Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2023, 12:37 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,595,662 times

Advertisements

Have not been on here for awhile so decided to share some photos,

Zephyr did some lure coursing this last weekend. He was entered in the singles stake run and managed to win 3rd place! It was a windy cold rainy day but he had fun and that made it worth it. They each get two runs and his first one he tumbled at the first turn and at first I was thinking he slipped on the wet grass but watching a video a friend shot with her phone it looks like he may have tripped on the line that pulls the lure as he crossed it right as the lures passes the corner and him. It looks like he tripped and the lure operator stopped it right away as that line could slice his leg or paw and cause serious injury. My heart stopped for a minute but he tumbled and popped back up and ran at the lure so the operator got it going and he finished his run. He was not injured and even ended up with a score that put him in a tie 3rd place then on his next run he ran better than the dog that has been tied for 3rd and most of the others too so he got 3rd. I love watching him run as a sighthound running at top speed is a beautiful sight. This was a big National show so the ribbons are huge. Where we normally run there are no ribbons winners just get a toy.

Zephyr and his ribbon the next day. We did not do the professional winners photos that day as we were so cold and wet I just wanted to get back to the hotel so the next day my friend took the photo with her phone.

Waiting for the hunt master to yell " Tally Ho"

A cool down walk after coming off the course.

Today we puppy sat our friends 8 month old puppy Champ for a few hours so took him walking. left to right is Chaos, Champ and Zephyr. Champ has caught on well to posing on rocks for photos!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2023, 06:17 AM

10,317 posts, read 6,871,441 times
Yes, they are beautiful when they run.

Also, yes, the line pulling the lure can act like a buzz saw because it's moving so fast, and paws are not.

Was up in Moorpark at an event not long ago, getting points for my dog. (He's finished now.)

https://youtu.be/dt3fbCt-R_8

https://youtu.be/UEnk2YNjVM0

(Not my dog, just some race practice in San Diego.)

Old 03-27-2023, 11:01 AM

32,668 posts, read 48,116,742 times
He's such a beauty.

And kudos to your lure operator who is so quick to react and paying such close attention so the dogs don't get injured.

Old 03-27-2023, 01:21 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,595,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
He's such a beauty.

And kudos to your lure operator who is so quick to react and paying such close attention so the dogs don't get injured.
Thanks. yes we were lucky to have that lure operator as he is good. Several people also had tools to cut the line if they noticed something that could become dangerous happening as they do try to keep the dogs safe as can be. There were two soccer goals in the center of the field and they were wrapped several feet out with plastic fencing as with lure coursing the course is not straight and did go up around them but was a distance away, however some of the dogs will cut across a course as they know where the lure is heading. The danger there is they are so focused on the lure and can run into things. Traveling at about 30mph hitting a pole of tree can be deadly. One of our Judges had that happen in the past so he makes sure the course is safe. the owner of that dog was there too and I can not imagine the horror of seeing that happen it was frightening enough when I saw Zephyr go down and tumble.

Norty Flatz the reddish dog in I think it was the 2nd video looks like another Silken Windhound. There are a number of them down in Orange County and San Diego. Was the Moorpark event one of the Dash dog ones?

Old 03-29-2023, 06:41 PM

10,317 posts, read 6,871,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post

Norty Flatz the reddish dog in I think it was the 2nd video looks like another Silken Windhound. There are a number of them down in Orange County and San Diego. Was the Moorpark event one of the Dash dog ones?
Good eye! Yes, that is a "Silken."

Also, yes, the Moorpark event was a "Dash Dog" event, put on by the Greater LA Scentwork Club. Fast CAT

It was my first time "releasing" my dog (BIG mistake!) He ran about 20 yards, slowed and began to sniff. Then I called him back to the starting box. That was his only DNF. Had another person (that my dog didn't know) release him. Over the next 3 runs (2 days) he earned 87+ AKC points. Since then, he has earned more that enough to acquire another title. It is fun watching my dog run. He's a Desoto, compared to the Corvettes/Ferraris (Whippets/Silkens.) Those dogs are just on another level.

I think of Silkens/Whippets as NHRA. Launches like crazy, with great top speed.

I think of my Cav as IMSA. Decent launch, turns great but gives away a lot of top speed. (He's been clocked at 19+ MPH average for Fast CAT.) That's s-l-o-w.

Greyhounds are like NASCAR. Good top speed, but take a lap to get there. Tight turns are worthless. Needs large sweeping turns for aero to work.

Rottweilers are slow and look for short cuts! Or cold cuts, I dunno.

It's a hoot watching all these (and many more) breeds, strut their stuff. Some dogs really surprise (both ways.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs