Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2009, 05:47 PM

756 posts, read 2,219,779 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I have a 5 year old bichon that is the love of my life! He is the only pet I have ever had in my life so my experience is limited to him.

He loves other dogs and I would really like to adopt/rescue another small dog, preferably another bichon for a playmate for him.

But I worry about how he will react to sharing our attention. Will he be jealous? He is quite spoiled now and we do dote on him (very happily)!

What experiences has everyone had when adding another member to the family? Would this really be a good thing for him?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 06:21 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,851,628 times
My 1st dog as an adult was 6 y/o and began acting "old." I thought she might die soon and got a puppy so my kids wouldn't be too devastated when the old one died. Well, she perked up and lived another 6 yrs. She was just bored and lonely! They keep each other company when you aren't home and play as only another of the same species can.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:00 PM

315 posts, read 1,092,051 times
i think if you go about it correctly, you should have no problem. are you looking to rescue? there are so many dogs in shelters, especially now with people losing their homes and all...

when we added another dog to our family, zeke was already 6 years, totally spoiled and the love of our lives. we brought him with us to the shelter and decided that a female would be the best match for him. (in a strictly brotherly way, lol). he did well with her at the shelter so home she came. there were times of some jealousy but all in all, once he got use to this pesky little girl, they became fast friends and playmates. like southernbelle, it seems to keep him young.
good luck and i hope you find the perfect companion!

Old 04-08-2009, 07:19 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,410,912 times
Once you've had two dogs, you never go back to one.
You have to have a good idea that your dog (and the new one) don't need to be "only" dogs. Any good rescue or shelter will have as good an idea as possible- they don't want to make bad placements.
I always have multiple dogs, and any issues come out when the dogs realize the new one isn't going away- weeks later. So the pack shakes out and it's OK, but you have to watch them and don't leave them alone unsupervised until you're pretty sure of how they get along.
I wouldn't say that one dog gets jealous, etc. He's likely to want the same attention he's always gotten, not be jealous of the other for getting attention, etc.
Best wishes- you multiply the fur fun!

Old 04-08-2009, 09:38 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,436,144 times
Your dogs behavior will be based on what boundaries you set. If you just plain don't allow him to behave in a negative manner toward the new dog, no problems.

However, since you're looking to adopt, if you go to a rescue that knows what they are doing, they should let you bring your dog with you (as long as he's fully vaccinated) so he can help pick out his new friend. I highly encourage anyone adopting from me that has another dog at home to either bring their dog(s) along or I'll take the dog(s) they are interested along with me when I do the home check. Most times they'll pick each other.

Good luck and if you do adopt, don't forget the photos!! We like photos!

Old 04-08-2009, 01:17 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,348,336 times
Dogs are pack animals so I like having a couple of them around.
There may be some jealousy issues sometimes but let them work out there own problems if there are any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs