Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 03:21 PM

19,817 posts, read 22,710,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetiredone View Post
I just cleaned up pee again from my dog who keeps taking off his belly wrap. This is a constant thing. I wake in the morning and find pee on the floor or step in it when I come home. I have resorted to putting him in a gated area, but it does not help since he somehow gets his belly wrap off and there is pee on the pads and towel. The Vet determined awhile back he needed to switch to a kidney diet, and it would lessen the amount he goes but I don't think it has. When I do find him going inside, he still has to pee when I take him out soon afterwards. He does not pee much when we walk. He did have his urine recently checked and there wasn't anything wrong. I thought he could be diabetic but is not. This coming month he's due for bloodwork so maybe something will show but I have a feeling it will not. Also, the Vet suggested to put a onesie on him. But when he has to go out to pee, I barely can get his belly wrap off since he's running out to go.
How old is your dog? My older male has to pee more often than he used to. My youngest dog just made an 8 hr trip back from bird hunting and she peed zero times. Stopped twice and NADA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2024, 09:25 PM

424 posts, read 284,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
He had his urine checked last month and he's not diabetic. HUH

BLOODWORK!!! Not Urine finds Diabetes & the same Bloodwork can check for a LOT of things that can/will go wrong!
My old vet 72 years young knows this... Are You even taking this dog to a Vet??
Yes, I am taking the dog to a Vet. They can check for sugar in the urine just like they do with humans. And I know they do bloodwork for diabetes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The OP has clearly stated more than once that the he/she is taking the dog to a vet.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
What does this even mean? A urine sample can detect both types of canine diabetes (insipidus and mellitus). Insipidus is a lot less common than mellitus. Of course appropriate bloodwork should also be done.
Thanks I can't believe the bloodwork is going to be $175! Not just for his urine but everything will be checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
How old is your dog? My older male has to pee more often than he used to. My youngest dog just made an 8 hr trip back from bird hunting and she peed zero times. Stopped twice and NADA.
He's 16.

Old 01-02-2024, 11:44 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times
They Stopped using Urine Decades ago!!! You need a new Vet!

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=diabetes+..._ts-doa-p_1_30

Old 01-03-2024, 12:28 AM

19,817 posts, read 22,710,079 times
Quote:
He's 16.
I’m not trying to sound obtuse but in most if not all dog breeds that’s a senior dog, and all of our senior dogs at some point had incontinence issues. Unless it’s something that occurred rapidly I’m not sure having a vet check ‘why’ is going to net anything.

We had to have a room cordoned off where we could clean the issue with little fuss and then make sure we let them out frequently during waking hours.

I hope you find a workable solution.

Old 01-03-2024, 07:33 AM

4,871 posts, read 3,296,158 times
Quote:
They Stopped using Urine Decades ago!!! You need a new Vet!

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=diabetes+..._ts-doa-p_1_30

Google disagrees and says a urine test can be a quick indicator of a problem (or not). For whatever that's worth. 2021 article.

Old 01-03-2024, 01:57 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,917,248 times
The internet says "the standard blood glucose test for diabetes in dogs and humans does not test for vasopressin levels".

It also states that most vet clinics don't have the equipment to test for vasopressin levels, they have to send the blood to a lab and it takes a few days to get a result.

Old 01-03-2024, 03:38 PM

23,346 posts, read 18,916,990 times
Quote:
Thanks I can't believe the bloodwork is going to be $175! Not just for his urine but everything will be checked.
Ever taken a close look at what your health insurance pays out for YOUR routine bloodwork? $175 isn't bad at all.

Old 01-04-2024, 07:28 AM

3,805 posts, read 3,004,338 times
Quote:
He had his urine checked last month and he's not diabetic. HUH

BLOODWORK!!! Not Urine finds Diabetes & the same Bloodwork can check for a LOT of things that can/will go wrong!
My old vet 72 years young knows this... Are You even taking this dog to a Vet??
Glucose is found in the urine with a simple dipstick test.
If it’s there, it just means the disease is now advanced.
Blood tests are definitely the mainstay for diagnosis, and then ongoing management.
Urinating a lot can also mean kidney problems, so blood tests will pick that up too.
Urine specific gravity should also be tested as well, from a urine sample.

Old 01-04-2024, 07:53 AM

3,805 posts, read 3,004,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
You could be describing the symptoms of diabetes insipidus, which is caused by a vasopressin hormone deficiency and not related to the type of diabetes that is related to blood sugar levels. I don't know that there is a test for it specifically but is usually diagnosed by excessive thirst, urination, and lack of other causes.

Most vets aren't too familiar with it, ours wasn't, and told us the only "treatment" was she had to be an outside dog. Fortunately a second opinion resulted in a vasopressin Rx that instantly solved the problem. If the onset is at a young age, sometimes the problem self-resolves as the dog goes through adolescence, but only if it's treated with vasopressin as a bridge through adolescence. If it's not treated the dog likely will physiologically be unable to retain urine regardless if adolescence fixes the hormone imbalance if the muscles and ligaments required to hold urine don't develop correctly.
Diabetes insipidus is a very rare disease in dogs.
I’ve only ever seen it once in over 20 years.
My memory is that the urine was very dilute and the urine specific gravity was hyposthenuric.
I’m a Vet btw, but no longer work in private practice.

Old 01-04-2024, 03:03 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Glucose is found in the urine with a simple dipstick test.
If it’s there, it just means the disease is now advanced.
Blood tests are definitely the mainstay for diagnosis, and then ongoing management.
Urinating a lot can also mean kidney problems, so blood tests will pick that up too.
Urine specific gravity should also be tested as well, from a urine sample.
Yes, that is why they Don't use it any more in Humans or Animals.

07-09-2008Announcement: The links and information found on this board are in no way a substitute for regular or emergency veterinary care, nor are they intended as veterinary advice. If you have an injured or sick pet, please see a licensed vet immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs