Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2024, 05:08 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,065,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Obviously a pet dog would be neutered. So no worries there. Hoping some more people will chime in with personal experiences.

The idea of having two in an apartment or condo is appealing since they would have species company. But I wonder if that helps or complicates the pee pad issue.

Any others have experience? And thanks Terry.
I have two male dogs. One of them has had exactly one accident in the house: the day we adopted him. The other will pee in the house 3-4x a week. He's sneaky about it, so we never catch him. It's a good thing he's cute! But I've had female dogs (foster pups) that pee in the house, so there's no guarantees. Pro-tip: pee pads come in sizes. Buy big ones to limit messes.

JMO but I love my male dogs because they are such Mama's boys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2024, 08:01 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times
While I love all dogs you would probably be better with a female dog. Male dogs tend to mark their territory and can be a bit more stubborn about things. I have one of each and while I would never turn away a male dog in need the females seem to be easier.

Old 02-13-2024, 08:26 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
All my dogs have been female EXCEPT the rescue male Pomeranian that spouse brought home for our 6 y.o. I had him neutered but that little bugger STILL lifted his leg! Otherwise, he was a loving, happy dog who was a great companion, good traveler & lived to 15 y.o. I think a FEMALE Pom would be a great condo dog.

If you're not looking for a pure-bred, any chihuahua mix would be great. My first dog was a chihuahua/Pom, when I was in college & living in small spaces. I also had a chihuahua/schipperke mix & currently a chihuahua/rat terrier mix, all females.

Old 02-13-2024, 09:30 PM

3,373 posts, read 1,962,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
I have two male dogs. One of them has had exactly one accident in the house: the day we adopted him. The other will pee in the house 3-4x a week. He's sneaky about it, so we never catch him. It's a good thing he's cute! But I've had female dogs (foster pups) that pee in the house, so there's no guarantees. Pro-tip: pee pads come in sizes. Buy big ones to limit messes.

JMO but I love my male dogs because they are such Mama's boys!

So true and I love it! They so obviously adore me Our females love me too but the males are so demonstrative ... or maybe they've just figured out how to get extra treats

Old 02-13-2024, 11:30 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
I don't think sex is relevant to the OPs question. Some people prefer one sex over the other but I've had dogs of both sexes for decades and to the OP's question, with proper training there shouldn't be a difference for condo living. Yes, males can mark but if the dog is neutered at the right age it's usually not something that can't be corrected with proper training. Likewise, female dogs have "accidents" too.

Our first got-as-a-puppy male dog is a Belgian Malinois. We got him from a rescue at exactly 6 weeks old. Not long after bringing him home, he had his first "accident" on the floor. We told him no, and took him directly outside. That was his first and only accident. We never even had to train him. The next time he had to go, he went to his accident spot, sat down, and stared at me. I instantly recognized what he was telling me, and took him outside and praised him. That was the end of it. He's on the larger side of the spectrum of medium-sized dog, and he'd do great in a condo, so long as it had a 9-acre fenced back yard and livestock to protect.

Old 02-14-2024, 12:37 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
I live in a townhouse type condo and have had both females and males. The one thing I have liked about my females is they were easier to train to pee and poop on command. Not all but most of the boys want to find that perfect spot and cannot be rushed. When it is raining, or I am very tired and taking them out for a final pee at night I appreciate Chaos so much as we hit the lawn I say, " go pee" and she does. Zephyr wants to go cross the road then sniff every rock or plant over there and takes his time. If I do not take him across the street to do that he just stands and does nothing...so he has trained me.

When I had knee surgery despite hiring a dog walker to walk them for me for a couple weeks, I still had to do that last pee of the day. I bought one of those pee sticks and put it on the lawn thinking Zephyr would use it nope he did not even want to sniff it. Yeah, I loved my sweet girl Chaos even more those nights.

I think Zephyr would say he deserves credit for speeding up my recovery by making me take him across the street and walk up and down the hill. I live halfway up a very steep hill.

Old 02-14-2024, 04:18 PM

3,373 posts, read 1,962,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I live in a townhouse type condo and have had both females and males. The one thing I have liked about my females is they were easier to train to pee and poop on command. Not all but most of the boys want to find that perfect spot and cannot be rushed. When it is raining, or I am very tired and taking them out for a final pee at night I appreciate Chaos so much as we hit the lawn I say, " go pee" and she does. Zephyr wants to go cross the road then sniff every rock or plant over there and takes his time. If I do not take him across the street to do that he just stands and does nothing...so he has trained me.

When I had knee surgery despite hiring a dog walker to walk them for me for a couple weeks, I still had to do that last pee of the day. I bought one of those pee sticks and put it on the lawn thinking Zephyr would use it nope he did not even want to sniff it. Yeah, I loved my sweet girl Chaos even more those nights.

I think Zephyr would say he deserves credit for speeding up my recovery by making me take him across the street and walk up and down the hill. I live halfway up a very steep hill.
I laughed so much at how you described Zephyr! All of my males dogs, over the years, have been very very particular about where they pee and poop. My current old male dog will go round and round in circles, then go back and forth and around again, before he decides that he has the perfect spot for his precious poop.

I've had many dogs in my life and I have always felt that the boys pee and poop for fun and the girls just do what they need to do and get on with their day : )

Old 02-20-2024, 08:11 AM

421 posts, read 280,729 times
I went thru a variety dog training classes when he was a pup through age 5. But training him to go on a pad was difficult for my male dog but eventually he went on them. He's always had to pee a lot and does go outside too.

Old 03-01-2024, 04:59 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
Yup the boys want their messages read so pee mail has to be in the correct spot.

Old 03-01-2024, 10:05 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,603,730 times
I had male and female dogs in an upper-floor condo for 30+ years. My first boy was neutered at the age of 9 or 10 years (he had been a show dog) and my second boy was never neutered. Neither of them marked the apartment after being housebroken, until they had passed their 13th or 14th birthday and had occasional incontinence. Of the two females I had, spayed at age 4 and 6 respectively, they didn't have problems.

I never trained my dogs on pee pads.

I would recommend medium-sized dogs who don't need a lot of running (medium to low energy level). Medium-sized so that they can go for longer without needing to relieve themselves, which is helpful if you have several floors between your home and the outdoors and the dogs didn't take to using pee pads.

The best thing about raising dogs in condominiums is the exposure to different ages and types of people - excellent socialization. The worst is that there will usually be some restrictions - possibly in the weights and types of dogs - and rules such as keeping the dog(s) on leash in the condominium's common areas, and vulnerability to neighbor complaints about barking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs