Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2024, 05:39 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

Why does my dog chase red male cardinals off the bird feeder, but not the brown female ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2024, 10:09 AM

32,649 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Most recent studies show that dogs do see colors. They see some colors better than they see other colors.

But even in black and white, different colors show up as different shades of gray. If they didn't, there would never have been any black and white TV.

To a dog's nose, the males more than likely smell different than the females.

Old 04-22-2024, 09:11 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,891,073 times
Dogs are red-green colour blind. Even with that though, they will still "see" a difference between a bright red cardinal and a beige one. Red will look something like a dull, dirty yellow but beige will still just look beige.

Where it gets difficult for dogs, is that, for instance, a red ball on green grass will be the same colour to the dogs eyes. Or those Chuck-it balls that are bright orange and easy for us to spot look the same colour as the grass to a dog.

Old 04-23-2024, 03:53 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Dogs are red-green colour blind. Even with that though, they will still "see" a difference between a bright red cardinal and a beige one. Red will look something like a dull, dirty yellow but beige will still just look beige.

Where it gets difficult for dogs, is that, for instance, a red ball on green grass will be the same colour to the dogs eyes. Or those Chuck-it balls that are bright orange and easy for us to spot look the same colour as the grass to a dog.
This. I had a fetching fiend cattledog who lost and destroyed more Chuck-it balls than I cared to replace. If she got bored retrieving them herself (didn't take long), we'd usually come across one or more of the normally loose neighborhood labs who'd take over quite happily. They'd do the fetching and my cattledog was more than happy to herd them in the process. The labs never quite figured out they were being manipulated, but being more single-minded, they didn't particularly care.

Finding out that "tennis" balls sold for dog toys are often regulation tennis play quality rejects, I started buying white regulation wool covered balls in bulk from a high powered tennis club and dying them on the stove myself. I wasn't dying them to help the dog retrieve them from roadside bushes, snow, sand, or mud. She could locate them with her sniffer. I dyed them to help ME find them! My sniffer isn't as good as my eyesight, and I didn't relish shoving my nose into who knows what searching for them. Screaming hot magenta took a lot longer to fade into nothin' special than other colors.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-23-2024 at 04:28 PM..

Old Today, 09:06 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Red are Males maybe your dog doesn't like aggressive males... esp during mating season. Had a bird feeder outside my bedroom window during spring those males would fight esp when a female was around!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs