Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2023, 04:30 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,818,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceira View Post
Is it past its "best before" date?
No it's not, that date is June 2025, but I thought they had a 90 day return policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2023, 04:32 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,818,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
So in the end, this thread was just wasted effort?
I asked a question to see if others experienced what I did. Not to learn about how to feed dogs. If this was a wasted thread to you, you didn't need to click on it.

Old 12-15-2023, 10:30 AM

631 posts, read 398,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
No it's not, that date is June 2025, but I thought they had a 90 day return policy.
Costco has a very generous return policy. I returned an item outside of the 90 day window and they gave me a cash card for the value of the item. If you still have the remaining cans, take them back.

Old 12-21-2023, 10:26 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
There is a misguided trend to producing "grain free" dog foods and Costco sells more than their fair share of it. Most of them have plant protein sources that most dogs and not even humans have a long history of consuming, it's no wonder its making some sick and in some cases even worse.

There is nothing wrong with feeding dogs the grains they have been consuming for the entirety of their domestication for the last several thousand years. Unless you make your own food the alternative is feeding them all the mystery ingredients invented for "grain free dog food" that were conceived in the last few years, we won't know how they affect a dog's health and lifespan until they've been consumed for several generations. This hasn't happened yet. If you want to be part of this experiment, buy your dog expensive grain-free food. If you want to feed your dog what it's ancestors consumed for thousands of years, relax and buy the same stuff your grandparents fed their dogs.

Last edited by terracore; 12-21-2023 at 10:38 PM..

Old 12-22-2023, 12:48 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
I have used Costco's canned dog food for years with one of my dogs, he never had an issue, he passed away last year. I can't remember if the cans come in different flavors/consistencies. Now we have Kirkland Nature's Domain Turkey & Pea Stew. A few months ago it caused problems with 2 dogs I was boarding - gave them diarrhea. I don't feed it to my dog but I gave her some over the weekend, and she was farting the whole next day. So I'm ready to trash it. I just wonder what the heck is in it, causing this.
We're talking about the red can 'Natures Domain', yes? I noticed a number of years ago, maybe 4-5, they had changed at least the consistency of the food. Normally it appeared like a hearty stew, but this batch was more like a paste. They quickly changed it back.

I use the canned for our 4 bird dogs especially during hunting season when they are really consuming calories. They will occasionally get the runs- but they are afield so no biggie. When it gets really cold in the winter I will supplement their normal diet with some.

I've really not noticed any issues with the food with any of my dogs. I have an older dog that now needs senior / gentle on the tummy food (he will throw up undigested normal food) however he definitely tolerates the Kirkland canned.

Old 12-24-2023, 08:31 AM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
I have used Costco's canned dog food for years with one of my dogs, he never had an issue, he passed away last year. I can't remember if the cans come in different flavors/consistencies. Now we have Kirkland Nature's Domain Turkey & Pea Stew. A few months ago it caused problems with 2 dogs I was boarding - gave them diarrhea. I don't feed it to my dog but I gave her some over the weekend, and she was farting the whole next day. So I'm ready to trash it. I just wonder what the heck is in it, causing this.
It's probably just do to a change in foodstuffs and sensitive digestive tracts. Happens to people too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs