Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2023, 10:28 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times

Advertisements

Those of you who have given glucosamine/ chondroitin to dogs, how long before you saw any improvement?

I've started Wyatt McRiot on glucosamine and I can't tell if it has no effect or maybe he hasn't taken it long enough. I'm not terribly optimistic about it since he doesn't appear to have any sort of pain anywhere, just getting weak, but thought I would give it a try just in case it helps.

I bought the pills made for humans. They come with three times as many pills for less than half the price and he is accustomed to taking pills with his breakfast. He slurps the new ones down just like his pills he has had every morning for the last 12 years. They smell nice and he doesn't bite into them. The expensive ones for dogs probably come in a liver flavored chewie treat which costs more,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2023, 08:10 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,057 times
I have fed Dasuquin to my Rottweiler and my Catahoula/Pit Bull for a few years.

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail....3-C8F048F38DC2

It really helped my Rottweiler but, unfortunately I lost her to cancer last year. She was Rottie number four whom I lost to cancer in my lifetime.

The Catahoula has some arthritis in his back and the Dasuquin helps him, along with the critter chiropractor who also works on my horses.

My dogs don’t herd but they do (did) “check fences” on 20+ acres of hills so there is plenty of exercise.

The Dasuquin is expensive but it works. I’m not sure if Nutramax allows price wars/price matching on this product. I feed Cosequin ASU Plus to one if my horses and the price on that is fixed.

If something is going to work, you should see some sort of improvement in a week.

Old 11-28-2023, 09:36 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,893,246 times
I've tried it on some of our senior dogs, for a long time, and I didn't notice any effects. But since the dog can't tell me whether or not it makes them feel any better, I'll never know.

Aspirin works pretty well for awhile. Tramadol will make a dog think it's 10 years younger, but good luck finding a vet that will give you any. They say its a bad thing because trying to run around like a young fool will cause them injuries and make things worse.

Old 11-29-2023, 03:15 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I've started Wyatt McRiot on glucosamine and I can't tell if it has no effect or maybe he hasn't taken it long enough. I'm not terribly optimistic about it since he doesn't appear to have any sort of pain anywhere, just getting weak, but thought I would give it a try just in case it helps.
From everything I've read about glucosamine type supplements (I've used various formulations myself for decades), they are used primarily for pain relief, not "weakness". Weakness implies loss of muscle that can support and protect an aging joint. Targeted exercise might improve that. As for pain, some dogs are quite stoic especially about things that come on gradually. They adapt to new normals and live in the present much better than we do. Most of my cattledogs ignored anything less than a severed artery . As one vet put it, cattledogs need their humans to remind them they aren't indestructible.

Old 11-30-2023, 07:20 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,686,308 times
I feed Dog MX Hip and Joint for large breed dogs and I noticed a difference almost immediately after I started feeding two tablets a day with food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs