Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2023, 07:29 AM

634 posts, read 401,315 times

Advertisements

UPDATE:
I finally got her X-Ray report yesterday. She has an aggressive tumour in her elbow which for now can be managed with medication (pain killers). She's still got a great appetite and is happy to bounce around in the backyard, so the vet suggests another X-Ray in 1-2 MONTHS! I'm not sure if she'll last that long, but I'll be keeping an eye on her and if there are any signs the meds are wearing off and she's hurting then it will be time to let her go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2023, 12:32 PM

5,016 posts, read 10,709,352 times

I’m so sorry. We knew it was a possibility but it’s never easy when you get the news. Just keep her happy and comfortable during the time that you both have left together.

Old 03-30-2023, 11:22 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,333,416 times
Is she a good Canidate for surgery?

Old 03-31-2023, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Is she a good Canidate for surgery?
She will be 16 later this year, so she's too old to withstand the anesthetic or any major surgery.

Old 03-31-2023, 03:01 PM

5,016 posts, read 10,709,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceira View Post
She will be 16 later this year, so she's too old to withstand the anesthetic or any major surgery.
Not to mention that chemo and radiation would be difficult for her as well, and futile given that it is bone cancer. Again, so sorry that you and your dog are going through this.

Old 04-01-2023, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Not to mention that chemo and radiation would be difficult for her as well, and futile given that it is bone cancer. Again, so sorry that you and your dog are going through this.
Exactly! I'd never put my dog through that torture, and for what? I know she doesn't have much time left and as soon as she exhibits signs that the painkillers have stopped working, then it will be a decisive and sad day.

My neighbour adopts senior dogs all the time (bless her heart) and spends $$$$$$'s on various treatments, e.g. one had a knee replacement, another chemo and radiation, another had custom built leg braces etc. etc. She told me last week the knee replacement had to be removed as his body was rejecting it and she doesn't know if she can make her mortgage payment These are all dogs in their teen years. On one hand I admire her humanity, but on the other, there's a time to say goodbye.

Old 04-01-2023, 02:14 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,006,278 times
Quote:
Exactly! I'd never put my dog through that torture, and for what? I know she doesn't have much time left and as soon as she exhibits signs that the painkillers have stopped working, then it will be a decisive and sad day.

My neighbour adopts senior dogs all the time (bless her heart) and spends $$$$$$'s on various treatments, e.g. one had a knee replacement, another chemo and radiation, another had custom built leg braces etc. etc. She told me last week the knee replacement had to be removed as his body was rejecting it and she doesn't know if she can make her mortgage payment These are all dogs in their teen years. On one hand I admire her humanity, but on the other, there's a time to say goodbye.
I'm sorry to hear the updated news, but I'm not surprised. Several years ago we had a particular hound who I was deeply attached to. Aggressive cancer at a mere 7 years of age. We were doing the gabapentin/tramadol combo for him, but quit giving it, as it made him so logy his last days wouldn't have been days to him at all. With him, the knowing was easy. His legs quit working properly, and it was obvious. Our vet was kind enough to stop by that evening, so he was at home and in my arms. Maybe your vet will be so gracious, as well.

Good luck.

Old 04-02-2023, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
I'm sorry to hear the updated news, but I'm not surprised. Several years ago we had a particular hound who I was deeply attached to. Aggressive cancer at a mere 7 years of age. We were doing the gabapentin/tramadol combo for him, but quit giving it, as it made him so logy his last days wouldn't have been days to him at all. With him, the knowing was easy. His legs quit working properly, and it was obvious. Our vet was kind enough to stop by that evening, so he was at home and in my arms. Maybe your vet will be so gracious, as well.

Good luck.
I had the same experience with my 10 y.o. greyhound 2 years ago. She had osteosarcoma in her rear leg. I spent thousands of dollars on diagnostics, consultants, clinic boarding for 3 days. Amputation was out of the question due to her age and she was so drugged up she didn't recognize me so euthanasia was the only option. Still haunts me to this day and I choke up every time I think of her.

I'll probably take Cleo in to the Vet's office rather than have him come to the house. I know I'll be in bits and an office appointment should be less sombre.

Old 04-04-2023, 10:17 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,508,547 times
Quote:
My 15 y.o. min poodle hurt her leg on Sunday so I took her to the vet on Monday. Her leg is swollen and she's limping. He did a full exam including X-Rays. In reviewing the X-Rays there seems to be a hole in the bone, but we won't know for sure until the Radiologist looks at it. She's on a myriad of meds at the moment and doesn't seem to be in any pain.

I'll get the results in a couple of days, but in the meantime I thought I'd post here to see if any of you have had similar experiences with your dogs. I'm thinking the worst of course.

Up to this point her quality of life was good even though she has canine dementia and cataracts. She enjoyed walks, running in the backyard, good appetite and I anticipated her being around for awhile longer. Now I'm not so sure.
Post picture...Im a xray/rad tech.

Old 04-05-2023, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Post picture...Im a xray/rad tech.
That's very kind of you. The vet has the X-Rays and the report so I'm going to email him to send me copies.
Your input would be very much appreciated. Thank you so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs