Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2023, 06:57 PM

20,835 posts, read 17,112,746 times

Advertisements

We have used the same dog walker for five years. Recently, the price increase caught our attention. We live on an Island so the walkers location is within 7 miles of our location. The 1/2 hour walk play and one time feeding went to $45.00 per visit and $5.00 fuel surcharge. Finally the new billing service is $9.95 per billing. Total comes to $51.80. The service is very flexible and very good. Our dog has good relationships with all their visitors. We would hate to change but @ 4 visits it's over $200.00 per day

I don't really have a metric to compare to. Can you provide some comparison. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2023, 02:13 PM

13,929 posts, read 39,310,687 times
Why does your dog need a Dog Walker 4 times a DAY? Why are you not walking him? Dog Walkers are for Walks between the 8 hours while the owner is Working. You should be walking the dog Before you go to work After work & before Bedtime. Walker should walk dog in the Middle of your work shift. 1 Visit per day!!

Old 03-17-2023, 02:30 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Why does your dog need a Dog Walker 4 times a DAY? Why are you not walking him? Dog Walkers are for Walks between the 8 hours while the owner is Working. You should be walking the dog Before you go to work After work & before Bedtime. Walker should walk dog in the Middle of your work shift. 1 Visit per day!!
Not everyone works traditional 8-hour shifts (those in the medical field, for instance...). And no one owes you an explanation of their pet care choices.

Idk, OP, but this unnecessary nickel-and-diming

Quote:
Finally the new billing service is $9.95 per billing.
would cause me to look elsewhere.

There's a reliable dog walker near my home who charges $20 per hour.

Old 03-17-2023, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I did'nt ask for your opinion on my life. thanks just the same. go away.

Old 03-17-2023, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Not everyone works traditional 8-hour shifts (those in the medical field, for instance...). And no one owes you an explanation of their pet care choices.

Idk, OP, but this unnecessary nickel-and-diming

would cause me to look elsewhere.

There's a reliable dog walker near my home who charges $20 per hour.
Thank you.

Old 03-17-2023, 07:02 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,895,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
We have used the same dog walker for five years. Recently, the price increase caught our attention. We live on an Island so the walkers location is within 7 miles of our location. The 1/2 hour walk play and one time feeding went to $45.00 per visit and $5.00 fuel surcharge. Finally the new billing service is $9.95 per billing. Total comes to $51.80. The service is very flexible and very good. Our dog has good relationships with all their visitors. We would hate to change but @ 4 visits it's over $200.00 per day

I don't really have a metric to compare to. Can you provide some comparison. Thank you in advance.
Surely it would be cheaper to just employ someone to look after the dog all day including walks etc? That seems to be the metric you should be comparing to, not the hourly rate a dog walker charges because that price structure is based around one walk once a day.

Old 03-18-2023, 05:57 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,700,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post

Most people around here charge a flat rate of $10-20/hour. So, $50/hr. seems very pricey to me. The best thing to do, however, is to shop around, as every place is different. If others are charging that much, then you’re kind of stuck.

FWIW, if they do a good job and you can afford them, then I wouldn’t second guess the service, if only because it’s not worth it if someone agrees to do the job for $20/hr. and ends up losing your dog (or something along those lines).

Old 03-19-2023, 12:21 PM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,642,313 times
Sorry if it upsets you but my first thought was also that four visits a day seems excessive. But of course it's your choice. When we still had a dog-walk0er (pre-COVID), we used to pay like $400-$450 a month, for one daily visit. I guess it was less when there was a holiday or two. We used to get a message and a photo from the walker every day.Some of the teenagers in my neighborhood have dogwalking businesses for much less but I have seen some behavior that I would not support, such as dragging a stalling dog, or not picking up after a dog.

Old 03-19-2023, 01:06 PM

8,420 posts, read 7,422,672 times
$50 for a half-hour walk and a feeding? You may be limited by living in a geographic area where there's no competition in the dog walking services gig.

Around my area (a midwestern metro suburb) dog walkers charge half of that.

I was even considering putting my dog in a "doggy day care" at one point. Drop the dog off on one's way to work in the early 6 AM or 7 AM, pick the dog up after work no later than 7 PM. Dog would be allocated a spot in one of the play yards with other dogs in roughly the same size range, supervised by handlers, brought into a large inside play area if the weather turned bad, the handlers will feed the dog mid-day meal if the owner provides the food. Some places even have online live video feeds so people can check on the play areas during the work day. Prices ranged from $30 to $40 per day.

But then COVID...and we all now work from home. The dog is much happier with this arrangement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs