Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2024, 03:19 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,001,847 times

Advertisements

I've got a copy of Travels with Charley on a bookshelf somewhere in the house. It's been years since I read it. "Sick Puppy" by Carl Hiaasen - love his stuff. "A Boy and His Dog" by Harlan Ellison. And there's Mouse in Jim Butcher's Dresden Files books. He often gets a star supporting role in those adventures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2024, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yes, I love Steinbeck - and that's one of his better books, in my opinion! It's mostly fictional, though, despite it being cataloged as nonfiction. I'm a librarian lol. He did go on that journey, but in real life the dog didn't actually come with him. Sooo yeah.

I would also recommend The Art of Racing in the Rain. That one is (100%) fiction, and told mostly from the perspective of Enzo the dog.
Your description of the factuality of Travels with Charley (or lack thereof) inspired me to go read the Wikipedia entry. The factualness of the events portrayed has been questioned by some. However, no mention is made of Charley being absent from whatever road-tripping Steinbeck actually did. FWIW.

As the Herriot books are now regarded as mostly fictional, which has greatly disappointed me, I'm not emotionally ready to give up on Steinbeck on this. It's ok by me if he used stories out of their context in reality. But whole cloth, and no Charley? "Say it ain't so, Joe?"

Old 01-25-2024, 04:43 AM

3,376 posts, read 1,971,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I have not but I will.

This is a fun read-

Throw the Damn Ball: Classic Poetry by Dogs

R. D. Rosen (Author), Harry Prichett (Author), Rob Battles (Author)
I cracked up at the title "Throw the Damn Ball!" That's a must read for me! Thx.

Old 01-25-2024, 09:12 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,099,644 times
My 3 favorite dog books:

The art of racing in the rain
A dog's purpose
Travel's with Charlie

I liked Marley and Me a lot but it made me cry so much.

Old 01-25-2024, 11:17 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,374,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post

I liked Marley and Me a lot but it made me cry so much.

Talk about crying: Old Yeller (but I still loved it).

For a completely charming but definitely anthropomorphic dog, I highly-highly recommend Edward, who is the dog in Brian Doyle's great book, Chicago.

Old 01-27-2024, 05:58 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,700,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
As the Herriot books are now regarded as mostly fictional
Huh? This is news to me. I know that the stories are not entirely autobiographical and are "loosely based on real events and people" but I wouldn't call them fictional, especially because he was an actual vet.

Old 01-29-2024, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Huh? This is news to me. I know that the stories are not entirely autobiographical and are "loosely based on real events and people" but I wouldn't call them fictional, especially because he was an actual vet.
It was news to me, also. Very disappointing news. You can read all about the why over at Wikipedia. I still love the original stories, so, like a gift horse, I'm not looking any farther any more. It is what it is. Like Steinbeck's telling of "Travels with Charlie", the telling is good. I'm sorry now that I even said anything to spread the "news". I shouldn't have said anything at all. Should have just let it be.

Old 01-29-2024, 02:24 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,700,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
It was news to me, also. Very disappointing news. You can read all about the why over at Wikipedia. I still love the original stories, so, like a gift horse, I'm not looking any farther any more. It is what it is. Like Steinbeck's telling of "Travels with Charlie", the telling is good. I'm sorry now that I even said anything to spread the "news". I shouldn't have said anything at all. Should have just let it be.
No, it’s okay. I’ll still enjoy the stories

Old 02-01-2024, 01:52 AM

3,376 posts, read 1,971,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
Talk about crying: [I]Old Yeller[/i] (but I still loved it).

For a completely charming but definitely anthropomorphic dog, I highly-highly recommend Edward, who is the dog in Brian Doyle's great book, Chicago.
That's the kind of book that stays with you. I read it when I was 12 or 13 and many many years later, just seeing that title brings back such powerful memories. Yes, it brings tears, but it's such a worthwhile book to read.

Old 02-05-2024, 05:55 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,684,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yes, I love Steinbeck - and that's one of his better books, in my opinion! It's mostly fictional, though, despite it being cataloged as nonfiction. I'm a librarian lol. He did go on that journey, but in real life the dog didn't actually come with him. Sooo yeah.

I would also recommend The Art of Racing in the Rain. That one is (100%) fiction, and told mostly from the perspective of Enzo the dog.
I was so perturbed by your post that I actually went and researched it.

First of all, my particular edition has a preface where it talks about Steinbeck asking his wife about bringing the dog, so I was pretty sure that your saying the dog didn't come was wrong. Then I actually called two Steinbeck academic centers and both confirmed that Charley was with Steinbeck. So that is true, and I'm guessing that maybe your information that it's fiction may well be incorrect, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs