Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2023, 06:18 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,948,976 times

Advertisements

My dog ate a sock three days ago. I didn't see it happen, but was putting away laundry and couldn't locate one of my husband's socks and because this has happened before, I was concerned that my dog ate it.

For the next three days she ate, played hard with her sister, pooped and seemed completely normal except i did see some evidence of throw up in her crate one morning.

Then today - three days after the sock went missing - she threw it up! How does this happen? How can she eat and poop and yet harbor a full size man's sock for three days.

Don't worry - I have a new laundry system (a basket, not just my arms) to avoid dropping socks and tempting my sock eater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2023, 07:45 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,127,592 times
I'm so glad the sock made an appearance...they can surely cause a blockage in some cases.

Old 05-09-2023, 08:30 PM

2,712 posts, read 1,213,772 times
You and your dog were lucky it didn't get stuck and require surgery to remove it. Fortunately it didn't get digested and go through to crap out. Your dog crapped out what was already in the colon so that explains why.

Yes please do change how you do laundry. Perhaps a laundry basket with close top and on wheels so you can easily wheel it to the washer.

BTW if your dog or even a cat ever eats thread or anything like thread never ever pull it. Just hold in place and snip with scissors up against the rectum. If you pull it out it will kill them especially small cats. It will be wrapped around the intestines so please never ever pull it.

Last edited by staystill; 05-09-2023 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: last paragraph

Old 05-10-2023, 07:12 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,379,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
BTW if your dog or even a cat ever eats thread or anything like thread never ever pull it. Just hold in place and snip with scissors up against the rectum. If you pull it out it will kill them especially small cats. It will be wrapped around the intestines so please never ever pull it.

Wow. Scary but excellent information. Thank you.

Old 05-10-2023, 11:26 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,364,204 times
Washers also eat small items like socks! During the spin cycle they get tossed over the rim & down the drain where they can stop up the lines.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...7&gclsrc=3p.ds

Old 05-10-2023, 06:58 PM

2,712 posts, read 1,213,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Washers also eat small items like socks! During the spin cycle they get tossed over the rim & down the drain where they can stop up the lines.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...7&gclsrc=3p.ds
My old washer that had the impellar agitator in the center, the worst kind, and that darn thing had a space at the bottom between the agitator and the base it was connected to. My bra got stuck one day and I had to cut the straps to get it out. I used a mesh bag for intimates after that. As if that was not enough it cut and ripped so many of my clothes and towels. Now I have the kind with no agitator and everything comes out like a tied up pretzel but my clothes don't get stuck or ripped.

My little 5 month old kitten furgirl one day got a piece of the small towel that got ripped and she was literally choking on it. I quick pulled it out of her mouth before she could swall it all and digest it. Had I not seen this happening to her she could have either choked or it could have gotten tied around her little intestines and killed her or she would have maybe been lucky enough to poop it out. I'm so glad I knew what to do and how to act quick. Had she tried to poop it out in a long one piece I knew be watchful and cut it as close to her bottom as I could. That way she wouldn't accidently pull it herself and kill herself.

Old 05-10-2023, 09:51 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,364,204 times
Those Cloth bags the Sheet set come in Work Great also.

Old 05-13-2023, 06:53 AM

1,218 posts, read 635,275 times
Years ago I had a doberman that would find my 1st husband's socks and she swallowed 1 or 2 (not at the same time). I got scared and called the vet would told me to take hydrogen peroxide and mix it with water. She drank it and within 30 minutes threw up the sock.

I did my best to hide socks from her ever since.

Old 06-09-2023, 08:27 PM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,646,738 times
My friend's dog loved socks and ate a few. She ended up paying thousands to have them removed, so be careful.

Old 06-11-2023, 12:38 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,457,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio60 View Post
Years ago I had a doberman that would find my 1st husband's socks and she swallowed 1 or 2 (not at the same time). I got scared and called the vet would told me to take hydrogen peroxide and mix it with water. She drank it and within 30 minutes threw up the sock.

I did my best to hide socks from her ever since.

Did your dog drink the hydrogen peroxide/water mix of their own accord, or did you have to squirt it in somehow?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs