Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2023, 12:28 PM

22,403 posts, read 29,522,524 times

Advertisements

Here we are, almost a month later. I took the dog to the vet to have a professional tell the bf it's time to let him go. That was on 3/4. Bill was $700 for bloodwork, x-rays and radiographs. He has cancer, liver and spleen tumors, enlarged heart and a severe spine issue which I'm assuming is from the major surgery he had when he was paralyzed. There's also fluid in his lungs. He is breathing from his abdomen because his organs are being pushed together by the tumors. The dog has since had two accidents in the bed while we were sleeping. We were woken up by the smell.

We have argued and argued over this since the vet appointment. Today, the dog is extremely lethargic and doesn't even respond when I call his name. He's in a total daze.

The bf is at work. I called the vet to make the appointment to put him down this afternoon. I sent the bf several videos of how he is acting to prove what I'm saying. His response was "Can't we wait until next Wednesday?" (That was the date we agreed on after WW 85 happened this Saturday night over this after the second accident in bed) I told him NO enough is enough already!!!!!!

He doesn't understand that just because he was "ok" this morning that it can't take a severe turn for the worse hours later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2023, 04:52 PM

3,751 posts, read 12,422,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Here we are, almost a month later. I took the dog to the vet to have a professional tell the bf it's time to let him go. That was on 3/4. Bill was $700 for bloodwork, x-rays and radiographs. He has cancer, liver and spleen tumors, enlarged heart and a severe spine issue which I'm assuming is from the major surgery he had when he was paralyzed. There's also fluid in his lungs. He is breathing from his abdomen because his organs are being pushed together by the tumors. The dog has since had two accidents in the bed while we were sleeping. We were woken up by the smell.

We have argued and argued over this since the vet appointment. Today, the dog is extremely lethargic and doesn't even respond when I call his name. He's in a total daze.

The bf is at work. I called the vet to make the appointment to put him down this afternoon. I sent the bf several videos of how he is acting to prove what I'm saying. His response was "Can't we wait until next Wednesday?" (That was the date we agreed on after WW 85 happened this Saturday night over this after the second accident in bed) I told him NO enough is enough already!!!!!!

He doesn't understand that just because he was "ok" this morning that it can't take a severe turn for the worse hours later.
It is not easy but saying goodbye and putting an end to our pets suffering is the final kindness we can do for them. I hope you followed through and took your dog to the vet today.

Old 03-29-2023, 04:57 PM

14,559 posts, read 12,219,609 times
I sympathize <3 Peace to you, the dog, and your boyfriend. Try to go easy on him too... it's never easy.

Old 03-29-2023, 05:18 PM

4,239 posts, read 4,910,841 times
Sorry to hear you are going through that, himain. It's the strength of the bond we form with our dogs that's the reason when it's time to go we put our friend first. It's always difficult, but it's right.

Old 03-29-2023, 06:23 PM

55 posts, read 30,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
This past Sunday our 15-year-old Chinster, diagnosed with kidney disease three years ago, had a weird surge of wellness. He made it out the pet door, something he hadn't done in months, walked around, showed a lot of interest in the world and appeared quite well. Six hours later he began to have seizures and screamed in pain. We made an emergency call to the vet and he was put to sleep.

It's horrible-horrible-horrible, but if the dog appears to be failing, sometimes you have to make the decision to let them go. That's what we kept telling ourselves about Hanshi: he had a decent appetite, made every effort to be as normal as the other dogs by coming to the door and greet us, but he was failing in increments. We just didn't know if it was time until it was past time.

Old 03-30-2023, 08:07 AM

22,403 posts, read 29,522,524 times
He's gone. The bf and dog sitter were there with him. I stayed at home. I'm glad it's over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs