Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2023, 04:44 PM

10,363 posts, read 6,918,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahann25 View Post

Nasty much? She’s concerned about the puppy. Obviously, you’re more concerned about viciously attacking people that care about puppies than the puppy. I’m glad she has the courage to speak out against perceived animal cruelty. It’s much better than turning a blind eye.

It’s not a rescue, it’s a breeding facility in the Philippines. Many dogs on raw meat diets get sick. Just because they’re dogs doesn’t mean they can eat raw meat safely.

I cook my dog’s food. I also give them fresh, raw veggies after I wash them.
She is exactly as you've described. The "ignore" feature works wonders in her case.

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 04-23-2023 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: meh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2023, 03:19 PM

50,416 posts, read 64,172,963 times
A feral dog would eat nothing but raw meat. That doesn’t mean it wouldn’t die of parasites eventually. What is the point of feeding raw meat in a domesticated environment?

My dog used to drag home rotted deer parts when we lived in the country, and he thought it was super delicious. He also enjoyed the occasional dirty diaper from the neighbors trash. That doesn’t mean it was good for him.

Old 04-28-2023, 11:05 AM

32,685 posts, read 48,227,692 times
I'm not going to watch the video, so have no comment about the owner of the puppy, but it is perfectly OK to fed dogs raw meat and raw offal. Many dogs, all around the world are fed a raw diet and they are healthy and they look really good with good coats and good muscle tone.

Raw meat is actually the natural diet of dogs and canines. I don't feed my own dogs raw meat except for meat I have raised and processed at home, but I have no reason to think it is a bad idea.

I know a lot of people who have expensive, well bred, show dogs who feed their dogs a raw diet and the dogs are thriving. Those people are not going to take any chances with those dogs and those dogs are not disposable pets like too many dogs and cats who belong to the general public.

Old 04-28-2023, 11:06 AM

32,685 posts, read 48,227,692 times
Adding this: a raw diet of meat is not a cheap way to feed a dog, so nobody is doing it to save money. You save money on dog food by feeding Old Roy, not by feeding fresh meat.

Old 05-03-2023, 08:53 PM

5,098 posts, read 12,606,634 times
I raw feed my dogs. Zephyr has been raw fed since he was a little puppy. My dogs are healthy have very healthy skin and coats too. I have had more GI issues with dogs that were fed kibble than I have had with raw fed dogs. Most kibbles are extremely high in carbs and people that think eating kibble helps keep teeth clean should know most of that plaque is from those carbs. Dogs really do not need all those carbs.

When I had my dogs in for some routine thing like their rabies shots or yearly exam and had to see one of my vets partners, she complimented me on the health of my dogs and what beautiful skin and coats they had. I made the mistake of mentioning they were raw fed and she freaked out big time. I found it quite funny that she was impressed with their overall health and skin health then tells me I can not feed raw. I thanked her for her opinion, then told her their diet was not open for a discussion as it is my choice not hers.

She then said well YOU can get sick from them eating raw, as if I do not have raw meet in my kitchen before I cook it for human consumptio?. I guess it is a risk I am willing to take. And as oregonwoodsmoke said it is not cheap to feed raw, but I feel I save money in the long run on vet care.

No one has to agree with raw feeding as everyone is entitled to their opinion on how to feed their own dogs.

Interesting side note I live in an area that pretty much has fleas most of the year yet for many years now my dogs have not had fleas and do not get flea preventatives. They go on lots of wilderness walks and to parks where they could pick them up yet they remain flea free. I am thinking perhaps it does have something to do with their diet. That same vet visit the vet commented on how nice it was to see dogs without fleas and asked which preventive I used. I said none and her reply was well you need to get them on one. I told her if they start to get fleas I will put them on something but being they have not had fleas for years I do not see where it is needed at this point. I so prefer my regular vet to any of his partners and there is talk he may be retiring soon, Which I do not want to hear!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs