Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2024, 04:09 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times

Advertisements

Either sex would work. I currently have 1 male and three female GSP's.

Our third GSP female was out of the box a HIGH energy pup. We just threw her right into the mix with the older dogs.

The older dogs literally observed her for an entire day or two, and then they were like "Okay- welcome to the club". This is an exceptionally tolerant breed though.

Our 4th GSP actually came from a litter that our #3 had, and the guy that bought her turned her back to us. (She was the best pup of that litter too- originally I wanted to keep her so worked out in the end).

We got her back at 1year of age and we had to keep her and her 'mom' separated because they would fight like hell. They calmed down after we got them both spayed.

So we just watch the interactions and go from there. I would also recommend you speak to your vet if you get a new pup on the spay and neuter recommendations. Most vets and NAVHDA folks recommend males get neutered after a year so they fill into their bodies. Certain breeds can get 'leggy' if neutered too soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2024, 07:28 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
You are a great dog parent, trust your instincts and you will find the right dog to be a companion to your current dog. I've had 2 females and they were fine together as well as with the other dogs in our neighborhood, I've had a bonded male and female that have been their own best friends and terrorized the rest for the neighborhood dogs. You have the tools to work through the process, go save another pup.

Old 04-07-2024, 08:58 PM

6,850 posts, read 4,847,655 times
I'd get a male. And neuter it assp. A puppy will not be threatening to your dog and should be quickly accepted. I would suggest you go to dog school with the puppy as soon as he is old enough. Also dog school with the current dog if you haven't already done so You will learn as much as the dogs. It can be a lot of fun.

We can't save them all. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 04-10-2024, 09:55 AM

7 posts, read 1,894 times
Introducing dogs on neutral territory, like a park, can be helpful. It's also crucial to establish clear boundaries and routines to prevent any potential conflicts.

Remember, the initial days are critical, so closely monitor their interactions and shower both dogs with affection and attention.

With patience and positive reinforcement, your dogs will hopefully become the best of friends. Best of luck with the adoption process, and please keep us updated on your journey!

Old 04-11-2024, 08:51 AM

7,321 posts, read 4,115,298 times
I wouldn't get a high energy puppy but an older dog with the same energy as your current dog.

I would adopt from a local dog shelter. We have so many dogs here who are given up because of the current inflation. Good dogs, many times purebreds, whose owners who have lost their leases or can't afford to fed them. Charity begins at home.

Old 04-11-2024, 09:20 AM

7,067 posts, read 4,510,340 times
I understand wanting to rescue them all which is why I always had 4 dogs for the past 17 years. I bought a condo and they have a strict 2 dog limit. I would get a male as the combination will be less likely to fight. If you are getting a puppy it shouldn’t be a problem as most dogs realize they are babies and are patient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs