM

525 posts, read 2,355,830 times
The term "Boxer mix" works well when you are dealing with breed bans and Pits. Personally I think the 3 breeds are a wonderful mix in your pup. Pit, Shep, and Dobie is a great combination in my mind

Thanks you for keeping your family together and doing the research-BRAVO.

Based on the picture, I would classify as Shepherd mix, or just say mixed breed. I see no Pit or Dobie sticking out-and to the regualr person breeds are hard to determine at all!

Good luck and thanks for being such good parents

Old 04-02-2007, 12:56 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,293,530 times
I tell people that mine is a pound puppy. Many places will not allow any dog that is any part pitt, dobe, rott, etc. If you don't tell them they will never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs