Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2023, 08:52 AM

656 posts, read 1,355,271 times

Advertisements

It’s been awhile since I’ve been back on this site hope everyone is doing well. So my Olde English bulldogge developed almost like a talon 2 years ago on her back paw. Just would grow real fast but that’s about it. About a year ago it started morphing into something totally new and I can’t even find something remotely like it online so I figured I’d ask in here. She’s not in any pain with it, sometimes it’ll bleed and we wrap it up. Sadly the only thing the vet can do is remove the toe completely however she is old and has Cushings disease (another lovely experience) so I don’t want to risk putting her under. Anyways I’ll show the pictures of the transformation, they are pretty gnarly . She’s all antibiotics continually for it and the cushings so that has helped with infections etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Weird dog nail (warning graphic)-img_1504.jpeg   Weird dog nail (warning graphic)-img_2023.jpeg   Weird dog nail (warning graphic)-img_2085.jpeg   Weird dog nail (warning graphic)-img_2257.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2023, 09:04 AM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Did your veterinarian say what it is? Does it prevent her from walking? Sure looks like it. Does she chew on it and if so, does she make any sounds of feeling pain? There must be blood vessels running through it, otherwise the vet would cut it, no? Sure hope this will continue to be controlled by antibiotics at least.

Old 09-30-2023, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Did your veterinarian say what it is? Does it prevent her from walking? Sure looks like it. Does she chew on it and if so, does she make any sounds of feeling pain? There must be blood vessels running through it, otherwise the vet would cut it, no? Sure hope this will continue to be controlled by antibiotics at least.
She’s pretty regularly at the vet and they have only seen one case of this before. No she still walks and no pain. The cushings has been more of an issue than the nail really. They can cut parts of it off but it continues to grow back and the only way to fix is complete removal of the toe. And no she never chews or even slightly mess with it.

Old 09-30-2023, 09:34 AM

That's a relief. My dog who passed away recently had an issue that looked awful but my vet told me it really wasn't a problem. He loved to dig in the red adobe dirt in New Mexico with his nose. That dirt is very caustic so his nose became raw. Every time the scabs would get to the point of drying up and falling off, they apparently would itch and he would rub hem off. This cycle went on for 3.5 years. Nothing worked. He hated any kind of cream I put on there; there were quite a few. I gave up and the vet just said that's the way it has to be.

Hopefully the growth won't become a problem and stay the way it is except for its fast growth.

Old 09-30-2023, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
That's a relief. My dog who passed away recently had an issue that looked awful but my vet told me it really wasn't a problem. He loved to dig in the red adobe dirt in New Mexico with his nose. That dirt is very caustic so his nose became raw. Every time the scabs would get to the point of drying up and falling off, they apparently would itch and he would rub hem off. This cycle went on for 3.5 years. Nothing worked. He hated any kind of cream I put on there; there were quite a few. I gave up and the vet just said that's the way it has to be.

Hopefully the growth won't become a problem and stay the way it is except for its fast growth.
Oh yeah I definitely wouldn’t allow her to be in pain. We are huge dog people and rescue dog type. I’ve poured thousands and thousands into my last sick dog. I’m just curious if anyone else has seen this type before.

Ugh I hate to hear that about your doggy. It’s tough trying to keep these medicines on them sometimes.

Old 09-30-2023, 11:58 AM

Thank you. Yes, and he was early abused in a terrible way, for a couple of years, so he never showed his belly and he wouldn't allow me to brush his teeth. I decided it wasn't worth the struggle and causing him further stress. As for oral meds, he got so he knew that there was a pill inside that yummy ball of meat or other treat, the rascal. The final two days of his life I just let it be because i knew it was "time."

Old 09-30-2023, 12:02 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
All of her nails need trimmed more often. That one with the extra width... for lack of a better description. Could be better trimmed then shaped. By that take emery board & file Around it. Do this a little Every Day! In addition to Regular trimmings.

Old 09-30-2023, 03:30 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
I'd be inclined to remove that mess entirely. It may not bother her but there could be a malignancy developing. Constant meds for infections can't be good. Sampling for biopsy might provide more information.

Is the vet certain they'd need to put your dog under general anesthesia in order to remove the toe? There may be an alternative that won't be as risky. Do some research on vets and consider another consultation to gain more perspective.

Old 09-30-2023, 03:34 PM

That's what I was thinking, that there could or should be another way to treat that nail and toe by removing the toe surgically. I second the comment that you should get a second opinion or even a third. Maybe there is something that can be done.

Old 09-30-2023, 04:29 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Even a Swab of it ... Looks like a Fungus Infection to me. And Dogs Don't show pain. Something constant like this they would ignore.

Pododermatitis can be a manifestation of a fungal infection in dogs, which means inflammation of the skin on the toe and around the nail. Canine pododermatitiscan affect the nail bed and nails and is caused by infection (bacterial and fungal), allergies, endocrine and metabolic issues, and tumors.

Fungal infections in dog toenails can cause thickening of the nails. This condition is called onychomycosis and is caused by a fungal infection of the claws or nail beds 123. Symptoms of onychomycosis include intense itchiness, flaky or crusty skin particularly around your dog’s nails, skin folds, armpits and anal area but can also include ear infections 3.

Treatment for onychomycosis usually involves a combination of topical antifungal creams and rinses that will clear the infection within 3 to 4 weeks. In severe cases, the vet may prescribe oral fungicide medication 4. Home remedies that are said to work for your dog’s fungi-infected nails are apple cider vinegar, white vinegar, and oregano oil. Of the three, apple cider vinegar is the most potent, where a diluted solution of water and AVC is in the ratio of 2:1 2.

It’s important to note that any suspected nail infection should always be seen by a vet before it worsens or spreads 1.

Learn more:
1. betterpet.com
2. pawsafe.com
3. hillcrestanimals.com
4. vetinfo.com
5. volharddognutrition.com
6. dog-health-guide.org
7. pawdiet.com
8. breedingbusiness.com
9. lovetoknowpets.com
+6 more
of

what causes abnormal nail growth in dogs?
Searching for: abnormal nail growth in dogs

Searching for: abnormal nail growth in dogs

Searching for: dog nail fungus symptoms causes treatment

Searching for: dog nail fungus symptoms causes treatment

Searching for: dog nail fungus treatment

Searching for: dog nail fungus treatment

Generating answers for you…

Generating answers for you…

Abnormal nail growth in dogs can be caused by a variety of factors, including:

Bacterial or fungal infections: These infections can cause the nails to become brittle, discolored, or deformed 123.
Trauma: Injuries to the nail bed or nail matrix can cause abnormal nail growth 1.
Autoimmune diseases: Autoimmune diseases such as lupus and pemphigus can cause the nails to become brittle and break easily 1.
Nutritional deficiencies: Nutritional deficiencies such as zinc deficiency can cause the nails to become brittle and break easily 1.
Tumors: Tumors in the nail bed can cause abnormal nail growth 2.
If you notice any abnormality in your dog’s nails, it’s important to take them to a vet for proper diagnosis and treatment 1.

Learn more:
1. firstvet.com
2. vethelpful.com
3. dog-health-guide.org
4. fluffyplanet.com
5. cuteness.com
6. wagwalking.com
7. pawdiet.com
8. pawsafe.com
9. breedingbusiness.com
10. lovetoknowpets.com
11. betterpet.com
12. hillcrestanimals.com
13. vetinfo.com
+10 more
of

How can I prevent my dog from getting abnormal nail growth?
What are the symptoms of a bacterial or fungal infection in dogs' nails?
Can trimming your dog's nails too short cause abnormal nail growth?
Recent activity

Fungal Infections in Dog Toenails
1:31 AM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs