Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 09:58 AM

25,997 posts, read 22,187,436 times

Advertisements

I highly favor female dogs over males, especially I think having to do with the breeds of dog I favor. I have noticed though that it just seems like female dogs need to go outside more often to urinate, and I have noticed this over time, lots of time, when we were living in closer quarters, it seemed like the males rarely were going out. Yes, as a female, it seems like I trump both males in the household in this area.

I just had to ask if anyone knows if this is a "thing" or not. I have noticed many seem to prefer males over females here where we are living now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:14 AM

32,679 posts, read 48,175,275 times
Not that I have noticed. My males and females all go out at the same time. Except for the Epagneul Breton who wants to go out a few extra times for a good long run around and around the back property. But he is not going out because he needs to potty, he needs to burn off energy.

I do not have any preference about male vs female dog.

Old Yesterday, 03:24 PM

23,377 posts, read 18,981,518 times
I've never read or heard anything about differences in bladder capacity of male versus female dogs. Obviously, the size, health, drinking habits, and age of the dog (puppy vs adult vs oldster) affects how often and how much they need to pee. Female dogs tend to have a higher incidence of urinary incontinence/leakage/UTIs (that can affect frequency and urges) than males but that is driven more by hormones, not bladder anatomy. Some breeds have smaller bladders and can be more prone to incontinence problems than others too.

Last edited by Parnassia; Yesterday at 03:37 PM..

Old Today, 12:18 AM

5,096 posts, read 12,602,166 times
My males and females go out to pee the same number of times. The difference I have is my males pee more on walks as they have to mark everything on a walk. I also have the issue when I take them out for a final pee before bed my female will squat right way and be done while my male will take his time as he has to find that special spot to before he will go, even in pouring rain!

Old Today, 08:29 AM

25,997 posts, read 22,187,436 times
I actually did have a male and a female at the same time some years ago, and they both did go out at the same time. Dogs that like to be outside are probably more of an issue, especially when it comes to walks. When we were places where the dogs needed to be walked to relieve themselves, it seems we went more often. Who is going to deny the dog a walk if they might need to relieve themselves? Once outside, I'm saying "pee", and they looked at me like "I don't need to pee."

Dogs can be smarter than people, and definitely more manipulative.

Old Today, 03:59 PM

23,377 posts, read 18,981,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I actually did have a male and a female at the same time some years ago, and they both did go out at the same time. Dogs that like to be outside are probably more of an issue, especially when it comes to walks. When we were places where the dogs needed to be walked to relieve themselves, it seems we went more often. Who is going to deny the dog a walk if they might need to relieve themselves? Once outside, I'm saying "pee", and they looked at me like "I don't need to pee."

Dogs can be smarter than people, and definitely more manipulative.
Well, considering that dogs also use pee to mark territories and announce their hormonal state, needing to pee is sort of nuanced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs