Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 08:15 PM

3 posts, read 3,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
Wow, that seems like a lot for a 35lb dog. My dogs are 160 and 150 lbs. and I usually give them one heaping spoonful each. I also do a spoonful of plain yogurt with the probiotics in it.
omg I gave my god half a can of pumpkin and she weighs 63 lbs .did I give her to much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 08:18 PM

3 posts, read 3,463 times
Please help, I gave my god half a can of canned pumpkin. Did I give her to much? She weighs 62-65 lbs.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,407 times
My bulldog gets constipated and canned pumpkin and fish oil seem to help and he loves it. He's 125lbs and about 4 oz usually does the trick. Obviously he's a big boy so start with a tablespoon or two to see how it works for your pup

Old 02-08-2017, 06:12 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,004,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cillp View Post
omg I gave my god half a can of pumpkin and she weighs 63 lbs .did I give her to much?
IMO, I would say emphatically no. I see no reason for people to be concerned about the tiny amounts of pumpkin being discussed here as a regular "dose". If your dog likes it, let the dog eat it! It's not like garlic or onions, chocolate, or grapes - where a dog eating LARGE amounts can suffer ill effects. Like kale or spinach for a human - you CAN eat too much of either!

The current fad for dogs is to feed them only meat. They are descended from wolves, right? Well, yeah, but the dogs we have today are descended from 10,000 years of village dogs and farm dogs in between being wolf and today's dog. What did they get to eat then? Trash, leftovers, bread (this is historically documented) and sometimes poop (ugly, but true). Wolves and coyotes also eat wild fruit and vegetables when they are ripe. Dog digestive systems have evolved to handle an even wider variety of stuff, just like humans eat. Dogs still benefit from more protein and innards then we normally eat, but still.

I wouldn't worry about a half can of pumpkin. Or even a can.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:57 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,912,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
IMO, I would say emphatically no. I see no reason for people to be concerned about the tiny amounts of pumpkin being discussed here as a regular "dose". If your dog likes it, let the dog eat it! It's not like garlic or onions, chocolate, or grapes - where a dog eating LARGE amounts can suffer ill effects. Like kale or spinach for a human - you CAN eat too much of either!

The current fad for dogs is to feed them only meat. They are descended from wolves, right? Well, yeah, but the dogs we have today are descended from 10,000 years of village dogs and farm dogs in between being wolf and today's dog. What did they get to eat then? Trash, leftovers, bread (this is historically documented) and sometimes poop (ugly, but true). Wolves and coyotes also eat wild fruit and vegetables when they are ripe. Dog digestive systems have evolved to handle an even wider variety of stuff, just like humans eat. Dogs still benefit from more protein and innards then we normally eat, but still.

I wouldn't worry about a half can of pumpkin. Or even a can.
Sorry, that's not true.

You certainly CAN have ill effects from so much pumpkin. It's a soluble fiber - that's the whole point of why people are using it - they shouldn't be loading up their dogs with it. And they will need A LOT of extra water to process it correctly.

Dr. Dodds (a very well respected vet in the veterinary world)

Dr. Jean Dodds' Pet Health Resource Blog | Pumpkin: Why is it such a popular treatment for...

...the soluble fiber in pumpkin slows digestion, which is beneficial in the management of diarrhea. And, since it absorbs water, it “bulks” up the stool, helping to control the loose, watery stools characteristic of diarrhea. Clinical studies show that soluble fiber helps regulate stool frequency and consistency in people with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) (University of Maryland, 2011).

Too much of a good thing

I have received comments from people who tell me that giving their pet too much canned pumpkin actually causes diarrhea. Indeed, consuming too much fiber too fast can cause a myriad of undesirable GI symptoms, including intestinal gas, abdominal bloating and cramping. To avoid these undesirable effects, simply incorporate small amounts of pumpkin slowly to your pet’s diet and work your way up to the suggested dose. This will allow the bacteria in the digestive tract to adjust to the increased fiber.

These dogs aren't feral out in the wild eating all different things (which in itself means they aren't getting anywhere near a good diet and die younger).

They're eating dog food - normally kibble - which REQUIRES a certain amount of water to process it. And if the fiber is drying up all the water they drink, you'll have problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs