Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2023, 11:00 AM

439 posts, read 958,145 times

Advertisements

Hi..
Have been trying to research effects of toxicity of Copper Slag as an option for artifical grass infill. It appears alot of turf companies here in Arizona are using this. There are other more natural pet options however they are greatly up charged.

Both companies I have contacted swear this stuff is non toxic for pets. Sand is out as it has silica which is toxic.

Any info appreciated.

Jin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2023, 02:01 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudydog1 View Post
Hi..

Both companies I have contacted swear this stuff is non toxic for pets. Sand is out as it has silica which is toxic.
Naturally occurring silica is ubiquitous in the environment! Your dog is exposed to it in multiple forms day in, day out, especially while outdoors. So are you BTW. Silica makes up something like 95% of the earth's crust. Copper slag (which varies in its mineral composition) also contains varying amounts of ...wait for it...silica at least according to the MSDS. Just one for one product:

https://arizonaturfdepot.com/wp-cont...Data-Sheet.pdf

Unless your dog works in the mining industry and inhales concentrated silica dust 8 hours a day for more than 10 years I'd worry about more important things. Perspective matters.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-14-2023 at 02:48 PM..

Old 04-14-2023, 02:41 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Thanks for bringing up this product as it was totally new to me. So I did a websearch and it is claimed to be completely non toxic to pets and children. Apparently it is heavy enough for particles to fall deep into the artificial turf, and while there it is antibacterial and helps get rid of odors from pet pee, etc.

You can also try a search "copper slag in turfgrass".

Old 04-15-2023, 08:05 AM

439 posts, read 958,145 times

Unless your dog works in the mining industry and inhales concentrated silica dust 8 hours a day for more than 10 years I'd worry about more important things. Perspective matters.[/quote]

Thank you for your informative reply. Back when Round-Up was never questioned as a toxic health substance, still used heavily today but is a killer of more than just weeds. My dogs would have daily exposure at nose level therefore I am being very deligent in finding out what the longer term hazzards could possibly be, if any. Turf companies I have chatted with do not have any info accept copper by product. Bottom line the whole idea of "fake" grass is nothiing more than one big piece of plastic anyway.

Old 04-15-2023, 08:51 AM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,260 times
Quote:
. . .

Thank you for your informative reply. Back when Round-Up was never questioned as a toxic health substance, still used heavily today but is a killer of more than just weeds. My dogs would have daily exposure at nose level therefore I am being very deligent in finding out what the longer term hazzards could possibly be, if any. Turf companies I have chatted with do not have any info accept copper by product. Bottom line the whole idea of "fake" grass is nothiing more than one big piece of plastic anyway.
Myself, I would be EXTREMELY skeptical of any claims of slag being benign. What OTHER heavy metals or STUFF is in it? Slag is not exactly known as a good growth medium, eh? Sounds to me like somebody is trying to make a buck, and willing to ignore "page 2" while they were at it. Nothing wrong with making a buck. Plenty wrong with ignoring the other side of the story.

OTOH! SAND, ffs. Sand is everywhere. If sand were toxic, we'd have millions of sick and dying dogs and people who are currently living in beach communities. Doesn't even have to be an ocean coast! Lots of sand beaches on the lakes around where I am (inland)! If sand is toxic, I'm dead. Oh! Hello from the afterworld!

Edit, I forgot - you're in Arizona, right? How can you AVOID sand, then?

Old 04-15-2023, 01:53 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudydog1 View Post
I wasn't attempting to make any statements about turf...either artificial or natural. The only reason I included that link was because it included an MSDS about silica. I was trying to suggest that your fear of silica is way overblown. Even if you could eliminate all forms of it (dirt, sand, gravel, dust) from your property by laying down artificial turf and copper slag, your dogs would be exposed to silica every time they placed a paw or nose anywhere else. They have and will continue to be exposed to it their entire lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs