Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 12:35 PM

3 posts, read 9,886 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping to find an answer to a problem that is driving me nuts!! Due to my male fawn pug, 6 y.o., weighing in at 32lbs I've put both of my pugs on a diet. They get 1/2 cup of kibble morning and noon then 1/2 can of green beans ea. (no salt) in the evening. He did loose 3 lbs the first month but lost none this past month. Anyway, my female black pug, 8 y.o., has started to bark whenever she thinks they need to be fed. She barks right at me....and scratches on the pantry door trying to get my attention. If I'm in a room where the door is closed she will scratch and then run away when I open it. The vet thinks I am feeding enough. We have been feeding this way for about 8 weeks now. Use to the kibble was left down 24/7 and I hardly ever had to fill the bowl....now that I'm feeding only a certain amount...it seems they have gotten obsessed with their food!! What can I do about her barking? I cannot hear the tv she barks so loud. I've tried to ignore her but she will keep up for hours on end. She is such a sassy and vocal girl!! Any suggestions will be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 12:38 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,924 times
Is there any way you can distract her and then reward her for some good behavior to replace the obessive barking?

Old 04-03-2009, 12:42 PM

Yes, I've tried playing with her favorite toy but soon as I quit she is back to barking again.
Once she starts, I haven't found a way to make her quit unless I feed her. Could she really be that hungry????

Old 04-03-2009, 01:04 PM

Pugs are serious about their food! My (late) pug Sweetie used to get fixated like that from time to time, but she wasn't as severe as your girl.
My first thought is that it's a behavior issue, but have you checked her bloodwork lately? Specifically thyroid levels? The first step with behavior problems is always a complete veterinary check-up, if you haven't already. Then I would consider consulting a behaviorist.
Hopefully someone else will have some great ideas for you. That's all I can think of right now.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:15 PM

Thanks.....appreciate your info. We go for shots the middle of next month and I'll have the vet check her out to make sure there isn't anything wrong. You are right...Pugs are serious about their food!!!
Have a great day!!

Old 04-03-2009, 05:06 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times
Sounds like typical pug behavior. I was staying at my mothers and left some red licorice on the kitchen table. Go in the bedroom to take a nap. Wake up to loud barking. Walk into the kitchen to find her pug ON TOP OF the kitchen table barking at my licorice. She wanted some.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Sounds like typical pug behavior. I was staying at my mothers and left some red licorice on the kitchen table. Go in the bedroom to take a nap. Wake up to loud barking. Walk into the kitchen to find her pug ON TOP OF the kitchen table barking at my licorice. She wanted some.
Hahahahahaha! That's a great story, and so puglike!

Old 04-04-2009, 11:00 AM

337 posts, read 826,506 times
We had to start watching Louis's intake as he was getting fat (says the vet) and he is ALWAYS checking the floor for some crumb that might be there. Anytime the pantry opens he is there, no matter where/what he was doing.

They are crazy about food for sure. Green beans and broccoli are now what he knows as treats.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:09 PM

620 posts, read 1,772,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. 01 Snake View Post
We had to start watching Louis's intake as he was getting fat (says the vet) and he is ALWAYS checking the floor for some crumb that might be there.
LOL, my Pug does that too. Fortunately, she doesn't bark for food. I wish the OP the best of luck with that!

Old 04-05-2009, 01:13 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times
Dogs, pugs included, tend to be habit driven. They were used to having food 24/7 and you made a dramatic switch. Why not try giving them half the green beans and kibble in the AM and repeat in the PM?

I agree with the suggestion of the one poster who suggested getting the thyroid check out as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs