Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 11:13 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,401,855 times

Advertisements

Ok another question...Was he home alone when he jumped thru the window?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 01:09 PM

265 posts, read 1,294,768 times
Oceansideguy, I was going to suggest Golden Rescue as well...but addtionally, I wonder if there might be any pet sitting alternatives for you? I know you said you'd have to work sometimes 12 or 24 hour shifts--would you have notice about these? Is it possible (based on your budget and availability of trustworthy pet care providers) to have someone help out? Have you considered talking to your "tenants" about possibly getting a discount in rent if they help with Rusty? Any family who might step up for an indefinite amount of time (e.g., I have my sister's dog with me now, in NC, as probs arose for her in CA and she couldn't keep her)?

Perhaps you've already thought these things through and the only alternative is to find a new home for him...regardless, I applaud your efforts to figure out what's best for him and make it happen, even though it hurts. (And yes, definitely a male thing on the hesitancy to neuter!) Sending best wishes to you both...

PudelPie

Old 09-27-2008, 03:04 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,989,222 times
Wow, that's rough. He looks almost exactly like my GR, except mine is light golden.

My previous dog suffered from separation anxiety. If she was left alone, she would constantly scratch at the front door, ripping molding off and chewing the doorknob off a bunch of times. The vet gave her pills to calm her down. It did work, she just scratched less. But, she did continue. At the time, I lived in an apartment building. I was fortunate enough to have a bunch of kids who would walk her for me. At $10.00 a walk, kids were knocking down my door to walk her.
Eventually, I met my wife, so one of us was usually home, while the other worked, so it worked out perfectly.

Does your GR get anxiety ONLY when your not home??

Maybe your best option is the rescue group. Tell them what his problem is and maybe they can help him get over the fears and then adopt him out.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:59 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,288,679 times
Im very sorry you are going through this.
Goldens seem to have anxiety and I'm sure a rescue wouldn't hold that against Rusty.
Maybe you can find a rescue that fosters and is willing to work w/ Rusty problem?

Our dog was very nervous when we got him and we crate trained him until he was comfortable ...is that an option?

best of luck!

Old 09-28-2008, 07:34 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,264,467 times
Not sure what is available to you in CA but I knew a pilot in FL who would be gone for 24-48 hours at a time and he put his dog in a doggie day/night care. I think it was $30.00 a day/night. The dog got to play with other dogs during the day and spent the night there. I realize not everyone can afford the cost, I know I couldn't but it worked for him.

You have gotten some great suggestions here. I admire you for doing what is best for your dog.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:52 PM

822 posts, read 3,008,236 times
I do golden retriever rescue on the other side of the U.S. and I think he should do fine in a golden rescue. Our rescue does extensive screening and really places the dogs in wonderful families. As a foster of goldens, I can also testify that, initially, the tendency (of fosters, or dogs arriving in my home) is to try to run away. I don't know the exact psychology, but it has been consistent behavior. One of my dogs found every imaginable gap under the fence and ran away a dozen times; my current foster would dig large holes under the fence but wouldn't go very far. But now, the same dogs just lie in the grass and bask in the sun. In any case, it has been a very consistent reaction. The new families should be prepared for a bumpy adjustment for almost any dog, but within a few weeks, a month, or a couple of months, it should all even out ... Even my calmest, sweetest rescue dog ripped up some carpet her first time alone - and guess what - I just found a way to patch it up. The rescue will also evaluate whether your dog needs a canine companion in the new home, or just family members who are home a lot. My goldens are very calm when we are home, but very anxious when we are not home. I don't entirely understand the psychology, but it is somewhat typical - or at least not atypical.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:54 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,837,219 times
Good Lord, Rusty looks like my dog's (Rowdy) brother! Judging by his appearance he's probably from a working line, a lot of those wind up in foster/shelter care due to an overabundance of energy. He has a real drive to retrieve, right? Wants you to throw something for him all the time? Loves to carry shoes around? Gets totally focused if you show him a tennis ball?

I have to agree with the gallery. Seek assitance from Golden Retriever Rescue in your area. It's a testament to the nobility of this breed that there are organizations specializing in the rescue and re-homing of goldens. A very handsome, purebred young male like Rusty will not have to wait long.

As far as neutering goes, that is kind of a guy thing. Intact dogs that are being evaluated for breeding potential aside, if you do not plan on breeding him it isn't fair to leave him intact. You remember the hormones and the drive you had as a teenager, right? He has all of those but doesn't have a reasoning consciousness that overrides those drives. Having the equipment and no opportunity to use it is extremely frustrating as I'm sure you can well remember. If you neuter him he will still be "Rusty", he just won't have that unrealized drive anymore and can be at peace. It's easy to humanize the dog and think that you wouldn't want to be neutered so why should you neuter your dog, but that's really apples and oranges. He's happiest if he is bred at least once a year, happier if he's neutered, and really frustrated if he's a 40 year old virgin.

Last edited by jimboburnsy; 10-02-2008 at 10:03 AM..

Old 10-06-2008, 06:54 PM

822 posts, read 3,008,236 times
I like the last line, very well put. My (golden) rescue spays or neuters all dogs entering the rescue. Always, every one, no exceptions.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:31 AM

3 posts, read 13,889 times
All of our goldens have been neutered and it helped. Also, have you taken him to the vet for anti-anxiety meds? That would help. Is there a doggy day care you can take him to during the day? Those are great too. If you can get the anxiety under control, you might be able to confine him better and either not have to give him up or find him a home where he can stay. If that doesn't work, contact [URL="http://www.grcglarescue.org"]www.grcglarescue.org[/URL]. They are a rescue group but not a shelter. Don't take him to a shelter. The shelters are terrible. The rescue group will help. They take goldens with all kinds of issues and find them homes as well as foster them until they can find a home for the dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs