Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2023, 09:55 PM

4,417 posts, read 4,943,144 times

Advertisements

At times it feels like one of the cruelest things the universe did was creating a companion species with a fraction of our lifespan. I know a few people who will never own another dog because losing their best friend was so painful they can't fathom going through that again.

I remember one of the first dog trainers I ever hired and the first thing she taught me was to use hand signals along with verbal commands. She said there were a lot of good reasons on why hand signals are sometimes better, but if I didn't want to believe any of them, I need to accept that someday this puppy was probably going to be old and deaf, and the hand signals may be my only way to communicate. In a way she was probably right, but by the time my dogs got that old they understood everything they needed just by reading my body language.

One time I adopted an older dog. She was an amazing dog but had separation anxiety and had churned through so many families I was her last chance. Fortunately I was able to care for her and her special needs. She kept getting older and older in age but physically and mentally wasn't showing any of it. People couldn't believe how old she was. I used to joke it was like Yoda who was strong because of The Force. It was like once she found her forever home, she also found a way to slow the sands of time from falling through the hourglass. But even if she could slow the grains of sand, she couldn't stop them, and eventually the glass ran out. She went downhill in just a couple of days, and one morning she couldn't get up. I knew it was time, and we made the appointment at the vet. I carried her out to the car and put her inside, and she laid down and passed away. I was trying to give her the ultimate gift of assuaging her suffering, and she gave me the even greater gift of not having to do it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2023, 10:25 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,879,539 times
OP, I am so sorry that you are going through this awful time with Wyatt.

We are going through a similar situation with our lab, almost 14 now. It's so hard to see them going downhill and (it seems sometimes) hurting, and knowing that we are limited as to what we can do; besides showing them that we love them and give them the very best care that we can. Trying our best not to let them suffer and make them feel safe and comfortable. It sure does hurt sometimes, to love them so very much.

Old 09-18-2023, 10:41 AM

1,688 posts, read 3,965,944 times
Smoke,

I am sorry you're going thru this. I am too. Bratdog is now 14 and losing his sight and hearing (thought I still think this part is a little ignoring me!) He's scared the bejeezus out of me several mornings, by not jumping up and coming over for a snuggle.. I've had to shake him awake a couple of times... I've always said he's going to live his best life comfortably, until he can't.

My biggest fear is how Goofy Girl will react. They've never been play buddies, she tries, but Bd isn't a play dog. Probably my fault, i never pushed him to chase balls or play tug, he's more content with a carry around & squeak toy. I've noticed many ways he's declining and when he has his next Vet appointment, I'll have that talk with the Vet. praying he goes painlessly in his sleep.

Smoke, Wyatt has had a terrific life, and when the inevitable happens, you can rest assured, he knows he's loved.

Old 09-18-2023, 12:56 PM

7,155 posts, read 4,877,778 times
Oh this thread is sad. I’m seeing some decline in my Vito, too. He is around 12-12.5. Having quite a bit of difficulty with his old hips.

But I’ve been reading about Wyatt McRiot and Chaos for years now, I feel like we are old friends.

I’m sorry we are all going through all of this. Hugs all around.

Old 09-18-2023, 03:40 PM

19,888 posts, read 22,809,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
This is the part of owning a dog that isn't any fun. Wyatt McRiot is getting old. He is going deaf. He is stumbling and sometimes falling when he tries to jump. Yesterday, he jumped up onto the back porch and fell.

He will have the best food, the best care, the best vets, but nothing stops aging.

His mind is still bright. His vision is still good, which helps, because after not too much more hearing loss, I will still be able to signal to him with a flashlight at night. Hand signals during the day, flashlight at night. Right now, he can still hear shouting, but it won't be long before that is gone.

For the big annual fishing trip, my son is borrowing my travel trailer because Wyatt can no longer get in or out of his camper. This two week camping trip is the highlight of Wyatt's life, so his growing weakness is being accommodated for the best as can be done. It would break his heart to be left at home when the camping gear comes out. No long hikes this year. He will lay on the bank and watch the fishing and sit around the campfire and eat scraps of good food off the people's plates that is snuck to him under the table.

I hate this. I hate watching my brilliant energetic dog fading away and there is nothing I can do to stop it. I can only make sure he is comfortable and that he knows that he is loved.
Yeah this is the part that sucks. My big GSP Schnitzel is pretty banged up and slowing down fast. Arthritis, old age and lameness setting in hard. I'd love to take him on our annual opening pheasant hunt but his drive is still there and I'm afraid us hunting would drive him bonkers. I can't (or shouldn't) let him field run like that anymore. I'll probably go on a few solo trips with him on a check cord in easy fields just to let him be a bird dog. Maybe some light water swimming.

I'm a grown man, not prone to crying but I will have a f'ing break down when he goes. He has always been my #1 hunting partner.

Good luck- enjoy the rest of your time together and love him till the day he's gone and after.

Old 09-20-2023, 05:18 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,266,368 times
Start taking control and Google veterinarians near your home and begin a conversation. An at home ceremony is the only way to go through it. I've put down more than my share of pets and with one I waited too long and I have always regretted not intervening sooner. I was selfish and in denial. Best wishes for Wyatt.

Old 09-21-2023, 02:58 PM

5,098 posts, read 12,612,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Yeah this is the part that sucks. My big GSP Schnitzel is pretty banged up and slowing down fast. Arthritis, old age and lameness setting in hard. I'd love to take him on our annual opening pheasant hunt but his drive is still there and I'm afraid us hunting would drive him bonkers. I can't (or shouldn't) let him field run like that anymore. I'll probably go on a few solo trips with him on a check cord in easy fields just to let him be a bird dog. Maybe some light water swimming.

I'm a grown man, not prone to crying but I will have a f'ing break down when he goes. He has always been my #1 hunting partner.

Good luck- enjoy the rest of your time together and love him till the day he's gone and after.

Threerun, I am glad you are considering taking Schnitzel out on some easier solo trips so he can be a bird dog again as he will love that, and you will love the memories of doing it and seeing him so happy.

Years ago, when Dash as nearing the end of his battle with nasal cancer, I took him and Jazz, who was about 13 and had had a nerve sheath sarcoma removed from the front of her chest to agility practice. We went to just see everyone as he had some issues with breathing at that point. I had no plan of letting either dog run a course due to age and the cancer. As we stood there watching Dash was quivering with excitement and started to whine and look up at me wagging his stump of a tail and soon Jazz joined in. It was so obvious how much they both wanted to run the course, so I gave in and let them both run it once. I went home with two very happy dogs and a great memory of them doing what they both loved one last time.

Old 09-24-2023, 08:34 PM

9,477 posts, read 11,237,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
This is the part of owning a dog that isn't any fun. Wyatt McRiot is getting old. He is going deaf. He is stumbling and sometimes falling when he tries to jump. Yesterday, he jumped up onto the back porch and fell.

He will have the best food, the best care, the best vets, but nothing stops aging.

His mind is still bright. His vision is still good, which helps, because after not too much more hearing loss, I will still be able to signal to him with a flashlight at night. Hand signals during the day, flashlight at night. Right now, he can still hear shouting, but it won't be long before that is gone.

For the big annual fishing trip, my son is borrowing my travel trailer because Wyatt can no longer get in or out of his camper. This two week camping trip is the highlight of Wyatt's life, so his growing weakness is being accommodated for the best as can be done. It would break his heart to be left at home when the camping gear comes out. No long hikes this year. He will lay on the bank and watch the fishing and sit around the campfire and eat scraps of good food off the people's plates that is snuck to him under the table.

I hate this. I hate watching my brilliant energetic dog fading away and there is nothing I can do to stop it. I can only make sure he is comfortable and that he knows that he is loved.
I think you are doing well by your pooch. We love them for better or worse, in sickness and in health. And fortunately they age out before we do, so we can be there for them in the end. To me, that is a great gift to pet and hoomin alike.

I'm glad you're taking Wyatt camping again. Obviously he loves it and he loves being with his hoomins. We do our best, we love our best, eventually we lay them to rest. Sometimes life is tough. But all those years of mutual love make up for it. Thanks for loving your doggie, it sounds like you have a great relationship.

Old 09-24-2023, 11:08 PM

4,491 posts, read 5,000,617 times
Facing this now as well
. Our 11 yr old Shepherd has slowed down. It started 3 weeks ago with pooping in the house and wetting herself in her sleep.
Vet gave her pills to help tighten bladder muscles. She can't go more than 4 hours without peeing herself.
All her labs are normal. She drinks so much more water than before.
For now we've rolled up all the carpets, bought diapers for her at night and while we are out of the house. We've also changed our hours of school and work, so someone is home with her and not left for more than 4 hours alone.
She's our rescued warrior princess.
It's sad to see her age.

Old 09-25-2023, 08:15 PM

9,477 posts, read 11,237,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Facing this now as well
. Our 11 yr old Shepherd has slowed down. It started 3 weeks ago with pooping in the house and wetting herself in her sleep.
Vet gave her pills to help tighten bladder muscles. She can't go more than 4 hours without peeing herself.
All her labs are normal. She drinks so much more water than before.
For now we've rolled up all the carpets, bought diapers for her at night and while we are out of the house. We've also changed our hours of school and work, so someone is home with her and not left for more than 4 hours alone.
She's our rescued warrior princess.
It's sad to see her age.
You are gong Above And Beyond, thank you so much for your love and kindness to your beloved pooch.

Yes, it's sad to see a beloved one decline. OTOH it's good that it's her and not you, because you're there to take care of her and she would not be able to return that favor.

I've promised our eight cats I'll outlive them all, I hope I can keep that promise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs