Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2023, 11:15 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,861,614 times

Advertisements

Our lab is 13 years old. We were recently advised to put her on pain meds for arthritis, which we started a couple of months ago. Now she has started counter-surfing and pitching over garbage cans right in front of us! She hadn't been doing this at all for a very long time, and then only when we weren't around. Has anyone else had this experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2023, 11:40 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,370,556 times
There is doggy dementia, also called canine cognitive dysfunction, and there are threads on this forum that you can look through for more information about it. I've had a dog with CCD and her symptoms were not like your dog's symptoms -- more like pacing, standing and staring at apparently-nothing, and barking (also at apparently-nothing). Some other dogs also start going to the bathroom indoors though they've been impeccably housetrained throughout their adult lives.

I'm wondering if there's something else going on with your Lab. What meds is she on for the arthritis and do side-effects for those meds include either appetite stimulation or some sort of reduced inhibitions? Maybe as your vet about this.

Old 03-28-2023, 12:36 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I've had several old dogs with canine dementia but they didn't do as OP's dog did. She sounds more activated than demented. Maybe he pain meds are activating her? Best wishes.

Old 03-28-2023, 01:02 PM

Good point, maybe the Deramaxx is stimulating her appetite, but it sure is reducing inhibitions! Otherwise she is acting normal.The medication is basically an nsaid for dogs. Sure is out of character for her.

Old 03-28-2023, 01:45 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
Good point, maybe the Deramaxx is stimulating her appetite, but it sure is reducing inhibitions! Otherwise she is acting normal.The medication is basically an nsaid for dogs. Sure is out of character for her.
It may not be a matter of "reducing her inhibitions" per se but allowing her to resume actions she might have exhibited as a much younger pain free dog; "puppyish". So many dogs are stoic. Constant low intensity pain makes a dog more sedate in subtle ways once it becomes the norm. They learn to be cautious in order to avoid it. Pain also suppresses appetite. She may have been in pain for a lot longer than you previously realized but now feels somewhat liberated. People talk about medications giving someone a new lease on life...maybe hers is establishing a new normal?

FWIW, none of this sounds like canine dementia.

Old 03-28-2023, 05:20 PM

Right. The reason I thought about dementia is that she NEVER used to counter surf or raid garbage baskets, or pull down the kleenex box and chew up the box (for some reason she loves Kleenex boxes, leaving just the tissues) right while we were in the room. She used to be very sneaky and waited until we weren't around. Anyway, I am certainly glad that she is feeling better.
Thanks for the responses, people!

Old 03-29-2023, 08:15 AM

631 posts, read 398,554 times
I looked up the side effects of Deramaxx and one of them is changes in behaviour.

https://www.innovetpet.com/blogs/med...fects#anchor10

My 15 y.o. has dementia with symptoms that match what Gemini 1963 indicated, so it doesn't sound like your dog has that at all.

There's a new "miracle drug" for arthritis called Librela but I'm not sure if it's approved in the US (it is in Canada). It's a monthly injection that apparently has had amazing success in Europe.

http://https://www.vetdispense.co.uk...brela-for-dogs

Old 03-29-2023, 10:46 AM

3,373 posts, read 1,962,433 times
^^^ One of our old guys is on a monthly injection of Adequan. The change in him is amazing! With the shot he's now able to lift his leg high up in the air to pee (that must be such an ego boost for him : ) whereas before he had to squat.

OP, I agree with others who have posted that it doesn't sound like canine dementia (and I've had two dogs who actually had it) but as with all health questions, please seek the advice of your vet. Any significant changes in behavior with new medication is worth a chat with the doc. Our vet is happy to take phone calls and answer emails. She's an absolute angel on earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs