Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 12:03 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times

Advertisements

Yesterday, I had a possible rescue but he didn't come to me. Had the dog done so, I would have taken him to my Vet for a chip check and a medical exam, he was limping, then home to the ranch to be comfortable while I figure out the next step.

Thinking about the "what ifs" of it, I think my supply of collars and leashes were in the truck and not the Subaru I was driving. I could probably have fashioned a collar out of my daily bandanas and leash from paracord until I got something more proper at the Vet's.

The Net has been good enough to give me a page for the question of tying a rope leash to a collar:
https://www.dogvaly.com/dog-leash/kn...oogle_vignette

Is there any knot there you wouldn't use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2024, 06:18 PM

23,253 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Why make this so difficult? If you are prone to picking up strays, why not leave an actual leash with a handle loop and a clip along with a compatible, adjustable webbing collar in each of your vehicles? They tuck into a small zipper pouch so nicely!

As for easy, safe rope knots, you want a knot that will tighten on itself when under strain but is easy to untie when under no strain. Half hitches and bowlines are so simple. Learn how and practice until tying them takes almost no thought. K.I.S.S.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-14-2024 at 06:33 PM..

Old 02-15-2024, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Why make this so difficult? If you are prone to picking up strays, why not leave an actual leash with a handle loop and a clip along with a compatible, adjustable webbing collar in each of your vehicles? They tuck into a small zipper pouch so nicely!

As for easy, safe rope knots, you want a knot that will tighten on itself when under strain but is easy to untie when under no strain. Half hitches and bowlines are so simple. Learn how and practice until tying them takes almost no thought. K.I.S.S.
Thank you for your suggestion......but that's not the question posed.

I am asking that for the research posted, is there a knot there that should not be used. I can't see how I make the question any clearer than that.

Old 02-15-2024, 06:34 AM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
Just use a regular leash. Why complicate it? Or are you just looking to pontificate over and over again?

Old 02-15-2024, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Just use a regular leash. Why complicate it? Or are you just looking to pontificate over and over again?
Because I didn't have a regular leash. I didn't have a regular collar.

What I did have was three bandanas (two for daily wear and a spare one as part of the gear (and before someone else says have something else than those: https://journeywoman.com/solo-travel...y-travel-uses/ )) and lots of paracord. I am a generalist and I am looking for answers with stuff I always have, that aren't specific to one use. I will always have bandanas, I will always have rope.

PLEASE!!!!!Do not try to rephrase the question being asked. It is not what knot to use but is there a knot that should not be used.

It is as simple as that.......and if people continue to try to hijack this thread, I will ask the Mods to close it.

Old 02-15-2024, 07:14 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
Do not use a slip knot or any knot that will tighten around the animals neck. Practice the "
bowline" knot so you can tie it quickly.

Old 02-15-2024, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
do not use a slip knot or any knot that will tighten around the animals neck. Practice the "
bowline" knot so you can tie it quickly.
thank you!

Old 02-15-2024, 09:53 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
You willing to carry a Rope but no a slip leash you can get Free at most vet offices??
Slip leash can be used as is OR you can fashion it into a Halter. Thuse Not choaking the animal. Dogs Not use to walking on with a leash won't choke themselves. Really bulky ones u can loop the lead around their butt.

Old 02-15-2024, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
You willing to carry a Rope but no a slip leash you can get Free at most vet offices??
Questions like this are outside of the parameters of the question asked. Please do not go there, that is not the question being asked.
Quote:

Slip leash can be used as is OR you can fashion it into a Halter. Thuse Not choaking the animal. Dogs Not use to walking on with a leash won't choke themselves. Really bulky ones u can loop the lead around their butt.
Thank you, this is the kind of answer I need, if only in terminology and language. That is, I was thinking of a lariat but not a halter. Adding the second term to the inquiry may get me more or better answers.

Old 02-15-2024, 11:08 AM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,260 times
Well, 1st off, afaic, that page of knots is NOT about practical, real-life solutions, and IS all about making money from ads and click-throughs. I.e. click-bait. It is obviously, to me, knot well-researched, pun obviously intended. The ONLY knots I would use. from that page, for a dog's lead would be the bowline and the square knot. (Notice that page doesn't refer to the square knot by it's common name, but uses the less common "Reef" knot, with square in parentheses. Red flag for somebody trying to LOOK like an expert, but who ain't.

Did you know that shepherds in Spain used bowlines to make instant rope leads for sheep? Bowlines are one of the most ancient, simple, strong and reliable knots known. You can make a stable loop of any size - small or large. You could make a small loop, and use that end loop to fashion a slip lead. With practice, you can tie the bowline around the target critter's neck with a tight enough loop to prevent them slipping out of it. But you aren't a shepherd doing this on a daily basis. I'd stick with making a quick slip-lead, with a small bowline loop on one end, passing the rope back through the loop. Then what you have is as good as any commercial slip lead. You could make a single larger bowline loop as a plain lead - if the dog wasn't inclined to shy off, and willing to follow. If you only had paracord, and a large, strong dog, doubling the cord should be quite adequate. If the dog is a puller, I think it would be more likely to give you rope burn than to break.

There is another knot, not mentioned by that page, that would be one of my first "go-tos" when making a down-and-dirty emergency lead: an overhand loop knot. You just double over the end of the rope, then tie a single overhand knot with both strands, leaving a loop. For some ropes, especially stiff and slippery ones (think polypropylene), I think the resulting loop is more secure than a bowline. A bowline doesn't like to stay knotted in a stiff and slick rope like polypro. In softer ropes, the overhand loop can be harder to untie.

A square knot could be used to reliably make a loop out of a bandanna, but if I had paracord, I wouldn't use the bandannas at all. Because of the size change as you near the corner fabric, where you would be tying the knot, I would not regard those knots as fully reliable under load.

The other knots listed on that page are generally junk for fashioning a dog lead. A fisherman's knot? OMG. Great knot - for fastening monofilament. Not an easy knot to tie. A half hitch? WTF? WHY would you use a half hitch on a dog ANYWHERE! That's a knot that can tighten, like a slip knot, but with little control. A half hitch is a great knot for restraining something on the long end of the rope - like tying up a boat - or tying the END of a rope leash to a post to restrain the dog. It works better when there is tension on the long end of the rope. At the moment, I can't think of a single appropriate use for a dog lead, as I would likely never trust an unknown dog to be tied up. One has to realize, it would take any self-respecting dog about 2 seconds to bite through a paracord leash. It takes mine all of 4 seconds to bite through a good nylon or leather lead.

The other knots? There were a couple that make good stop knots, but using a slip knot with stop knots for this purpose? Meh, I think that's kinda silly. Not the best use of your time. Especially not when you have something as simple and reliable as a bowline.

There is one other thought that occurs to me. If all you had, as an emergency material, was polypro rope? THEN one of the more complicated knots might be useful. Polypro is terrible for holding a knot.

Last edited by hiero2; 02-15-2024 at 11:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs