Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2023, 12:03 PM

439 posts, read 961,026 times

Advertisements

My Lab has IBS just found out. In the process of finding the appropriate food mix, elminating and adding items a digestive powder was mentioned in my research.

I have tried these additives before however the ones I selected have a destintive odor which in adding to food makes my dogs turn up their noses. Is there such a thing as an unflavored brand?

As they appear to be expensive, thought I would ask this question to you all for your recommendaations?

Thank you ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2023, 08:03 AM

28,955 posts, read 30,307,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudydog1 View Post
My Lab has IBS just found out. In the process of finding the appropriate food mix, elminating and adding items a digestive powder was mentioned in my research.

I have tried these additives before however the ones I selected have a destintive odor which in adding to food makes my dogs turn up their noses. Is there such a thing as an unflavored brand?

As they appear to be expensive, thought I would ask this question to you all for your recommendaations?

Thank you ..
Many years ago, I adopted a red doberman, who was being abused, she was 3, and had diarreha very bad...we were feeding kibble but she had it when we adopted her....so I contacted my aunt who was a dog breeder, she showed her dogs, trained and gave puppy kindergarden classes and other dog obediance training classes....she was very well known in the dog show business and was even on TV at one time...

So, she had me start making my own dog food, which was for me the beginning of the end of kibble. Kibble has terrible chemicals in it, even the best you can buy kibble, there are chemicals from processing and also dyes in it. Many years ago, dogs lived longer, when kibble wasn't available.

So, she purchased a cows stomach/tripe (it was green, meaning it was only washed down and not processed) for me, from a farmer, and I but it up in to small pieces (what a job) then she had me buy chicken necks and backs, put them in a large pot, and cover with water, and simmer most of the day, until it all started falling apart....oh, I also put 3 T. of apple cidar vinegar in it...and still do to this day upon making bone broth, it sucks all the minerals out of the bones. So, when it was all soft and breaking apart, she had me add some rice, and continue to simmer until the rice was cooked...then I added mixed vegtables at the end, and allowed it all to cool, and when it was all cool, I added the cut up cows stomach....and then packed it in serving sizes in baggies, as we had 3 and sometimes 4 other dogs, and then froze it....

Do you know almost a week after starting her on this regiment, she cleared up and never had it again...I never looked back, my dogs stopped shedding, stopped constantly licking their paws and bodies, their gums looked so much better...

yes, it was work, but when you fit it into your schedule, you become used to doing it...and I would do it again in a heartbeat and I strongly believe in raw feeding....dogs were meant to eat raw their ancestors did, it's so much better for their coats and all over well being.....there is tonds of information on the internets as far as home made recipes, not just for raw food, but also cooked meals you can make them.. Kibble causes all kinds of problems, itching, runny stools, I mean the stuff is poison....we are what we eat and a lot of our health problems stems from the chemicals in our foods, including our pets.

There is a group on FB that I joined years ago, called Raw and Holistic Cat and dog support group, which was out of the UK, started by a wonderful woman, who was so dedicated to helping people with pets...she has since passed away, but the group grew so big and helpful that so many members have joined...those people are friendly and very helpful, so if you go in, you can read, you don't have to join, but you can join and explain your problems and they will come back to you with many things you can try. It is so worth it. Changes your entire perspective on caring for your pets. There are holistic vets who also come into the site when needed to help. So....

there are so so many natural things out there that are advantageous to an overall good health, like pumpkin, probiotics, and vitamins...you can incorporate into your dogs routine. kibble was made to last for years....and loaded with some really bad stuff....that causes cancers and other problems....I do not believe in vaccines, but that's my choice...and has to be uo to the dog owner....but they can also cause some very serious problems in dogs. I had a holistic vet that I used...when I had my dogs...

Quote:
One more thing, what I have suggested here, isn't going to be for everyone, you have to do you, and not everyone will agree. I've been around horses, dogs and cats all my life, some 75 years....my uncle trained horses, showed and bred, he was even friends with Roy Rogers, and Glen Randall, who was Roys, horse trainer....I had lunch with Roy Rogers and Dale Evens, and my uncle rode in some of the most prestigeous shows around...so, there is a knowledgeable background, but you have to do you, whatever works best....just thought I'd jump in and give you my opinion and what worked for us. Remember everyone has opinions even vets, no 2 people think alike. Sending my best to you and your fur baby.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 12-02-2023 at 08:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs