Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 04:13 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,174,503 times

Advertisements

Okay, so DH and I have been looking for a good APBT breeder in our area (SLC area), and we think we have found one we are happy with. However, I wanted to see what other people think.

So, this kennel is in SLC and they have been breeding and showing APBTs since 2002. They have beautiful dogs on their website and they sound like they really love this breed, just like we do. I have been talking to the owner (via e-mail) about possibly buying a puppy from his next litter (they have a planned breeding in the spring). And he has been very happy to answer all of my questions for me. He will not sell to people that fight or harm their dogs in any way, which obviously is a good thing! He gives all of his pups their first 2 rounds of shots, their first 3 dewormings. This litter will be UKC and ADBA registered. He works with all of his pups on socialization with people and other animals from the time that they are old enough to be around new people and new animals, up until the time they leave. He also has no problem with us coming to meet his dogs before the breeding, to see how they look and most importantly, how their temperaments are. He has told us that we can set up a time to come meet Blue Storm (soon-to-be mom/dam) and possibly go to one of the shows she will be in. And we can do the same for Vapor (soon-to-be dad/sire), who is owned by another kennel, which is owned by a good friend of his. I guess Blue Storm is shown, and Vapors does weight pulling. They are both beautiful APBTs, IMO.

This is Blue Storm...

And this is Vapors...

Vapors is a little thick for my likeing, but because he is being bred with Storm, I think the pups will be beautiful! Oh, and just to let everyone know, we prefer our APBTs with their natural ears. I think they look less intimidating to other people that way. So, just like Brooklyn, Destiny and Jayda, our next pup will not have his/her ears cropped. Not that that really has anything to do with this post! lol!

So anyway, for those of you that know more about breeders, and breeding, I wanted to get some opinions. Does this look like a good breeder, in your opinion? I know that a lot of people out there aren't particularly fond of APBTs. So, I really don't want this to turn into a discussion about that. I just want to know if this sounds like a good breeder or not to you? And if not, could you please tell me why so we know what to look for in another breeder? As of know though, as long as the meetings with Storm and Vapor go well, we are planning on buying a puppy from his next litter.

Oh, and I guess you would need to check out his website to really give me an opinion.. lol! So, here's the website... Torres Bloodlines - Some of Salt Lakes finest American Pit Bull Terriers

Old 04-01-2009, 04:43 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,430,742 times
First, let me preface by saying I don't have any real knowledge about the breed...and that may become very obvious with my questions...
I see no mention of health certifications...maybe this breed does not do this? I'm talking about OFA hips, heart, elbows, thyroid, and eyes? Forgive my ignorance if this is not the case.
Secondly, I see nothing about a health guarantee or even a contract...I may have missed it.
You probably won't feel completely comfortable until you meet this breeder...to me eye to eye contact is the best!
They can tell you all the things that they "think" you may want to hear in a e-mail...I'm not saying this person is...just past experience tells me to meet face to face before making a decision.
Didn't go thru the whole website, so these were my very first thoughts....I did have to go to the pups first tho...what cuties!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-01-2009, 04:45 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,310,687 times
Setting aside all those titles What Health Checks Do the soon to be parents have??

My thought exactly Shelby lol

Old 04-01-2009, 04:51 PM

751 posts, read 2,481,739 times
I understand that the male/dad does weight competitions, but has he ever been shown to see if he meets the breed standard?

Does dad come from a line of weight pullers? If he does, he may produce more muscular looking pups than you would like - as you stated he is a little thick.

Also, have either had any health testing? I don't know what is genetic in APBT's - I'm a boxer owner. I do love "pit bulls" as they are called, but not as much as boxers!

Old 04-01-2009, 04:54 PM

751 posts, read 2,481,739 times
I forgot to add, any real breeder will have a contract that states they will take the dog back no matter the age of the dog. It will also have spay/nueter requirements. I agree with Shelby - go check the breeder out in person. And go more than once before any puppies are born - they will cloud your judgement - they are too darn cute to resist!

Old 04-01-2009, 07:08 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Are you really ready for another dog this soon? Will your living situation be stable enough to have a dog and not run into the same situation as you did with the others (giving two of them away and then having your MIL take care of Brooklyn)?

And why not get a pit bull from a rescue or a shelter? If you get a pit bull from a breeder, are you planning to breed pits? If not... what's the point in playing so much for a purebred pit bull if you aren't going to breed it?

Where your previous pit bulls pure bred and bought from a breeder?

Old 04-01-2009, 07:29 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,310,687 times
One thing I DONT like is this kennel DOES In Breeding!!

Old 04-01-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
First, let me preface by saying I don't have any real knowledge about the breed...and that may become very obvious with my questions...
I see no mention of health certifications...maybe this breed does not do this? I'm talking about OFA hips, heart, elbows, thyroid, and eyes? Forgive my ignorance if this is not the case.
Secondly, I see nothing about a health guarantee or even a contract...I may have missed it.
You probably won't feel completely comfortable until you meet this breeder...to me eye to eye contact is the best!
They can tell you all the things that they "think" you may want to hear in a e-mail...I'm not saying this person is...just past experience tells me to meet face to face before making a decision.
Didn't go thru the whole website, so these were my very first thoughts....I did have to go to the pups first tho...what cuties!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I didn't even think to ask him about all of that, so thank you for bringing that up! I am going to send him another e-mail when I am done responding to these posts and I will have to ask him about all of that, along with a few other new questions I have.

I also agree with you about meeting the breeder in person. We still have plenty of time before we have to make a for sure decision. Like I said, they have a planned breeding in the spring and we will be meeting both of the breeders (the one that I have been talking to who owns Storm, and then the guy who owns the other kennel, Vapors owner), as well as both of the dogs.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
I understand that the male/dad does weight competitions, but has he ever been shown to see if he meets the breed standard?

Does dad come from a line of weight pullers? If he does, he may produce more muscular looking pups than you would like - as you stated he is a little thick.

Also, have either had any health testing? I don't know what is genetic in APBT's - I'm a boxer owner. I do love "pit bulls" as they are called, but not as much as boxers!
As I just said, I am definitely going to ask about all of the health testing stuff. As far as the dad goes, Vapor does weight pulling, but he is also shown as well. We have been told we can go to any of the shows for either of the dogs so we can see them in action. We will definitely be doing that as well. I am not sure if he comes from a line of weight pullers, I will have to add that to my new and improved list of questions! lol! That is a good question, I didn't even think to ask that! See, this is why I need all of you guys! lol! Even if he does though, I am okay with that. As I said before, he is a little thick for what I like/am use to, but he's not too thick for the breed. So, as long as my pup won't end up being much larger than him, we are okay on the size.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
I forgot to add, any real breeder will have a contract that states they will take the dog back no matter the age of the dog. It will also have spay/nueter requirements. I agree with Shelby - go check the breeder out in person. And go more than once before any puppies are born - they will cloud your judgement - they are too darn cute to resist!
Very true... I will have to ask both of those questions as well! I am racking up the new questions here! lol! That is a good thing though. This way, if this doesn't work out with this breeder, and it's looking like it might not , we know more of what to look for with the next one. I am very glad I asked this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
One thing I DONT like is this kennel DOES In Breeding!!
WHAT?! How on earth did I not catch that? How do you know? Did you look at the dogs they have already bred or something? I am going to check that out right now, and that's going to be the first thing I ask him about in this next e-mail. You know, I don't even know if it's worth even sending him another e-mail! lol! I might as well just start looking again! Thank you very, very much for pointing that out for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs