Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 06:40 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,433,671 times

Advertisements

It depends on other factors such as their age etc - as they get older, they have to 'go' more often. I don't know too many people who can hold it for 8 hours (I sure couldn't!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 12:13 PM

331 posts, read 1,385,404 times
me neither, but i think my dog knows she can't fill herself up with water all night while my wife and i aren't home either.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:54 PM

589 posts, read 1,561,525 times
Have him checked out by the vet, he may be diabetic?

Old 08-18-2009, 08:24 PM

20 posts, read 84,179 times
my poppy is 7 weeks old and men does he drink... so you guys say its normal...i hope so i just bought him yesterday and supposely they were at the vet and they had a clear bill of health.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:48 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,433,671 times
I think it's normal too - here in the northeast part of the US, we're having a huge heat wave - I've lost count how many times I've filled their bowls up and how many glasses of water I've had today - can't wait til the fall, LOL.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:04 AM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,124,457 times
My French Bulldog is a huge drinker and has always been that way. I didn't quite know what to make of it either but after eliminating any physical/medical reasons, I just accepted he loved water - and he still does at 10 months of age.

I don't know where you live but we're in the desert southwest and I replenish the 6 water bowls several times a day....I have four dogs...LOL

Getting up in the middle of the night won't go on forever - it's just part of having and training a puppy.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:27 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,668,167 times
Rule out everything else then take a sample of your dog's feces to the vet to be rested for worms.
Dogs with worms often drink huge quantities of water.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:13 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,957,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
Rule out everything else then take a sample of your dog's feces to the vet to be rested for worms.
Dogs with worms often drink huge quantities of water.
I don't know where you got this information from, but it's incorrect. Diarrhea, with its accompanying loss of electrolytes and fluids, will make a dog thirsty, but worms? NO.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:58 AM

605 posts, read 2,991,699 times
I know this is an old post, but I have run into another dog's story in which case the dog was a ccompulsive drinker due to his upbringing. The story was posted by the director of the no kill shelter I got my cat from, and it sounds like measuring his intake was the ticket. I'm sure if you emailed the man and asked him how he dealt with it he'd help you out. The poor dog was adopted and then returned 3 times because of housebreaking issues:

Quote:
Once home, we quickly learned that Barney's bathroom issues were not so much bathroom issues as they were a drinking problem. He was a compulsive drinker. Whenever he saw water, he would drink it. All of it. No matter how much.

We assumed this had something to do with his history, being nearly starved to death in that old barn. If he saw water, he needed to drink it.

Once we realized his "issue", we started measuring his water intake. He was fully house-trained in about 2 days. And, in a very short period of time, he began to realize that food and water were regular resources in his new home, and we were able to leave water out all the time.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:40 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,811,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilvan View Post
Have him checked out by the vet, he may be diabetic?
I agree, if it is enough for you to think it is strange it could be a symptom of something like diabetes, hopefully not, but it might be a good idea to check it out. No, don't deny them the water if they're thirsty though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs