Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 05:58 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,442,306 times

Advertisements

My dog is approx, 9yr's old. He's house broken, well mannered and just rescently he started showing signs of sickness.(like upset stomach) He doesn't want to eat and today for the first time he threw up a wad of mustard colored crap. Is there anything I can give him?
I'd appreciate any kind of help.

Thank You
mk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 06:06 PM

242 posts, read 1,187,615 times
Default I need your advice

If Jack-HAp, was my dog, I would not try to doctor him myself, I take him to the VETS because JACK -HAP could of licked up something nasty outside.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapalua View Post
If Jack-HAp, was my dog, I would not try to doctor him myself, I take him to the VETS because JACK -HAP could of licked up something nasty outside.
I appreciate what your saying, but the main reason I'm asking for advice is because I've been laid off my job and I'm trying to adjust my expenses, in other words,a vet would be rather expensive at this time. For the last 2 days it looked like he(Murphy) was much better. I'm hoping that what ever it was he threw up (the size of a mouse) will help. If I notice that things are getting worse, then I will take him to the Vet.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:34 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,536,626 times
For an upset tummy, we have used white rice cooked with chicken broth (when the rice calls for water use chicken broth) and finely chopped up pieces of de-boned, de-skinned chicken breast mixed in with the regular kibble. Of course, cut back on the regular kibble when you serve this.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:06 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,860,868 times
Years ago a vet suggested Metamucil, 1 tes in a glass of water. Of course, I had big dogs, so adjust - mine weighed 80+ lbs.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:22 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,150,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
up a wad of mustard colored crap.
Was it a very bright yellow? The colour of say, standard yellow mustard? (Could put you right off your franks! )

A lot of times if a dog eats something they can't digest, the stomach will produce excess acid in order to attempt to digest it. Eventually, the body say, "enough" and usually with a bit of help from some grass, up it all comes - excess acid, bit of whatever it was, and grass.

If you dog is fine in all other respects (drinking water normally, his normal activity level and sleep level maintained, etc.), you can pretty much ignore it.

My dogs eat raw bones. Even now and then, there will be a bit of one that reappears about .... 12 to 18 or so hours after it was eaten. I go inspect - lots of stomach acid/bile (very bright yellow), a bit of bone, and a wadge of grass. It reeks to high heaven, but the dog feels better. It's just the canine body expelling what cannot be used.

If your worried you can put him on a bland diet, but if his appetite level is normal, ignore it all and hopefully the dog will leave less than fresh dead mice (or whatever it was) alone.

(On a really disgusting note - I was cleaning up cat vomit recently. I guess the snake head just didn't make for a happy feline digestive system! )

Old 04-05-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
Was it a very bright yellow? The colour of say, standard yellow mustard? (Could put you right off your franks! )

A lot of times if a dog eats something they can't digest, the stomach will produce excess acid in order to attempt to digest it. Eventually, the body say, "enough" and usually with a bit of help from some grass, up it all comes - excess acid, bit of whatever it was, and grass.

If you dog is fine in all other respects (drinking water normally, his normal activity level and sleep level maintained, etc.), you can pretty much ignore it.

My dogs eat raw bones. Even now and then, there will be a bit of one that reappears about .... 12 to 18 or so hours after it was eaten. I go inspect - lots of stomach acid/bile (very bright yellow), a bit of bone, and a wadge of grass. It reeks to high heaven, but the dog feels better. It's just the canine body expelling what cannot be used.

If your worried you can put him on a bland diet, but if his appetite level is normal, ignore it all and hopefully the dog will leave less than fresh dead mice (or whatever it was) alone.

(On a really disgusting note - I was cleaning up cat vomit recently. I guess the snake head just didn't make for a happy feline digestive system! )
I think you got it.......it was bright yellow like mustard and the was some grass mixed in with it. He seems to be better now.
Thank You

Old 04-05-2009, 09:08 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times
You know I may be off But my 1st thought is FUR BALL!!! It is the shedding season...and if everything else is normal I would watch but not worry. At his age Tummy & Fur Balls dont mix well LOL

Old 04-05-2009, 09:09 PM

30 posts, read 80,256 times
Quote:
I appreciate what your saying, but the main reason I'm asking for advice is because I've been laid off my job and I'm trying to adjust my expenses, in other words,a vet would be rather expensive at this time. For the last 2 days it looked like he(Murphy) was much better. I'm hoping that what ever it was he threw up (the size of a mouse) will help. If I notice that things are getting worse, then I will take him to the Vet.

I understand cutting back on expenses...seems like something we all need to do right now.

However, medical attention (for you or your dog) should NEVER be cut back on in my opinion. It might be something minor (and in all honesty, probably is), but it could be something much bigger as well. Vomiting is a very common symptom for lots of different problems - both big and small.

The biggest indicator of a serious problem is a behavior change. If you're dog starts acting differently at all, take him to the vet. Common behavior changes include being lazier/more lethargic than usual and becoming more aggressive than usual.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:24 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,150,988 times
Quote:
it was bright yellow like mustard and the was some grass mixed in with it. He seems to be better now.

Glad he's feeling better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs