Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2023, 04:55 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,601,279 times

Advertisements

For any C-D dog owner whose pup has experienced kennel cough or some other respiratory infection. Can you advise what your vet prescribed and how long it took them to recuperate?

I have a ~10 year old Brittany spaniel rescue pup who visited a doggie day care facility. He'd had all of his shots including Bordetella, Parvo and Lepto. A few days later came down with terrible sneezing with very light yellow discharge - at one time it was almost pink. No coughing, but an occasional raspy "huh" sounding noise. No fever.

I took him to the vet 2 days after I noticed symptoms. They first 2 days were so mild I thought he just had allergies. Vet gave him a prescription for Doxycycline (2 tabs daily for 10 days). We're now on day 5.5 and he's a bit better, still sneezing, but not as much. I also have him on Atarax. That seems to help with his sneezing issues.

I called the vet today to give an update and they prescribed Clavamox in addition to the Doxycycline. He's already exhibiting signs of GI distress (loose stool) even after giving Fortiflora pro-biotic so I'm having second thoughts about adding the Clavamox. Anyone have similar instances of this? Have you treated with 2 anti-biotics at the same time? Seems like a bit much to me. Hoping it's not a money grab by the vet as the Rx is VERY expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2023, 04:13 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,690,867 times
I am so sorry you and your DD are going through this. I’ve never dealt with such a situation, I just wanted to say that his GI symptoms don’t surprise me, as the illness + the medication + probiotic is a lot for his body to handle in a short period of time.

I prefer a bland diet (canned pumpkin, white rice and chicken breast) for such situations as opposed to a probiotic.

Old 09-06-2023, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I am so sorry you and your DD are going through this. I’ve never dealt with such a situation, I just wanted to say that his GI symptoms don’t surprise me, as the illness + the medication + probiotic is a lot for his body to handle in a short period of time.

I prefer a bland diet (canned pumpkin, white rice and chicken breast) for such situations as opposed to a probiotic.
Thank you StarlaJane. I have been giving my dog the bland diet of rice, pumpkin and boiled chicken along with Fortiflora. The probiotic was recommended by the vet. He seems to be doing a bit better so I called the vet and told them I am not giving the Clavamox. It might be that due to his senior age he's just taking longer to get better.

Old 09-06-2023, 08:24 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,690,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
Thank you StarlaJane. I have been giving my dog the bland diet of rice, pumpkin and boiled chicken along with Fortiflora. The probiotic was recommended by the vet. He seems to be doing a bit better so I called the vet and told them I am not giving the Clavamox. It might be that due to his senior age he's just taking longer to get better.
I’m glad to hear that he is getting better. I think you made the right decision re: not giving him the Clavamox; that’s a lot for any dog, especially a senior. I would give the infection a week to fully resolve and call the vet again if it doesn’t (or seems like it is getting worse). I think the vet prescribed the second antibiotic to prevent the possible development of pneumonia.

Have you tried putting him in the bathroom with a hot shower running? Steam is a home remedy for a URI (for dogs and people) (:

Old 09-08-2023, 05:10 PM

StarlaJane, thankfully he doesn't have any lung involvement. No coughing. He's still sneezing a bit, but nothing like a week ago.. and he hasn't been doing the "reverse" sneezing in a few days. He's been on doxycycline for 9 days now and have added atarax (anti-histamine) per the vet's suggestion to help with the sneezing. I haven't tried a steam shower although he is pretty dirty and could use a bath. I'll wait a few more days for that. In the meantime he's getting wet wipes.

Old 09-09-2023, 01:39 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,586,673 times
Sneezing that lasts more then a few days would have me thinking things like nasal mites or inhaled foxtail that is now embedded in the sinuses. The Bordetella vaccine does not cover all the strains but when I think Bordetella I think of coughing not sneezing.

I hope your pup feels better soon.

Old 09-09-2023, 07:42 PM

2 posts, read 874 times
I run a dog rescue and the upper respititory illness has been running rampant this year The symptoms you've described are exactly what I've been seeing, including the sneezing and GI issues. This year I've seen more sneezing that coughing actually. Our vet thinks it's a strain of the canine flu. My personal dogs

I've dealt with about 20 cases of it this summer with foster dogs and personal dogs. Most cases take about 2 weeks to completely get over and they are contagious for 2 weeks. Some dogs the symptoms continue a little longer. Your vet is doing exactly what our vet has done and I've seen work - except for the Clavamox. I probably wouldn't have given it to my dog either. It really just takes time for it to pass since it's typically viral. The biggest risk is pnemonia but since your pup is on the doxy that likely won't happen.

Old 09-09-2023, 09:08 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,827,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferg72ncnew View Post
I run a dog rescue and the upper respititory illness has been running rampant this year The symptoms you've described are exactly what I've been seeing, including the sneezing and GI issues. This year I've seen more sneezing that coughing actually. Our vet thinks it's a strain of the canine flu. My personal dogs

I've dealt with about 20 cases of it this summer with foster dogs and personal dogs. Most cases take about 2 weeks to completely get over and they are contagious for 2 weeks. Some dogs the symptoms continue a little longer. Your vet is doing exactly what our vet has done and I've seen work - except for the Clavamox. I probably wouldn't have given it to my dog either. It really just takes time for it to pass since it's typically viral. The biggest risk is pnemonia but since your pup is on the doxy that likely won't happen.
Welcome to the site.

Old 09-10-2023, 07:26 PM

2 posts, read 874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Welcome to the site.
Thank you. I've been a member for years. But couldn't change my password because the email address is not in use so I had to create a new account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs