Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 03:36 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,299,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
Nutro horrible? Not totally. I would say supermarket foods are horrible. I also take reviews with a grain of salt. Many of the products have no reviews and some have old ones.
Nutro is one of the worst products on the market. You don't have to read review sites to figure out that when ground rice, rice flour and rice bran are the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th ingredient of the food, it cannot possibly be a quality food. The first 4, preferably 5, ingredients should be named meat products and not fillers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 07:52 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,923,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I tried to rotate twice and the liquid squirts he had on the carpet made me throw up so I put that to a stop :| He loves to eat carrots so we feed them to him when feeding the Guinea Pigs. Other raw veggies he likes too so we give them to him to keep him happy and my carpet dry.
This is what happened to our male English Bulldog whenever I tried to switch his food, he had a very sensitive stomach, we had to be very careful about his treats also.

My thought is, if my dog has no issues with ear infections, eyes are clear, coat looks good and he seems to like the food, then I'm not going to switch. Rugby lived to be 12 years old eating Purina One, thats pretty old for a bully.

My shepherd had issues with ear infections and hot spots. He was on Pruina Pro Plan for sensitive stomach and skin. It worked as far as no more hot spots or ear problems, but he wasn't crazy about the taste. I ended up, after trying so many different foods getting Blue Buffalo, he loved it and the hot spots never came back and his ears were still good.

Our female bully is eating prescription food at the moment trying to get rid of bladder stones so we don't have to go through another surgery. I'm hopeing that when the stones are gone, which the food has been dissolving them, that we can get her on something that will keep the stones away. She also loved Blue Buffalo.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:29 AM

269 posts, read 1,268,103 times
devney,
We rotate different varieties of Orijen itself for our GSD since he is doing extremely well on it. We're currently doing 6 Fish with Sea Vegetables and the regular adult. He gets one in the morning and the other at night.
I absolutely love Orijen, having been through some other brands of dog food for him. His coat is way better now, he is healthier, no farts (Yay!) and he has regular stools!

Old 04-06-2009, 06:54 PM

22,865 posts, read 6,445,738 times
My peke gets Wellness small breed, he's about 20 lbs. Also he eats beef, chicken, fish, pork, tuna, cottage cheese, yogurt.....quite a list of foods that we eat. He's 2 yrs. old, big for a peke but not overweight for his size.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:17 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,102,593 times
I've had a few dogs over the years and all were on self feeding diet with the dry dog food. We'd buy whatever.... most of their food was scraps or whatever else was around. Note they weren't fed directly from the dinner table.

Fruit, raw vegetables, spaghetti, meats.... the list is really endless. As long as they'd eat it we'd give it to them. The one dog we had loved raw carrots and celery. The other one we trained to eat just the knuckles off chicken leg bones, he'd leave the splintery parts. All of them lived very long lives but that can also be attributed to the fact they also got a lot of exercise. The one was a dalmatian and he lived to 12 under such a diet. The longest was 17 however he was quite healthy when he passed and both the vet and us suspect he was poisoned.

I think people get too wound up what they are feeding their dog, like humans keep it diverse and don't be afraid to give them regular food. Just make sure you don't overdo it.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:30 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,924,900 times
I always use both dry and wet food once a day. My dog is good about being a snacker;never overeating. I do not change his food alot as that can give them the poos. I would mix it for a week if so;not suddenly changing it,

Old 04-06-2009, 10:27 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,102,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
My dog is good about being a snacker;never overeating.
With the dry dog food is there ver a problem with them overeating? We just got a new puppy and almost immediately went to self feeding with her. We monitored the amount she was eating for the first couple of days and it was almost exactly what the bag said she was supposed to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs