Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2023, 08:21 AM

11,768 posts, read 5,781,921 times

Advertisements

OP here - we have an appt at 12:15. What's hard is that he's happy to see me and get his treats but he almost face planted again jumping down 2 steps last night to go out and struggled to get up them to come back in. Then while cleaning his ears - he collapsed down on the floor and couldn't move. Tried getting a rug under him so he could get his footing and tried to help him up but he almost bit my DH. I can imagine hat it will be like getting him in and out of the SUV just to get him to the vet.

I so wish they could talk to you and let you know how they feel. Keep Gunner in your prayers please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2023, 08:52 AM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceira View Post
It's hard isn't it?

In exactly 1 hour from now I will be at the vet's office having my 15.5 y.o. poodle euthanized. She has a whole range of issues; bone cancer in one leg, dementia, cataracts, deafness. It's taken me weeks to make the terrible decision to let her go, but I finally had to acknowledge that she will never get better, only worse and it's not fair to her. She's not in pain thanks to heavy medication but she's just not enjoying life anymore.

She limps around the house in circles, gets lost, stares at the wall and like your dog, collapses on the floor and has to be carried just about everywhere. Another thing, she's lost her previous voracious appetite and has to be hand fed.

It all comes down to quality of life I guess. I can't tell you what you should do, but I'd hazard a guess that by asking the question here, you probably know the answer. I'm really sorry and wish you luck.
Pretty much the same for me with several dogs over my life. The worst for me was trying to hold out hope they will get better and making them suffer longer than they should have.

Old 05-09-2023, 09:56 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,045,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
OP here - we have an appt at 12:15. What's hard is that he's happy to see me and get his treats but he almost face planted again jumping down 2 steps last night to go out and struggled to get up them to come back in. Then while cleaning his ears - he collapsed down on the floor and couldn't move. Tried getting a rug under him so he could get his footing and tried to help him up but he almost bit my DH. I can imagine hat it will be like getting him in and out of the SUV just to get him to the vet.

I so wish they could talk to you and let you know how they feel. Keep Gunner in your prayers please!
We usually have the vet come out to the car in the parking lot, avoiding the stress of going into the clinic and waiting.

So sorry that you are going through this. I think everyone reading this has probably been in your shoes at one time or another. We've been through this several times... it never gets easier.

Old 05-09-2023, 12:54 PM

11,768 posts, read 5,781,921 times
Well our fur baby has gone to rest - he ended up collapsing on the floor when the vet came into the room and they agreed it was time. I thank all of you for your support and opinions - you don't know how much they helped. Gunner was a rescue and had 12 1/2 yrs of a loving family. He was a dickens and I'd call him my devil dog as he got into so much mischief but he'll be missed.

Thanks again for the support!

Old 05-09-2023, 03:21 PM

946 posts, read 774,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
We usually have the vet come out to the car in the parking lot, avoiding the stress of going into the clinic and waiting.

So sorry that you are going through this. I think everyone reading this has probably been in your shoes at one time or another. We've been through this several times... it never gets easier.
It's so interesting to see you say this. Because when I had to have my 12 year old put down several years ago, I did a lot to prepare and get ready emotionally. But the experience inside the vet office was absolutely horrible. And they made it that way. It absolutely killed me. Don't even like to think about it now.

Very good advice to all. Have them come to the car.

Old 05-09-2023, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Well our fur baby has gone to rest - he ended up collapsing on the floor when the vet came into the room and they agreed it was time. I thank all of you for your support and opinions - you don't know how much they helped. Gunner was a rescue and had 12 1/2 yrs of a loving family. He was a dickens and I'd call him my devil dog as he got into so much mischief but he'll be missed.

Thinking about your loss. Hope all goes well with your new home.

Old 05-09-2023, 03:28 PM

I just wanted to post one other comment:

Don't underestimate getting scans once your dog gets older. I'm not a vet, but when I found out my dog had a tumor the size of a softball in her spleen it was really a shock and a surprise. Because in general she seemed fine. In retrospect, I have to wonder how long it had been growing?

My current best friend just turned five. I'm pretty sure that I will have them do a scan on her in July. If anything is there we need to know. Because they can't tell you, of course.

Old 05-09-2023, 03:37 PM

37,099 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
It's so interesting to see you say this. Because when I had to have my 12 year old put down several years ago, I did a lot to prepare and get ready emotionally. But the experience inside the vet office was absolutely horrible. And they made it that way. It absolutely killed me. Don't even like to think about it now.

Very good advice to all. Have them come to the car.
My experience was different. The vet was kind and sympathetic. The practice lights a candle in the waiting room to let other clients know a pet is being euthanized. The experience was awful because of what it was, not because of the vet.

Old 05-09-2023, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
My experience was different. The vet was kind and sympathetic. The practice lights a candle in the waiting room to let other clients know a pet is being euthanized. The experience was awful because of what it was, not because of the vet.
That is nice. All I can say is that it was completely different for me.

Old 05-09-2023, 03:56 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:

I'm so sorry for your loss but I'm glad that you were able to be right there with Gunner to soothe and comfort him. It's a gut wrenching decision to make but it was one made out of love. Take care and be gentle with yourself in the coming days and weeks ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs