Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2024, 10:45 AM

551 posts, read 343,805 times

Advertisements

Has anyone tried either of these dental spray for their dogs.

I just started researching both products a little pricy but don’t mind if they work and reduce plaque.

Also, the Petzlife product has neem oil listed as an ingredient, I wonder is this safe to ingest?
I only know of neem ointment applied topically for humans and it works great. I’ve never heard of neem oil being ingested. Another ingredient is grain alcohol. I’m wondering if the amounts are so small it wouldn’t cause harm to a dog.

Recently, purchased for my little dog Arm & Hammer toothbrush and toothpaste it works ok her mouth is small so it’s hard to brush back teeth. Thought a spray would be more effective.

Also, has anyone tried water additives for dental health.

Would appreciate any feedback.

Thank you !

Last edited by bellamax2; 04-12-2024 at 10:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2024, 03:01 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Are you dealing with prevention or reducing tartar that already exists? Can't comment on Petzlife either way. Suzie's Tartar Liquid has been around for decades. They have products you can mix in the pet's water bowl too. It alters the pH of the dog's saliva to help prevent tartar buildup.

https://suziespetsupplies.com/

Be aware that spray on its own probably won't be enough to prevent tartar. Brushing is an important part of dental hygiene. You don't need to use an actual brush. Some dogs don't tolerate them. There are little rubber fingertip gloves with a nubby surface you can rub along your dog's teeth (mostly the outside of the tooth...the dog's tongue tends to keep the inside surfaces cleaner), even dab some dog toothpaste on and rub that on the teeth. There are flavored pastes most dogs don't mind at all.

Start off letting your dog lick the paste, then gently touch the teeth/gums quickly to get the dog used to the idea. One the dog learns this is just a routine every day or so, you can expand to rubbing all around their teeth. This worked best for my dog who had terrible dental issues. She was also a ninny and didn't tolerate a hard brush. The little glove with some chicken flavored dentifrice worked best. She also got some hard kibble and dental chews periodically to help scrape off softer plaque before it hardened to form tartar.

Be aware that a dog's tendency for tooth decay/dental disease is very individual...just like humans. One product might be better suited for some but not others. A dog that hates the taste of one may do fine with another. Using one the dog tolerates better is probably more of a win.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-12-2024 at 03:55 PM..

Old 04-12-2024, 04:57 PM

551 posts, read 343,805 times
^Thank you

I mention recently bought a toothbrush and toothpaste she tolerates it well. It also came with the little nubbie thing, however, she’s a little dog with a little mouth so that nubbie thing doesn’t work for her.

I will look in to the water additives.

Last edited by bellamax2; 04-12-2024 at 05:41 PM..

Old 04-12-2024, 07:17 PM

3,125 posts, read 5,047,057 times
This is the best product we have found for plaque reduction. I use a gloved hand with dental gauze wrapped around a finger and brush their teeth with it twice a day.

https://petwellbeing.com/products/do...34232680480899

Used it as just drops onto the gums as well and rubbed around with a finger and that worked also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs