Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2023, 02:31 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,093,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
So, he is approaching age 19. I have taken excellent care of him and love him a lot. But, now he has to pee so often. I let him out at least 7-8 x a day, and about 3AM he has to go again. This is a hardship for me, since I have bad rheumatoid arthritis and need my sleep. He wears a diaper at night and I have to get up, take it off and let him out. We are going to the vet soon to see if he might have an infection, but I think not. I think it's old age. What else can I do? Does anyone else have this problem? He is a bichon/poo and the love of my life.
I would ask a vet for help. There are anti diuretic medications that are prescribed for humans who wet at night and they can be prescribed "off label" for pets.
My dog was recently diagnosed with Central Diabetes Insipidus because he lost the regulation of water intake and balance. This drug ( Desmopressin Acetate) cut his urination frequency and volume by about 75%. He never actually peed in the house but would wake me up to take him out 3 or 4 times a night. He now goes 8 hours without having to go out again with no problem.
Not sure if this would be appropriate in your situation but worth asking a vet about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs