Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2023, 07:40 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,376,135 times

Advertisements

I thought this past week's blog post was interesting and helpful (especially since we were in fact traveling with our dog when I read it).
https://www.patriciamcconnell.com/th...ling-with-dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2023, 06:24 AM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,643,945 times
I love Patricia McConnell, she's so smart and knows so much. If only I could convince my husband that the dog needs to be restrained in the car (he doesn't like it).

Old 08-10-2023, 03:48 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,553,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB4 View Post
I love Patricia McConnell, she's so smart and knows so much. If only I could convince my husband that the dog needs to be restrained in the car (he doesn't like it).
Maybe he would agree to using one of these? You hook it to their harness, not the collar (if he wears one)

https://www.temu.com/ca/solid-color-...081_y7hd9wx1fj

It's not a crate, but better than using nothing.

Old 08-17-2023, 02:22 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,613,719 times
Kennel training dogs in the car is time well spent. The only problem is the space they take, but again, well worth it.

Old 08-18-2023, 05:56 AM

3,256 posts, read 3,211,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Maybe he would agree to using one of these? You hook it to their harness, not the collar (if he wears one)

https://www.temu.com/ca/solid-color-...081_y7hd9wx1fj

It's not a crate, but better than using nothing.
I use a similar harness with my golden. My husband doesn’t like it but I insist on using it.

We leave our dog alone in the hotel room to grab meals. He is not a barker, and we bring his crate. He is also an intact male like Patricia McConnell’s dog, and like her, I also bring a small roll of paper towels and urine/stain remover, just in case of an accident.

Our dog is a good traveler. He doesn’t get excited about car rides, but he loves being part of the pack and enjoys adventure. We also enjoy traveling with him. He’s family!

Old 08-20-2023, 05:24 PM

10,331 posts, read 6,876,687 times
I will not subject any animal to air travel ever again. It's just stupid the hoops one must jump thru to transport a dog that's well behaved. I'm talking about the horrors of terminals, canceled flights, extra stops on alternate flights, the whole stupid thing. (I'll never fly AA ever again, either.)

Old 08-26-2023, 02:37 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,598,304 times
I had never really enjoyed traveling with my dogs so either board them or hire a pet sitter. That said Chaos and Zephyr just got back from a trip from Central California to the PNW and it went very well.

I dropped Chaos off at my sisters in Portland. She lost her dog earlier this year and because she plans to do some traveling does not plan to get another dog. She loved having Chaos around and Chaos loved all the attention of being an only dog. Since she is older, she tends to get anxious on long car rides so a month before I started giving her daily calming treats which did seem to help. I figured leaving her in Portland would be best for her as not as many days in the car and she is not always nice to young dogs so did not want to risk her frightening the dog in Washington that we were going to help.

Zephyr and I went up to Whidbey Island WA to try to help my other sister and brother-in-law with their new timid rescue dog. We thought having a calm, confident dog around might help her. Joke was on us as they also have two kittens. Zephyr has never seen a cat face to face and the kittens delighted in terrorizing him. I thought he might need to see a psychotherapist when we got home. Finally, the day before we left, he decided not to let them terrify him and started soliciting play from them but due to his style of very fast spins and other fast movements they thought he was a freak. He and their new dog got along but she was too timid to play since Zephyr solicited it with fast spins. One day she did solicit play from him, and he trotted past her ignoring her. " You did not want to play with me when I asked you too, so I am not playing with you." They did enjoy lots of walks together, eating out with us and visiting the beach. We were hoping she would see him interacting with people and decide people can be trusted and aren't so bad.

We also stopped to see an old friend in Eugene OR and spent the night at her home. Her little 16-year-old Yorkie took a real liking to Zephyr. So, they became fast pals.

Both dogs behaved so well, and everyone commented on what well behaved dogs they are. They got to eat out several times, and during the drive stay at a hotel (which due to Zephyr's coursing events they have done before). Even with Zephyr being an intact male we had no accidents. They did both ride in crates but at the hotel they were not crated as I was in the room with them at all times so took meals at places, they could be with me. I do have a sunroof in my SUV and have always opened it if my dogs are in the car when AC is off, like at rest stops. I run in and use the restroom before I get them out to walk them around, or if I run in someplace to pick up food during the drive but I eat it outside with them.

All in all, it was a nice relaxing trip and was more pleasant than I was expecting such a trip with two dogs to be. While I miss our daily walks around Mariner's cove which was so quiet and peaceful, I am glad to be back home.

Old 08-26-2023, 02:41 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,598,304 times
[quote=gouligann;65673999]Maybe he would agree to using one of these? You hook it to their harness, not the collar (if he wears one)

[url="https://www.temu.com/ca/solid-color-2-in-1-pet-car-seat-belt-nylon-lead-leash-backseat-safety-belt-adjustable-for-dog
It's not a crate, but better than using nothing.[/QUOTE]

I had a similar thing years ago when I had a Honda sedan. Jazz would just lay down and go to sleep, but Dash would try moving around and turning around and would end up with the leash part of it tangled around his body or a leg no matter how short I made it then he would cry. So these did not work well with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs