Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2023, 02:56 PM

2,027 posts, read 3,346,284 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had a dog who got an ear Hematoma?

Has anyone had the experience of trying to let it re-absorb on it's own?

My dog has no ear problems (infections, itch, etc.) She was never scratching her ear or shaking her head, that we saw. She may have gotten it by having her head out the car window while riding

She's a rescue and is 12 years old. I've been in contact with the shelter administrator who is also a vet tech. Cookie (dog) did not have any ear problems while she was there (2 yrs) and has not had any while she's been with us (almost 2 years). The admin did say that sometimes they go away, but it also could burst and be a bloody mess.

The treatments look so awful and painful i just hate for her to have to go thru it if this will remedy itself on its own. It's gotten bigger in the last day, so i did make a vet appt. - over a week away because that's the soonest they had.

Just wondering if others have had experiences. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2023, 05:30 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,736,685 times
We had one on a 8-year old Airedale. One ear only. The vet made a cut, sucked out the fluid, stitched it tight. The stitches were removed later and for a while he was all right, then we had another one. Total cost was close to $ 1,000, 4 or 5 different visits.

When he developed another a year later in the same location, I let it go. It wasn't painful unless I touched his ear. It went away 4 months later without any medical intervention and didn't return in the last 3 years. It didn't bleed, but the ear was swollen. Your mileage might vary.

Old 03-24-2023, 07:37 PM

2,027 posts, read 3,346,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
We had one on a 8-year old Airedale. One ear only. The vet made a cut, sucked out the fluid, stitched it tight. The stitches were removed later and for a while he was all right, then we had another one. Total cost was close to $ 1,000, 4 or 5 different visits.

When he developed another a year later in the same location, I let it go. It wasn't painful unless I touched his ear. It went away 4 months later without any medical intervention and didn't return in the last 3 years. It didn't bleed, but the ear was swollen. Your mileage might vary.
Thanks so much for sharing your info.

Old 03-25-2023, 09:12 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Keep the Vet appt. Make sure What it is! Could be a bug Bite Could be anything But what ever it is KEEP your dogs head Inside the car & be Thankful its Not his Eyes!

Old 03-25-2023, 11:55 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Surgery is the usual treatment, drain, and then the vet uses "buttons" to hold the two halves together. I've never left one untreated, but it my understanding that they will eventually be reabsorbed, but leave the ear crinkled.

Its minor minor surgery, very little more than a fancy stitch job, but the reliable anesthetic has become extremely expensive and in short supply, and that is why the procedure costs so much for what you are getting.

Old 03-25-2023, 04:11 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Surgery is the usual treatment, drain, and then the vet uses "buttons" to hold the two halves together. I've never left one untreated, but it my understanding that they will eventually be reabsorbed, but leave the ear crinkled.
I've only known one person whose dog developed an aural hematoma. Because it wasn't large and the dog reliably left it alone, they opted to let it reabsorb. It did, but the dog's ear was permanently disfigured.

Old 03-25-2023, 08:52 PM

17,352 posts, read 16,492,563 times
Our Staffy mix developed a hematoma in one of her ears when she was younger, maybe 1 or 2? She's now almost 12.

Her hematoma was not a large one but it was very obvious on her ear. We took her to the vet and the vet drained it with the understanding that it might recur.

It never recurred.

Old 03-26-2023, 11:56 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,584,576 times
Many years ago my first dog was a cocker spaniel and when she was bout 12 she developed a large hematoma on her ear flap. The vet decided to just let it be and it did reabsorb but it took many months to do so.

Old 03-28-2023, 02:12 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,118,738 times
My beautiful Frenchie had hematoma. My vet drained it multiple times to no avail and finally did surgery. That solved the hematoma problem but his ear was permanently disfigured. Broke my heart. Wolfgang was a magnificent Frenchie...perfect in every way but this ear that no longer stood up.

Old 03-28-2023, 04:59 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,401,356 times
I strongly urge you to have it drained as soon as possible. One of our rescue dogs, a Black Lab named Kohla, had horrible ear issues from allergies. The allergies made him prone to ear hematomas. We had only one burst, and it was bad. I had to repaint the kitchen because it looked like a slaughterhouse in there when it let go. I was assured by our vet that it looked worse than it was. Trust me when I say you do not want to go through that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs