Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2023, 05:59 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,897,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Dogs are wild animals, and the difference between these breeds and more traditional breeds is becoming akin to the difference between a large wild cat and a domestic cat, and the same applies to the damage such animals can inflict.
Dogs are not wild animals. Wild animals don't have breeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2023, 05:04 AM

27,209 posts, read 13,496,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Dogs are not wild animals. Wild animals don't have breeds.
Wild dogs are generally divided into dogs, coyotes, foxes, wolves, jackals, and dingoes, so there are numerous types.

As for Bull Dogs and Terriers, they were not bred to be domestic pets, and there history often relates to Bear-baiting, and Bull-baiting hence the term bull dogs and bully's, as well as Dog fighting, hunting and flushing out animals etc. There was even Lion-baiting, as well as Badger-baiting. There were even at one time Bear-leaders who would lead bears about the country in relation to the blood sport of bear-baiting.

Whilst other dogs were used in Coursing and other such pursuits such as herding etc, however these dogs were bred as aggressive powerful fighting dogs or tough working dogs and were treated as such rather than being some historic cuddly domesticated pet, and you are dealing with the ancestors of these dogs who were often used and bred in order to rip apart wild animals or to fight each other.

In London at one time, it was not uncommon to see a tethered Bull or Bear (or other animal) in the streets and for the dogs to released to fight it, as a form of entertainment, and this is why so many Bull and terrier breeds used in blood sport, fighting and other such activities were first established in England and other parts of Europe.

As for further cross breeding these already powerful and dangerous animals, in order to create even more potentially powerful and dangerous animals, it's going presents problems and indeed consequences.

Finally it should be noted that the Prime Minister Rishi Sunak, has just announced that Bully XL dogs will be banned from the end of the year, following yet another tragic death yesterday.

American XL bully dogs to be banned after attacks, Rishi Sunak says - Sky News (15th September 2023)

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-15-2023 at 05:43 AM..

Old 09-15-2023, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Wild dogs are generally divided into dogs, coyotes, foxes, wolves, jackals, and dingoes, so there are numerous types.
Once more, because you seem to want to argue a basic fact: Dogs are not wild animals. Wild animals don't have breeds.

Old 09-15-2023, 04:33 PM

23,338 posts, read 18,903,694 times

As for Bull Dogs and Terriers, they were not bred to be domestic pets, and there history often relates to Bear-baiting, and Bull-baiting hence the term bull dogs and bully's, as well as Dog fighting, hunting and flushing out animals etc. There was even Lion-baiting, as well as Badger-baiting. There were even at one time Bear-leaders who would lead bears about the country in relation to the blood sport of bear-baiting.

Whilst other dogs were used in Coursing and other such pursuits such as herding etc, however these dogs were bred as aggressive powerful fighting dogs or tough working dogs and were treated as such rather than being some historic cuddly domesticated pet, and you are dealing with the ancestors of these dogs who were often used and bred in order to rip apart wild animals or to fight each other.

As for the distinction between "wild" dog species and Canis familiaris of which various bully breeds are still members regardless what intended uses and attributes breeders select for, you might find this article interesting:

https://vetmed.tamu.edu/news/pet-tal...and-wild-pets/

Old 09-15-2023, 05:13 PM

19,811 posts, read 22,703,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Ever seen a German shepherd do this?

https://twitter.com/NeedToKnow_NTK/s...46766345699331
Traits like that are bred in, and GSD's are not bred to maul. Bite and hold for a PD dog- yes, but not maul. If protecting livestock? Yes they would attempt to kill a predator.

I've seen dogs like this bully xl back in WV, in fact roaming numbers of them even on my property. No collars- just junk dogs owned by trash. The rule was SSS. We treated them like vermin.

Old 09-16-2023, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post

As for the distinction between "wild" dog species and Canis familiaris of which various bully breeds are still members regardless what intended uses and attributes breeders select for, you might find this article interesting:

https://vetmed.tamu.edu/news/pet-tal...and-wild-pets/
I am only stating that the attributes bread in to these dogs from their wild ancestors are unique, and this is why they are being banned following consultation with numerous experts from the scientific, medical, law enforcement and other such fields.

This one breed which accounts for numbers in the thousands and far less than even 1% of all owned dogs across the UK, has been responsible for over 44% and 60% of all serious dog attacks in the UK over the last few years, as well as the majority of dog related injuries that resulted in deaths, and within the last few years over 12 people have been mauled to death in the UK by this one breed alone (including a number of children), the last death being only days ago.

Man killed in Stonnall American bully XL attack named - BBC News (15th September 2023)

Whilst as already explained, the UK has laws relating to responsible ownership and significant penalties for allowing your dog to be out of control in public and there is only so much that can be done, whilst in terms of overall bans, this will only be the fifth breed that the UK has banned, which is far less than many countries.

You can find a guide to national and US local/state bans in the link below -

Breed Specific Legislation - Wikipedia

Whilst no ban is ever fully effective, evidence suggests that making a breed illegal will vastly reduce numbers and will allow special police and animal control units to have more effective backing in terms of legislation and powers.

Dog behaviourial expert Stan Rawlinson stated that - "This breed is a whole different ball game. The XL bully to my knowledge is probably the most dangerous dog breed or cross-breed I've ever seen. "It's hyper-reactive. It has an enhanced prey drive and a reactivity that is totally off the scale."

Whilst surgeons and other medical experts have also called for the breed to be banned.

'There is no doubt Bully XLs should be banned': Top plastic surgeon says his clinic is treating TWO people a week for dog bites in 'unrelenting flow' of attacks that are inflicting 'devastating' injuries to victims - Daily Mail (12th September 2023)

If we don't crack down on these savage Frankenstein XL Bully dogs AND their owners then more people will die, writes canine behavioural expert Stan Rawlinson - Daily Mail (11th September 2023)

I’m a dog expert – would you let someone walk down street with a mountain lion? The XL Bully is just as dangerous - The Sun (11th September 2023)

Why XL Bully dogs are 'killing machines' - genetics, reckless breeding, twisted purpose - Daily Mirror (15th September 2023)

Within the first six months of this year, London's Metropolitan police had been forced to seize over 44 American bullies, which is also almost three times the next most common breed, the Staffordshire bull terrier crossbreed, of which 16 have been seized. In 2018 and 2019, no American bullies were taken by the Metropolitan Police demonstrating the sheer impact this new breed has had.

Met police dealing with at least one dangerous dog a day, figures show - The Guardian (4th June 2023)

The breed is not worth the life of one more adult never mind a child, and it's use as an accessory by violent individuals and organised crime is repulsive, as is it's use in dog fighting.

The ban is also for the breeds own good, as the lives these dogs lead will often be miserable, with many sustaining terrible injuries through dog fighting and other activities, and such breeds have also inflicted terrible injuries or mauled to death other peoples pet dogs, whilst the authorities are having to seize ever more of this breed, and no doubt the police and farmers would have to shoot dead an increasing number, if a ban were not put in place.

In this respect a ban makes perfect sense, and is why the UK Prime Minister announced yesterday that a ban will now be put in place in relation to the Bully XL as soon as possible, with a date of by the end of the year suggested.

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-16-2023 at 05:58 AM..

Old 09-16-2023, 05:21 AM
Status: "Hello Darlin, Nice to see you - Conway Twitty" (set 16 days ago)

791 posts, read 377,663 times
Quote:
What I don't understand is why the constant need to produce ever larger and more aggressive breeds.

Why not just buy a traditional British breed such as a normal traditional English Bulldog or a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, English Bull Terrier, English Mastiff etc.
Shortened the quote up from your post a bit, hope you do not mind.

Many modern breeds were bred with function in mind which differentiates the classes we have within the various kennel clubs. The UK started most of this though, lol. Take the Bull Mastiff, even people in the UK wanted the power and strength of the English Mastiff but more agile for specific scenarios so people tried to dial that in. Some large aggressive breeds have been around for centuries but during the 1900's there was also this push to create 'national breeds' for identity purposes whereby countries wanted to emulate the UK with their own nationally recognized variant generally using the English Mastiff or bully breeds as the base and infusing with local breeds. So now you have the Neapolitan Mastiff (Italy), Dogue de Bordeaux (France), Dogo Canario (Spain), etc.

From there breeders pushed to make their breed functionally or visually distinct even further each with a story. The Argentine Dogo for example can serve as a guard dog however it was bred primarly with a focus on wild boar hunting. Interestingly they used what was called the fighting dog of cordoba in the breed which is now extinct because it would rather fight than mate. That is the legend, not sure how much validity there is to that but interesting nonetheless.

The Fila which has morphed from a dog that was claimed to be used to track and hold runaway slaves now functions as an estate guardian which is why I owned them. It does not require training to guard, does not require substantial exercise, etc. True to the name, the fila will hold - it will corner you and if you do not run or come at it in many cases it will stay that way until the owner comes to get you or it. This was more appealing to me than a dog that would outright just attack.

You even have breeds like the Japanese Tosa that they use for a dog form of sumo wrestling - lol.

As for true fighting dogs, they were bred for that and even thought dog fighting and bull baiting is outlawed in most countries people still want to pursue functional excellence and so we have dogs that excel at this that fall into the wrong hands and will fight anything, not just other dogs. I suppose you can ban breeding or enhancing dogs along this line but as others have said, at this point many are just traits and the label assigned to the breed can easily change and they will say it is a guard dog or a hunting dog or something.

I will say though, some of the bully breed dogs I have encountered do have a switch - like a crazy machine that will not stop. They used to call it the switch years ago in pitbulls where they can go from normal to fight to the death mode instantly.

Sorry for the long post - just a topic I am really interested in.

Old 09-16-2023, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSLarry View Post
Shortened the quote up from your post a bit, hope you do not mind.

Many modern breeds were bred with function in mind which differentiates the classes we have within the various kennel clubs. The UK started most of this though, lol. Take the Bull Mastiff, even people in the UK wanted the power and strength of the English Mastiff but more agile for specific scenarios so people tried to dial that in. Some large aggressive breeds have been around for centuries but during the 1900's there was also this push to create 'national breeds' for identity purposes whereby countries wanted to emulate the UK with their own nationally recognized variant generally using the English Mastiff or bully breeds as the base and infusing with local breeds. So now you have the Neapolitan Mastiff (Italy), Dogue de Bordeaux (France), Dogo Canario (Spain), etc.

From there breeders pushed to make their breed functionally or visually distinct even further each with a story. The Argentine Dogo for example can serve as a guard dog however it was bred primarly with a focus on wild boar hunting. Interestingly they used what was called the fighting dog of cordoba in the breed which is now extinct because it would rather fight than mate. That is the legend, not sure how much validity there is to that but interesting nonetheless.

The Fila which has morphed from a dog that was claimed to be used to track and hold runaway slaves now functions as an estate guardian which is why I owned them. It does not require training to guard, does not require substantial exercise, etc. True to the name, the fila will hold - it will corner you and if you do not run or come at it in many cases it will stay that way until the owner comes to get you or it. This was more appealing to me than a dog that would outright just attack.

You even have breeds like the Japanese Tosa that they use for a dog form of sumo wrestling - lol.

As for true fighting dogs, they were bred for that and even thought dog fighting and bull baiting is outlawed in most countries people still want to pursue functional excellence and so we have dogs that excel at this that fall into the wrong hands and will fight anything, not just other dogs. I suppose you can ban breeding or enhancing dogs along this line but as others have said, at this point many are just traits and the label assigned to the breed can easily change and they will say it is a guard dog or a hunting dog or something.

I will say though, some of the bully breed dogs I have encountered do have a switch - like a crazy machine that will not stop. They used to call it the switch years ago in pitbulls where they can go from normal to fight to the death mode instantly.

Sorry for the long post - just a topic I am really interested in.

I totally agree with you - as do dog behavioural and those who are left to pick up the pieces in relation to attacks by Bully XL's, and this includes law enforcement as well as medical professionals including surgeons.

The cross breeding of dogs can produce breeds with ever more potential to do serious harm, as well as often having aggressive sides to them, especially in relation to strangers or other dogs, although some of the dogs that have killed children, knew the child.

All dogs generally defend their space and perceived members of their pack, however the unique strength, bite and propensity for aggression in relation to temperament you are right to point out are what sets this breed apart, and this is backed up by the testimony of a diverse number of experts and animal/canine behaviourists.

Old 09-16-2023, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSLarry View Post

That's why every pitbull owner is always shocked when their sweet couch potato kills another dog or a child. The gameness of a fighting breed is just not understood by 99% of people until they see it. To be honest, I wouldn't want to be around a 40kg Jack Russell either.

There is an English staffy I see regularly at my park. He's an intact male, he's a time bomb waiting to go off and the owners are utterly clueless. And the owners put him in a harness which is going to work a treat if they ever have to try and pull him off a dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs