Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2023, 12:08 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times

Advertisements

I'm in a part of interior Southern Calif that is as dry as a bone, which means fleas and mossies can't find a reliable source of water for life support and spawning. Fleas inside one's home have to be introduced into the space, which is what happened to my home of 20 years (formerly flea-free) when I adopted Lolly from a shelter next to a river. This sweet girl didn't come with fleas, but she apparently came with an egg payload. I adopted her on day 28 of her one-month stay of execution back in late March. She just this week started presenting with signs of infestation. Now my 14-year-old senior (Jasmine, also a yellow Lab mix), who has never experienced this, is also showing the signs.

I'm handling the exterior work to reduce this plague. What I need are some suggestions for anything I can safely administer internally to annoy/harm the fleas. Even something that will make their blood not taste so bloody delicious, assuming they can taste it.

Here's my amazingly sweet disease vector soon after joining the pack. (assuming I can remember how to post a pic)

P.S. Some of you may remember my polar bear shar pei mix, Nanners, from years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Something I'm not accustomed to dealing with: FLEAS-photo_2023-04-05_21-50-19.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2023, 12:42 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Years ago I had a flea problem in my home. (Had six dogs and two cats at the time)

This worked for me- "Archer IGR" which is an insect growth regulator. It disrupts the life cycle of fleas and other insects so that they do not reproduce. The company that makes it also has an insecticide you could use in conjunction with Archer. I just went with the IGR.

https://www.amazon.com/Syngenta-3391...7891050&sr=8-1

I have had luck with the capstar pill on infested animals HOWEVER it does nothing to kill the fleas already in the home.

Old 06-27-2023, 02:11 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
For years Frontline or it's generic equivalents was our go-to flea and tick solution, but it's effectiveness has waned over the last 10 years or so.

Our vet gave us Bravecto. It works for about 4 months, which seems to be flea season around here so it's basically a once-a-year treatment. Unless there are other animals for the fleas to breed and feed on they will disappear in the environment soon after giving it to your dog. Our vet is sort of unusual from other vets we've had before. The reasonable price of the annual physical for the dog includes any vaccine boosters, flea meds, heart worm tests, etc so it doesn't cost us anything extra to get rid of the fleas.

Old 06-29-2023, 05:51 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
For years Frontline or it's generic equivalents was our go-to flea and tick solution, but it's effectiveness has waned over the last 10 years or so.

Our vet gave us Bravecto. It works for about 4 months, which seems to be flea season around here so it's basically a once-a-year treatment. Unless there are other animals for the fleas to breed and feed on they will disappear in the environment soon after giving it to your dog. Our vet is sort of unusual from other vets we've had before. The reasonable price of the annual physical for the dog includes any vaccine boosters, flea meds, heart worm tests, etc so it doesn't cost us anything extra to get rid of the fleas.

Outstanding! Better hope he/she doesn't sell out out to a corporate group. We have a good one now as well... but too much experience with the others.

Old 07-01-2023, 04:02 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
We tried Seresto on our two dogs. They were bringing fleas in the house and we couldn't find anything to kill them. Within a few days of them wearing the Seresto collars, we had no more fleas in the house.

Old 07-02-2023, 09:33 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
How does wearing a flea collar of any type kill fleas in the house, not on the dog? Once fleas get in they normally get into carpets, any cracks in floors, furniture and so on.

Last summer I had some fleas in the house even though my cat is on flea meds and never steps outside. Every time I checked her she was flea free.

Old 07-03-2023, 11:13 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
How does wearing a flea collar of any type kill fleas in the house, not on the dog? Once fleas get in they normally get into carpets, any cracks in floors, furniture and so on.

Last summer I had some fleas in the house even though my cat is on flea meds and never steps outside. Every time I checked her she was flea free.
Fleas need a food source. If they are dining on your pets then making the pets free of fleas breaks the life cycle. If your animals are flea-free and there are still fleas in then environment, then there must be another host. They might be outside the home. Rats are common flea vectors.

Old 07-05-2023, 07:59 AM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Hate to say this but fleas can feed off the humans in a house. Just putting a flea collar on the dog will not get rid of the fleas in your house. I suggest the "Archer" IGR to get rid of the fleas along with a treatment for the dog as well.

Old 07-06-2023, 07:42 PM

32,920 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Hate to say this but fleas can feed off the humans in a house. Just putting a flea collar on the dog will not get rid of the fleas in your house. I suggest the "Archer" IGR to get rid of the fleas along with a treatment for the dog as well.
Yeah. Thirty years ago I wore knee high socks around the house with too much wall to wall for a couple of days until the exterminator could get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs