Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2024, 11:26 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
BTW, just to keep the record straight, the original of that was in French, written by and copyright to Elsa Weiss. Original published on cynopolis.fr. I don't know who did this translation.

And, while the poem concentrates on purpose-bred dogs, there are lots of dog breeds who make great pets. And lots of rescue mutts, same. And bloodlines within breeds that were more recently working, but whose bloodline has bred the working character down.
My big male GSP came from show lines. However, he was easily trained to be a fantastic hunter. He has a goofy rear leg point-

I think he doesn't want to spook the bird by raising his front leg, lol.

My female GSP is a DK bred dog- very much hunting bred. Very aggressive searching and pointing birds.

So two dogs with different breeding goals, however the natural instinct is still very intact.

Last edited by Threerun; 03-08-2024 at 11:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2024, 10:24 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mg21 View Post
We are looking to add to our family. Currently have a lab who is 13 and been the best ever. I’ve thought about another lab but I just feel she set the bar too high and I need to look elsewhere.

Been curious in the gsp. I don’t hunt but like a lot of their qualities. Size especially. Lot of lab Breeder have a site of 90# or more near me.

My issue is s I live on land with some chickens. Neighbors all have chickens. I can control the dog to a point but it is a bird dog….am I setting myself up for a chicken serial killer?

Here's an unhelpful story : One of our North Idaho neighbors had chickens in a coop. Another neighbor had a large, aggressive lab (lab mix?). Winter came, snow piled up to the height of the chicken coop fence, and the lab stepped right over the fence and killed all the chickens. Obviously not the best lab ever, but I guess that's where opportunity and lack of training will take over.

Old 03-09-2024, 04:17 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Here's an unhelpful story : One of our North Idaho neighbors had chickens in a coop. Another neighbor had a large, aggressive lab (lab mix?). Winter came, snow piled up to the height of the chicken coop fence, and the lab stepped right over the fence and killed all the chickens. Obviously not the best lab ever, but I guess that's where opportunity and lack of training will take over.
Dogs, even within their breed have different personalities and express selected behaviors to different degrees.

I know a couple of people who have labs that wouldn't put their mouths on anything. They have no interest in chasing or retrieving, not even a ball. One hates water, even getting wet.

A former co-worker was an avid upland game hunter who spent a lot of $ on a field line springer. It didn't show much interest as a pup, so he spent more $ on training. The dog was athletic, fun, a great family pet and companion, but it never developed any interest in game or hunting it whatsoever.

One of my Australian cattledogs was the perfect physical example of her breed. She was beautiful, whip smart, athletic, fast as blazes, a devoted companion to her human and all the rest of it but she never had the audacity to boss another creature into where to go. So much for herding. She welcomed and loved every living creature with the exception of squirrels. So much for being suspicious or protecting the homestead. She was also a ninny; all the dog toys belonged to me, not her. She was even afraid of dropped laundry. So much for standing up to livestock. Luckily, I didn't have any that needed telling. I was grateful for her timidity. They grow potentially dangerous wildlife big around here (moose, bears, coyotes, porkies, wolverines) and the place isn't fenced! .

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-09-2024 at 05:15 PM..

Old 03-16-2024, 06:38 PM

7,067 posts, read 4,510,340 times
My son had a husky shepherd mix and he took it for a run in the country daily. I inherited him at 8 years old and we still had to walk 5 miles a day fast for him to be happy. I was only 60 then so I had no problem exercising him daily. Now at 70 it wouldn’t be fair to get a high energy dog so I have 2 Maltese. People need to take this into consideration. It’s one of the reasons dogs end up in shelters because of people’s unrealistic expectations.

Old 03-17-2024, 04:56 AM

8 posts, read 3,391 times
Hi all. Thanks for the replies. We are still weighing the options on a lab again or gsp.

For the record, we will exercise the dog and it will be a huge part of our family. Not to just hang out. I worked hard to get my lab to be the dog she became.

I’m also aware about any dog will or can go after chickens do training as a puppy will be done.

Not being around a gsp before, I’ve read a lot of mixed things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs